What to do? Booked room won't be big enough.

Mainergirl

The cruise line did not screw up the OP decided to go cheap and put 3 people in one room and 2 people in another room - She got exactly what she paid for

The cruise line should not be having to give out free upgrades because someone decides to book people in separate rooms to save money they are getting exactly what they paid for - If they don't like the room choice then they need to upgrade or downgrade

I agree. It would be a totally different story if the OP booked the suite for 4 and then was told it only held 3, but they booked it for 3 and that is exactly what they got.

The cruise line did not screw up the OP decided to go cheap and put 3 people in one room and 2 people in another room - She got exactly what she paid for

The cruise line should not be having to give out free upgrades because someone decides to book people in separate rooms to save money they are getting exactly what they paid for - If they don't like the room choice then they need to upgrade or downgrade

The PCC knew that the child was going to be sleeping in the suite. The deck plan shows that 4 fit in the suite. Sounds like NCL is at fault here, no matter where the people are booked to sleep.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Talk to your steward or butler the first day about the sleeping arrangements - they will make it work.

We are talking about a 9 & an 11 year old - not 2 full grown adults.

Does the couch pull out to a bed or is it one of those couches they just make up as a bed?

If it is a pull out bed, they may both fit on it unless they are giant children.

If the couch itself is made up as a bed, there will be plenty of room for one kid to sleep on the floor in front of the couch - ask for foam mattress topper. They can take turns.

If NCL is the one that suggested it was best to put one of the children in the room with the nanny and told the OP she could still have the child in her room in actuality - I would say that is an error on behalf on NCL. We as customers are spending a great deal of money to have their reps provide invalid or incorrect information. It wasn't like the OP did her booking online without any guidance from a supposed knowledgeable rep working for NCL.

If NCL is the one that suggested it was best to put one of the children in the room with the nanny and told the OP she could still have the child in her room in actuality - I would say that is an error on behalf on NCL. We as customers are spending a great deal of money to have their reps provide invalid or incorrect information. It wasn't like the OP did her booking online without any guidance from a supposed knowledgeable rep working for NCL.

I agree that it appears to be an error on NCL's part. OP told PCC she wanted 4 of them in one room and the nanny would have an inside room across the hall. This would make OP pay for a single supplement for the nanny's room. PCC suggested to book nanny and a child in the inside, thereby avoiding the supplement, and told OP that her room could sleep 4, so just have the child sleep in her room.

I don't think anyone is disputing these facts. However, as mentioned in a post above, what would OP have done if told that this wouldn't work? Would she in fact have just found a different set of rooms?

OP's mentality is that "NCL lied to me, now I am going to MAKE THEM PAY". She wants them to give her a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite.

The part I am not understanding is... are there absolutely no other room combinations where OP's desired sleeping arrangements would work? Are there no more rooms available that can sleep 4, with an open inside across the hall? Or perhaps OP has her heart set on the suite she wanted.

So in the end, it seems like there are several options:

1) Pay to upgrade to the 2 bedroom

2) OP and husband share the bed with the younger child; older child on couch bed

3) OP (or husband) share the bed with both children; other adult gets the couch bed

4) OP and husband in the bed; one child on the couch bed; other child on the floor

I understand why #1 might not be palatable, but I don't get why none of the others seem like a good solution. OP seems fixated on the fact that NCL "lied" to her and because of this lie she feels like they need to "make it right" and upgrade her for free. I agree with others that she should needs to move on, employ one of the other solutions, and not allow this to affect her enjoyment of the cruise.

It just seemed several posts indicated it was the OP's fault in the first place for going the cheap route. Though personally I don't see what the big deal is with having one even sleep over with the nanny.

I could see where she would be upset and I do think she should in some way expect NCL to make it work for her.

Yes, there was no other reason for trying to do this other than to avoid the single supplement. It IS a big deal. Just ask single cruisers.

Doesn't matter who's "mistake" it was. If they want 4 in the room- NO they shouldn't "just tell the steward". They need to pay the double cost for the single room. Why should they have an advantage? Or is this going to be the new loop hole pricing method??

I agree that it appears to be an error on NCL's part. OP told PCC she wanted 4 of them in one room and the nanny would have an inside room across the hall. This would make OP pay for a single supplement for the nanny's room. PCC suggested to book nanny and a child in the inside, thereby avoiding the supplement, and told OP that her room could sleep 4, so just have the child sleep in her room.

I don't think anyone is disputing these facts. However, as mentioned in a post above, what would OP have done if told that this wouldn't work? Would she in fact have just found a different set of rooms?

OP's mentality is that "NCL lied to me, now I am going to MAKE THEM PAY". She wants them to give her a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite.

The part I am not understanding is... are there absolutely no other room combinations where OP's desired sleeping arrangements would work? Are there no more rooms available that can sleep 4, with an open inside across the hall? Or perhaps OP has her heart set on the suite she wanted.

