A different type of dress thread

SS Cruise Lady

Within the Celebrity Fleet, formal nights on different cruises vary in their degree of formality, such as the number of tuxes vs dark suits, or evening gowns vs dressy pants. Based on your experience, which intineraries are more likely to be very formal and which are more apt to have a preponderance of dark suits and dressy pants worn on formal nights?

We've been on three Celebrity cruises. The most formal was a 10-day Caribbean trip on the Summit over Thanksgiving 2003. The second-most formal was a 14-day Baltics cruise on the Constellation during July/August 2004, and the least formal was an 8-day on the Horizon last October. Seems to be sort of a mixed pattern here, too.

Allen

We've been on 23 Celebrity cruises to almost everywhere they sail. As far as I can see the itinerary has nothing to do with it. People do seem to dress a little more formally on longer cruises.

I have to agree with MaBell. I have been on 10 cruise and have not noticed much of a difference based on itinerary or length

We've been on three Celebrity cruises. The most formal was a 10-day Caribbean trip on the Summit over Thanksgiving 2003. The second-most formal was a 14-day Baltics cruise on the Constellation during July/August 2004' date=' and the least formal was an 8-day on the Horizon last October. Seems to be sort of a mixed pattern here, too.

Allen[/quote']

Allen: I know this is off topic, but I noticed in a previous thread that you were on the troopships Collins and Mann in the 60s. I took one (the Mann, I believe) from San Francisco to Inchon in '53 and the Collins from Pusan to Seattle in '54. What ever happened to these ships?

Allen: I know this is off topic, but I noticed in a previous thread that you were on the troopships Collins and Mann in the 60s. I took one (the Mann, I believe) from San Francisco to Inchon in '53 and the Collins from Pusan to Seattle in '54. What ever happened to these ships?

Hi Cirpi. I just did a search on the USS Mann, and it said it was commisioned in 1943, and decommissioned in 1965. Its ultimate fate was to be sold for salvage to Taiwan in 1987. It was 20,000 tons, which is less than half the size of ships like Celebrity's Horizon and Zenith (47,000 tons). It's amazing that on such a small ship they could cram 1700 troops, plus staff and officers.

Allen

Hi Cirpi. I just did a search on the USS Mann' date=' and it said it was commisioned in 1943, and decommissioned in 1965. Its ultimate fate was to be sold for salvage to Taiwan in 1987. It was 20,000 tons, which is less than half the size of ships like Celebrity's Horizon and Zenith (47,000 tons). It's amazing that on such a small ship they could cram 1700 troops, plus staff and officers.

Allen[/quote']

Well, my ``stateroom'' was about the size of the Royal Suite on the Millennium. Unfortunately, I had to share it with about 60 others. Correction: The return sailing was in 1955, not '54.

Well, my ``stateroom'' was about the size of the Royal Suite on the Millennium. Unfortunately, I had to share it with about 60 others. Correction: The return sailing was in 1955, not '54.

We were crammed in like sardines. The bunks were stacked three high, with one on each side of a post. You were so close to the guy next to you that you could wake up in the middle of the night with his feet in your face. There were hundreds and hundreds of us in the same "room".

We were so close that if one person had body lice, EVERYONE had body lice. You can have them for quite a while, though, before you realize it. After I got home, I was sleeping on the couch a lot at my parents' house. A couple of days after I got home, my mom hosted a bridge club meeting. It was pretty embarrassing for her when all of her guests came down with the "crabs". :eek:

Allen

Archived