Trip Insurance questions.

mustang1969

I was wondering if you had a medical issue on a cruise and have a very large bill will the trip insurance pay it or do you pay it and get reimburse by the medical part of the trip insurance. I will buying the insurance and was wondering how that works. Thanks.....

Some insurance companies pay first and others use your own medical insurance first and then they pay afterwards.

Most of the time you pay the bill and then deal with the insurance company about getting reimbursed.

You will need to read your insurance policy for the specific but MOST policies don't pay up front but rather reimburse. This includes on board or in port.

I recently read on book of faces a post regarding this very subject. The poster was very upset that she had to pay upfront. Others detailed experiences regarding having to sign promissory notes to be pain in 30 days to Carnival.

While I have first hand info regarding the promissory note I do not have first hand the 30 days to pay. I try not to post inaccurate information.

Also most insurance don't cover out of the US. I know Mom's Medicare covers nothing out of the country. I always get extra medical including evacuation when she sails with us.

Most policies will reimburse you so you have to pay upfront. However, I have seen policies that will guarantee the hospital or facility will get paid up to a certain amount so that you can be treated if it's a catastrophic illness or injury. But you need to check with each individual policy as they are all different.

If you have questions about insurance coverage, call InsureMyTrip. They are very knowledgeable and courteous.

I always buy TravelGuard insurance through my TA. I don't buy from the cruise line unless it is Princess, they have s great policy that you can add too. I buy extra, hospital of choice, more evacuation coverage, more coverage and still for most 7 day cruises are around $120to $125.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always buy primary insurance as they will pay first with you just paying the deductible. Not many insurance companies carry primary so you have to make sure before you but it. I always use insuremytrip.com since they offer so many different policies.

You will need to read your insurance policy for the specific but MOST policies don't pay up front but rather reimburse. This includes on board or in port.

I recently read on book of faces a post regarding this very subject. The poster was very upset that she had to pay upfront. Others detailed experiences regarding having to sign promissory notes to be pain in 30 days to Carnival.

While I have first hand info regarding the promissory note I do not have first hand the 30 days to pay. I try not to post inaccurate information.

Also most insurance don't cover out of the US. I know Mom's Medicare covers nothing out of the country. I always get extra medical including evacuation when she sails with us.

We're on Medicare, too. Our Medigap policy does cover out of the country with a $250 deductible and then 80/20 after that. 20% of a huge medivac bill would be awful so we purchase a policy that has primary coverage.

DH has health issues so we always get him "pre-existing condition" insurance. We're using "Travel Insured International" Insurance. It as what we're looking for in high coverage for foreign medical care($500,000) and evacuation to home or home hospital ($1,000,000). Of course it has the standard "cancel for any reason" and a bunch of travel stuff that we'd only need if we flew.

They came highly recommended by our TA who had some clients use it.

My cost is less than DH because of his "pre-existing" coverage. For the 2 of us it comes to around 7-8% of the cost of the cruise before taxes and port charges. Seems like a lot I know to some reading this but for us being retired it's comforting to know that our retirement savings won't be wiped out by a medical emergency on a cruise.

I forgot I always get preexisting condition too. I have used my insurance but not for a medical hospitalization while out of the country. I had to have emergency surgery and had 10 cruises booked, 5 had to be cancelled and three were already full pay. My TA took right over and I ended up losing $100 on one cruise, every penny besides that was refunded. Now I was badly hurt on my airfare, no refund and lost over $200 on one and $150 on another, but I was flying Alaska Air on one flight and they changed because of medical needs and didn't charge me a thing. Now I try to go Alaska Air as often as I can.

I don't think it is expensive at all for the peace of mind of knowing that almost everything will be paid, I will have hospital and doctor of choice and evacuation. I am happy to pay for that. I know if I only use it just once, I will be well worth the money.

I made friends with a couple I was dining with and his wife fell and broke her hip the second day of a 10 day cruise. They took her off the ship, brought her to the nearest hospital and flew her back to the USA. He told me that it was pretty much covered by their travel insurance policy. They always got preexisting because she has MS.

I was wondering if you had a medical issue on a cruise and have a very large bill will the trip insurance pay it or do you pay it and get reimburse by the medical part of the trip insurance. I will buying the insurance and was wondering how that works. Thanks.....

Not sure of your circumstances, however, if you are asking if travel insurance is worth it the answer is yes. Each company is different the way they pay. Read the fine print. I go through Travel Guard and I purchase it within 14 days of my deposit because that adds a rider to the policy that makes it Primary and allows pre-existing to be covered automatically. Plus my kids under 18 are covered for free.

I always buy primary insurance as they will pay first with you just paying the deductible. Not many insurance companies carry primary so you have to make sure before you but it. I always use insuremytrip.com since they offer so many different policies.

For a good many insurance providers that sell primary coverage, they will reimburse you covered amounts after you have paid the medical bills. If one has secondary coverage, you must first submit a claim to your primary insurance (such as non-travel personal health insurznce provider), and the secondary indurance coverage reimburses you eligible expenses remaining.

The term Primary Coverage generally does not mean that indurance company psys directly to the medical service providers.