So in the end, it seems like there are several options:

1) Pay to upgrade to the 2 bedroom

2) OP and husband share the bed with the younger child; older child on couch bed

3) OP (or husband) share the bed with both children; other adult gets the couch bed

4) OP and husband in the bed; one child on the couch bed; other child on the floor

I understand why #1 might not be palatable, but I don't get why none of the others seem like a good solution. OP seems fixated on the fact that NCL "lied" to her and because of this lie she feels like they need to "make it right" and upgrade her for free. I agree with others that she should needs to move on, employ one of the other solutions, and not allow this to affect her enjoyment of the cruise.

Another option would be for them to keep things as is - The parents go sleep in the inside room and let the nanny sleep on the pull out and the 2 kids to sleep on the queen size

Not that it's my business but why does one bring a Nanny for a 9 and 11 year old

Another option would be for them to keep things as is - The parents go sleep in the inside room and let the nanny sleep on the pull out and the 2 kids to sleep on the queen size

Not that it's my business but why does one bring a Nanny for a 9 and 11 year old

More than likely because she is an au pair or something and they have set schedules and time off

If they left her home they must pay her even though the kids are not there

They can't force her to take her vacation time just because they are away

She probably already has her time in her own agreed upon or may have used it up already so they are taking her and she will work her agreed upon hours...if needed...or they can give her less hours...but not more hours...unless paid and agreed upon per contractual obligations

So the parents can either

1. Leave her home but still pay her

Or

2. Take her with them. Pay her And pay for her cruise and still have her work for them..at the contracted number of hours

From what I understand...if she is an au pair she cannot be forced to share a room with the kids...and that may in fact be the underlying issue as the parents signed a contract to this effect

this is not just some babysitter they are taking along...this is more than likely a contracted au pair situation and that's why the op wanted to book a cabin that slept 4 expecting to juggle once onboard so she was not in conflict with the au pair contract

Fwiw...why does a 9 and 11 yo need a nanny?

Well maybe not on the ship....but how many kids that age can drive themselves to after school activities etc when both parents work?

Nannys are a viable and respected option so please no need to question their use

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the issue really is getting 4 to fit in a penthouse suite that sleeps 3, then purchase a twin air bed and a sleeping bag. It may not be easy, but you will be able to find a place to put a bed on the floor someplace. Make the kids take turns, every other night, sofa or floor.

There.

Done.

The 2 bedroom gives the nanny no privacy unless they let her have the bedroom and make the kids share the couch in the living room.

Can't remember if the Garden Villa is an option but that's what I'd want. Or the 2 bedroom along with an inside so the nanny could have some privacy.

Or maybe the au pair is from another country and she wanted to join them and they agreed. It's not unusual -- especially for upper middle class families with 2 working parents -- to have an au pair who can take kids to after-school activities.

The impression I got from the original post was that the person OP spoke to suggested the 3 + 2 arrangement. Since OP asked -- and was told -- that the cabin where she booked 3 of her party could accommodate 4, I'm not sure what she did wrong here.

However the mix-up happened, at this point, I'd be checking the upsell line to see how little it might cost to upgrade to the 2 bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or maybe the au pair is from another country and she wanted to join them and they agreed. It's not unusual -- especially for upper middle class families with 2 working parents -- to have an au pair who can take kids to after-school activities.

The impression I got from the original post was that the person OP spoke to suggested the 3 + 2 arrangement. Since OP asked -- and was told -- that the cabin where she booked 3 of her party could accommodate 4, I'm not sure what she did wrong here.

However the mix-up happened, at this point, I'd be checking the upsell line to see how little it might cost to upgrade to the 2 bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly the issue. The PCC suggested the 3+2 arrangement and told her it would save her money, and assured her that the "3" room could in fact actually sleep 4.

The 2 Bedroom seems to be another solution. The issue now is that OP believes that because she was given wrong information, NCL should upgrade her for free to accommodate her plan of trying to save some money.

I have no idea how that conversation would even go... "Uh, hi, we are a family of 4 plus a nanny. We wanted to have the suite and have the nanny in an inside room across the hall. Your PCC told us to book one of the kids in the inside with the nanny so we wouldn't have to pay the single supplement. The kid doesn't want to sleep in the room with the nanny so was going to sleep in the suite with the rest of us. Your PCC assured us that the suite slept 4 and that we could have this arrangement and not tell NCL so we wouldn't be charged the supplement. I found out it doesn't in fact sleep 4. Your PCC gave us information to cheat the system and save money, and she was wrong. Now I feel you should upgrade us for free to a 2 bedroom suite that accommodate everyone."

