Last day in port, do i dare go to horseshoe beach?

jojo412

Hi all!

I'm rethinking our schedule for the three days were in port and considering going to Horseshoe Bay on the last day, Friday. We are on the Summit and I believe all aboard will be around 4pm which should leave us plenty of time to enjoy the relatively empty beach (since most folks will want to stay close to the ship the last day).

We are planning to take the $7shuttle fairly early around 9am, but a few concerns:

-I read that those shuttles wait until they are filled up before they start going. On the last day, not many people will go to the beach, so will we be waiting around forever while the driver tries to fill up the shuttle?

-same concern going back to the ship, and this one even more important..will we be waiting around and possibly delayed because the driver is waiting for more passengers to fill up the shuttle before departure?

-how much would a taxi cost back to the ship in an emergency scenario (2 people)

-should we even consider this and just play on the safe side, go to horseshoe one of the other port days, and stay close to the ship with the most?

Thank you for any input and advice!!

Check the Dockyard calendar for your sailing dates - the Breakaway will be there along with the Summit, most of the time, if I'm not mistaken. BA leave at 3 PM ship/Bermuda time (not EDT or New York time, which is 2 PM) ahead of the Summit - there will be folks at Horsebay leaving earlier than you to get back to the wharf's to not miss the sailing. Just make sure your clock is properly sync. and you have the port agent/ship's phone # to call in the unlikely case of a flat tire, etc. - and, allow sufficient time to get back from the beach.

See this post earlier this month by Charles - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50297121&postcount=3

Shared shuttles should be running & worst case, $34.50 for a taxi that up to 4 pax from HB to Dockyard.

Most people will be hanging out at/around Dockyard, the Clocktower Mall was packed, etc. - we're there last month & wall-to-wall cruise ship pax hanging out near the ships. Go early to HB and get 3 to 4 hours on the beach, then - get return to the ship.

Edited by mking8288

Hi all!

I'm rethinking our schedule for the three days were in port and considering going to Horseshoe Bay on the last day, Friday. We are on the Summit and I believe all aboard will be around 4pm which should leave us plenty of time to enjoy the relatively empty beach (since most folks will want to stay close to the ship the last day).

We are planning to take the $7shuttle fairly early around 9am, but a few concerns:

-I read that those shuttles wait until they are filled up before they start going. On the last day, not many people will go to the beach, so will we be waiting around forever while the driver tries to fill up the shuttle?

-same concern going back to the ship, and this one even more important..will we be waiting around and possibly delayed because the driver is waiting for more passengers to fill up the shuttle before departure?

On Friday June 10 we took a $7 shuttle at 8:35 am to Horseshoe. Our shuttle filled up almost immediately and we were on the beach at 9:05. There are a lot less at the beach on Friday but there were still plenty. We were at the shuttle loading area to return at 1:00, we got right on a minibus and it filled right up. There was really no wait. Got back at 1:30 which was plenty of time. There were even passengers from the Breakaway on the shuttles we took both ways who had an earlier departure than ours. Ours on Summit is at 4:00. Even time for us to walk around the Dockyard a couple of hours. Really there is no problem for Summit passengers to do Horseshoe the last day and have four good beach hours with no stress. This is the second year in a row I have gone to Horseshoe on Friday with our 4:00 all aboard and there was no long wait for the minibus to fill up either year. We were not the last ones to leave, there were plenty left on the beach and there were a bunch of minibus shuttles parked there to go back.

Edited by Charles4515

On Friday June 10 we took a $7 shuttle at 8:35 am to Horseshoe. Our shuttle filled up almost immediately and we were on the beach at 9:05. There are a lot less at the beach on Friday but there were still plenty. We were at the shuttle loading area to return at 1:00, we got right on a minibus and it filled right up. There was really no wait. Got back at 1:30 which was plenty of time. There were even passengers from the Breakaway on the shuttles we took both ways who had an earlier departure than ours. Ours on Summit is at 4:00. Even time for us to walk around the Dockyard a couple of hours. Really there is no problem for Summit passengers to do Horseshoe the last day and have four good beach hours with no stress. This is the second year in a row I have gone to Horseshoe on Friday with our 4:00 all aboard and there was no long wait for the minibus to fill up either year. We were not the last ones to leave, there were plenty left on the beach and there were a bunch of minibus shuttles parked there to go back.

Sorry for tagging along on your question, jojo412. I was wondering something similar. Only, we are not going as "far" as Horseshoe Bay. We are thinking of taking a 4-hour boat rental from Somerset Village area starting at 9:45 am. That means we have to get back to that wharf by 2pm. Research tells me that King's Wharf is only 15 mins away by bus from Somerset and even closer if I take a taxi for our family of 4 (and even affordable at $14.50 or something for the taxi). The most recent Dailies from the Summit says "All Aboard" at 4pm.

Can the experienced travelers here confirm that our plan to do that boat rental is do-able on our last morning? Thanks lots!!

Sorry for tagging along on your question, jojo412. I was wondering something similar. Only, we are not going as "far" as Horseshoe Bay. We are thinking of taking a 4-hour boat rental from Somerset Village area starting at 9:45 am. That means we have to get back to that wharf by 2pm. Research tells me that King's Wharf is only 15 mins away by bus from Somerset and even closer if I take a taxi for our family of 4 (and even affordable at $14.50 or something for the taxi). The most recent Dailies from the Summit says "All Aboard" at 4pm.

Can the experienced travelers here confirm that our plan to do that boat rental is do-able on our last morning? Thanks lots!!

The Summit all aboard is 4 PM, has been the last three years including a few weeks ago. I have not done a boat rental from Somerset the last day but my opinion is that it is doable as you woud be done by 2:00. Somerset is not that far, 10 or so minutes by taxi. And several have reported doing rentals Somerset Bridge Sports or rentals from H2O, also in Somerset Village, the last day. Someone reported the taxi didn't come promptly to pick them up which caused them a little stress but they managed to get back to the Dockyard in time.