Staggered Check-in Bag Drop Off at New Orleans?

If I don't check in until 10:30 - 11 (my assigned time) can I still drop bags to the porters earlier (say 9 a.m.)? And is there someplace I could then walk to to buy some coffee and view the river?

(I posted about coffee in NOLA group, too, but figured this is more a Carnival question.)

Sadly, I live only 45 minutes from New Orleans but still get lost in the city. Is the port by the Riverwalk Mall?

If I don't check in until 10:30 - 11 (my assigned time) can I still drop bags to the porters earlier (say 9 a.m.)? And is there someplace I could then walk to to buy some coffee and view the river?

(I posted about coffee in NOLA group, too, but figured this is more a Carnival question.)

Sadly, I live only 45 minutes from New Orleans but still get lost in the city. Is the port by the Riverwalk Mall?

I don't see why you can't drop off your baggage because where you drop that off, is before you actually go through the doors to enter the terminal. There's places to walk in New Orleans, but nothing that close. It would be several blocks, maybe even more than a mile. That's what I'm remembering from when we were there the end of January.

I'm amending my original statement. Looking at a map it's quite possible that on the other side from where we entered there may be things closer to the port, but I can not say. Hopefully others can be more helpful. Sorry.

Edited by Rh2458

The port is just down from the Riverwalk Mall.

It is just below the John Churchill Chase Station on the street car.

Here is a map:

https://goo.gl/maps/UZy8ixy9PV22

I was looking at that map, and I'll admit I'm a little directionally (for lack of a better word) challenged in the sense it was hard to tell scale and what that distance would actually be to the Riverwalk when looking at a map. The way we came into the port also didn't seem like it was conducive to walking. We were stuck in traffic in a cab waiting for a parade to assemble in the staging lot and watched a person dragging their luggage (obviously they had gotten a little impatient! ha!) somewhere. We assumed to the terminal. They were weaving in and out of traffic and really and I'm not remembering too many sidewalks in that area.

I'm directionally challenged to and remembered nothing near the port. But that's close enough to the Riverwalk for me to walk, if they'll take my bags early.

I'm from the area (though not New Orleans itself), so I'm used to the 100% humidity! :)

After you park and drop off luggage, leave the terminal and you will see a set of stairs leading up to the Riverwalk. You can't miss it, no matter how challenged you are.

About half way through Riverwalk and down one level you will find a Cafe du Monde. Get a coffee and an order of donuts. There is a door leading out to a balcony overlooking the river. There is no finer way to start a cruise.

Also when you drop your bags ask the porter and he can direct right to the stairs to the Riverwalk and go find Cafe du Monde and then step outside, its really that simple. I am from right outside NOLA and know it well.

Cafe du Monde is pretty far down the river from the cruise terminal. That would be a heck of a walk, especially in the heat. If you can take the streetcar at least to Canal St. that would make the walk to Jackson Square, the Cathedral and Cafe du Monde a bit shorter.

Cafe du Monde is pretty far down the river from the cruise terminal. That would be a heck of a walk, especially in the heat. If you can take the streetcar at least to Canal St. that would make the walk to Jackson Square, the Cathedral and Cafe du Monde a bit shorter.

There is a Café du Monde at the Riverwalk also.