OP keeps saying that she wasn't the one that suggested this cost-saving arrangement, that it was the PCC. I don't think it matters. An effort was made to cheat the system, and that effort has failed. Just because the effort was led by a PCC doesn't mean that now OP should get something for nothing. The PCC shouldn't have even suggested that in the first place as the PCC is supposed to be a representative of NCL and shouldn't be telling people how to cheat. She was wrong, but you don't rectify a wrong with another wrong.

Edited by blackwing

Then you are saying ncl lied to her I guess?

Some of the NCL representatives have actually acknowledged their error in telling us that the room could sleep 4, so you can call it lying, though I think it was likely just an error -- but one that the company is making me pay for by taking my $ for a room that is what I asked for/needed. Their error is my problem: that is their message loud and clear.

I think this is the OP's position. She is not saying that anyone at NCL lied -- just that someone at NCL made a mistake and that NCL should fix it. Other posters have used the "l" word.

I guess it boils down to what's reasonable fir NCL to reflect their error. I get the impression that it's not the money (or at least not just the money) that's the issue here. OP probably would have happily paid for the "right" sized room had the NCL staffer not suggested this as a less-expensive alternative after assuring her that it would work. It's having NCL acknowledge that a mistake was made and have some gesture be made to fix it. Maybe not just putting OP in the 2 bed suite, but moving to a room that accommodates 4 or charging 1/2 the upsell price?

I think this is the OP's position. She is not saying that anyone at NCL lied -- just that someone at NCL made a mistake and that NCL should fix it. Other posters have used the "l" word.

I guess it boils down to what's reasonable fir NCL to reflect their error. I get the impression that it's not the money (or at least not just the money) that's the issue here. OP probably would have happily paid for the "right" sized room had the NCL staffer not suggested this as a less-expensive alternative after assuring her that it would work. It's having NCL acknowledge that a mistake was made and have some gesture be made to fix it. Maybe not just putting OP in the 2 bed suite, but moving to a room that accommodates 4 or charging 1/2 the upsell price?

I don't agree with this part. If it wasn't about the money, she could just upgrade to the 2 bedroom villa. But as she said in her original post:

My husband is frustrated and feels that NCL made the error and should pay for our upgrade to the family suite. In reality, one of our kids could share the room with our nanny, but neither wants to, and it kind of ruins our plans for family time.

They want NCL to acknowledge the mistake by giving them a free upgrade.

I guess it's all about the difference in thinking amongst people. Some want to "cast blame" and demand restitution. Others chalk up mistakes to being human, and look for a solution.

OP has been given multiple suggested solutions in this thread (none of which involve NCL giving her the free upgrade she wants). I hope one of them works out for her. The worst way to start a cruise is by being resentful and ticked off. Relax and enjoy.

This is a one sided, self serving report. A LOT of assumptions, especially with the "NCL" "said, suggested, etc", sorry, I don't buy this.

I can more likely see this conversation, "I'm looking for 2 rooms, one for our family of 4 and we are bringing a nanny",, how much will that cost? OHHHH, why so much??? Oh a single supplement?? I didn't' realize, OK, is it CHEAPER, to have my son/daughter room with her? OK, great. "

This is a one sided, self serving report. A LOT of assumptions, especially with the "NCL" "said, suggested, etc", sorry, I don't buy this.

I can more likely see this conversation, "I'm looking for 2 rooms, one for our family of 4 and we are bringing a nanny",, how much will that cost? OHHHH, why so much??? Oh a single supplement?? I didn't' realize, OK, is it CHEAPER, to have my son/daughter room with her? OK, great. "

Why are you automatically assuming the poster is lying? They've seemed quite straightforward to me.

It IS possible for cruise lines to make mistakes, folks. Not everyone on the internet with a problem is a lying greedy jerk.

Why are you automatically assuming the poster is lying? They've seemed quite straightforward to me.

It IS possible for cruise lines to make mistakes, folks. Not everyone on the internet with a problem is a lying greedy jerk.

The proof is in the deck plans that clearly show they sleep 4 when they don't. There is an issue and NCL should deal with it. They need to update their deck plans and they should work with her to find a reasonable solution too.

That's exactly the issue. The PCC suggested the 3+2 arrangement and told her it would save her money, and assured her that the "3" room could in fact actually sleep 4.

The 2 Bedroom seems to be another solution. The issue now is that OP believes that because she was given wrong information, NCL should upgrade her for free to accommodate her plan of trying to save some money.

I have no idea how that conversation would even go... "Uh, hi, we are a family of 4 plus a nanny. We wanted to have the suite and have the nanny in an inside room across the hall. Your PCC told us to book one of the kids in the inside with the nanny so we wouldn't have to pay the single supplement. The kid doesn't want to sleep in the room with the nanny so was going to sleep in the suite with the rest of us. Your PCC assured us that the suite slept 4 and that we could have this arrangement and not tell NCL so we wouldn't be charged the supplement. I found out it doesn't in fact sleep 4. Your PCC gave us information to cheat the system and save money, and she was wrong. Now I feel you should upgrade us for free to a 2 bedroom suite that accommodate everyone."

