What to do? Booked room won't be big enough.

Mainergirl

The proof is in the deck plans that clearly show they sleep 4 when they don't. There is an issue and NCL should deal with it. They need to update their deck plans and they should work with her to find a reasonable solution too.

i VERY much agree with this!! The 2 br cabin I have in August - the room says it holds 6 - but when I called to add 1 more(we had 5 originaly) we were denied ..

I'm just wondering why a 9 and 11 yo need a nanny?? Can't these kids just go to the kids club or hang with their parents?

I dunno...to each their own I guess.

They probably would need to pay her regardless per her contractual agreement with them as she more than likely have a set vacay schedule that they can't upset

So either take her along and have her work or pay her and give a week off

I think this was mentioned several posts back and the op countered this argument but whatever the reason since the op is talking about family time I think they never should have invited her along in the first place and just paid her to stay home

However do you know any 9 and 11 year olds that can drive themselves to after school sports stuff?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

i VERY much agree with this!! The 2 br cabin I have in August - the room says it holds 6 - but when I called to add 1 more(we had 5 originaly) we were denied ..

It could have also had to with lifeboat capacity regardless of the deck plans

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree that it's perfectly reasonable for a 9 and 11 year old to have a nanny / babysitter. If both parents work, someone needs to pick them up from school or be home when they come home from school, and to possibly drive them to after school activities. In most states it is illegal for children to be home alone. In mine, you have to be 15 before you can be left home alone. When I was 10, I took the school bus to and from school. Parents were gone in the morning when I left I locked up when I left and let myself in when I got home. Nowadays, people would be calling DCFS if a 10 year old was left home alone.

But all this talk about contractual obligation has me curious... I guess maybe I am unfamiliar, but to me it makes sense for a live-in nanny to have a contract. Do nannies need a contract if they are only after-school babysitters?

Assuming OP has a contract with hers, I think I would have just given the nanny the week off. She still gets paid but she can relax at home. Then you don't incur the cost of her plane ticket, hotel room the night before, cabin, excursions, food pre and post cruise, etc. Especially since OP said the point of the vacation was to spend time together as a family.

I'm curious as to what the nanny would do during the day. I get that at night she probably sits in the suite and watches the children while they sleep, and the parents go out to the bars/shows etc. But during the day? OP wants "family time", so does that include the nanny? She's presumably treated like she is part of the family, but not really.

I have friends that put their live in nanny on their Christmas card and it's like they adopted a grown adult. I have others that treat theirs like hired help and make her eat her meals alone after the family is done. I guess everyone is different. I find the concept interesting.