OP keeps saying that she wasn't the one that suggested this cost-saving arrangement, that it was the PCC. I don't think it matters. An effort was made to cheat the system, and that effort has failed. Just because the effort was led by a PCC doesn't mean that now OP should get something for nothing. The PCC shouldn't have even suggested that in the first place as the PCC is supposed to be a representative of NCL and shouldn't be telling people how to cheat. She was wrong, but you don't rectify a wrong with another wrong.

LOVE IT I could only imagine how that conversation would go

More than likely because she is an au pair or something and they have set schedules and time off

If they left her home they must pay her even though the kids are not there

They can't force her to take her vacation time just because they are away

She probably already has her time in her own agreed upon or may have used it up already so they are taking her and she will work her agreed upon hours...if needed...or they can give her less hours...but not more hours...unless paid and agreed upon per contractual obligations

So the parents can either

1. Leave her home but still pay her

Or

2. Take her with them. Pay her And pay for her cruise and still have her work for them..at the contracted number of hours

From what I understand...if she is an au pair she cannot be forced to share a room with the kids...and that may in fact be the underlying issue as the parents signed a contract to this effect

this is not just some babysitter they are taking along...this is more than likely a contracted au pair situation and that's why the op wanted to book a cabin that slept 4 expecting to juggle once onboard so she was not in conflict with the au pair contract

Fwiw...why does a 9 and 11 yo need a nanny?

Well maybe not on the ship....but how many kids that age can drive themselves to after school activities etc when both parents work?

Nannys are a viable and respected option so please no need to question their use

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jumping from the OP's own use of "Nanny" to an Au Pair's contractual protection concerning sharing a room with a child is not valid because the OP's own statement confirms this option is viable.

In reality, one of our kids could share the room with our nanny, but neither wants to, and it kind of ruins our plans for family time.

Reading the OP's story, it seems to be a completely innocent mistake by the PCC (based on bad NCL stateroom info) so it seems like a pretty straight forward very simple fix..... just makes me wonder if there is more to this

and.... interesting that the OP has not returned to let us know what has happened.... pet peeve... start a thread, ask for advice, etc and then never update those who have invested time looking up deck plans, uploading pictures to help, etc... (of course if I missed the OP's return with the 100+ posts.... same pet peeve, just not towards this OP - lol)

Edited by esm54687

The OP has been back several times, lastly on 7/20. Her update is below. I agree with someone else who posted to bring an air mattress and call it a day. The kids are 9 & 10 so thereabouts so not too big to share the third bed possibly too. Kids are resilient and they'll be fine. I only paid attention to this because I'm on this ship too, lol.

Update: so incredibly disappointed in NCL. I just got off the phone with one of their representatives (the third this week that I or my husband have spoken to). She informed me that her supervisor (who we asked to call us personally but who just passed her message on) refuses to do anything about this mix up. She reported to me that the room DOES in fact sleep 4 AS LONG AS one of the 4 is a baby. That's their position and they're sticking by it.

She basically had no response regarding NCL's responsibility to provide us with what we paid for. I tried to use the analogy that if you were buying a suit online, and you spent a long time on the phone with the salesperson to confirm that the pants of the suit had the style you liked, and you paid for it only to discover that the suit doesn't come with pants at all. :confused:

As we were speaking, she initially told me there were no rooms left on the ship that could accommodate us, but I could find that there are still three 2 BR suites available when I looked simultaneously. I remarked that it shocked me that NCL would choose to likely let those rooms go empty for the cruise and leave us very unhappy in our existing rooms rather than move us to a 2 BR (and probably be able to sell our existing rooms last minute at a profit). To me this is extraordinarily poor customer service. She then directed me to their Legal Notice which includes the following:

"NCL makes no representation or warranty as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this site. NCL reserves the right to change or modify any of the information contained in this Internet site or to the services described therein, without notice but we make no commitment to update such information. NCL SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS, INJURIES, SAVINGS, OR GOODWILL RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE INFORMATION PROVIDED FROM THIS SITE. You should therefore verify information obtained from this site before you act upon it by calling NCL or your travel agent, as applicable."

What makes me so sad here is that I DID call and verify the information before I acted on it, and they don't care.

This was supposed to be such a special vacation and now I don't even want to go....:(

Just an FYI .. NONE of the aft facing Penthouses on the Pearl hold 4 passengers, they ALL hold 3.. there are 2 forward facing penthouses that hold 4 --- 10500 and 10000 the rest hold 3 (it's because of the jut out that there is a double sofa bed)

All of this information is available on the deck plans which are open for view to anyone... so there is no reason that is should have come as a surprise that the cabin held 3...

I'd always have them available when booking to check on my own where the cabins are how many they hold.