Formal night attire for teen boy?

moongal

The website does not match the Funtimes on the ships. On the ships Jeans are allowed on Elegant night. Check any Funtimes from 2016 and you will see there is NO prohibition on jeans on Elegant night. You don't have to negotiate anything

The website is out of date.

Or the Funtimes is incorrect [emoji3]....website shows all the ships and up to the minute booking features and pricing....highly doubtful the Carnival website is out of date

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Or the Funtimes is incorrect [emoji3]

Whichever way you call it, they don't match and I can post funtimes from multiple ships in 2016 where Jeans are not on the prohibited list in 2016.

Just trying to give them accurate information.

Whichever way you call it, they don't match and I can post funtimes from multiple ships in 2016 where Jeans are not on the prohibited list in 2016.

As of July 4 2016, the website states no jeans or shorts allowed in the MDR on Elegant Nights

Edited by First and Ten

Or the Funtimes is incorrect [emoji3]....website shows all the ships and up to the minute booking features and pricing....highly doubtful the Carnival website is out of date

Here's a link from a January 2016 Fun times, and it clearly says Jeans are not allowed on cruise elegant night. http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/purduealumamber/media/sail%20fun%20times%204%203_zpsen3ryjzf.jpg.html

Edited by Rh2458

As of July 4 2016, the website states no jeans or shorts allowed in the MDR on Elegant Nights

And I am telling you from first hand experience, and from reading other funtimes posted here in 2016, that on the ship it does NOT prohibit Jeans on elegant night. As I said, they do not match. Just trying to give the OP accurate info.

And I am telling you from first hand experience, and from reading other funtimes posted here in 2016, that on the ship it does NOT prohibit Jeans on elegant night. As I said, they do not match. Just trying to give the OP accurate info.

I would disagree with you. On the cruise I was recently on, I saw a gentleman get turned away and asked to change because he was wearing jeans on Elegant Night....not saying it's impossible to get in if not caught, but based on Carnivals rules, it is not allowed

Edited by First and Ten

Post 12 here, Sea Day. Elegant Night. Jeans allowed

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2372019&highlight=funtimes

Cruise Elegant Night, Ecstasy, Jeans allowed

http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/VolzCruiser/media/Ecstasy%20Funtimes/ecstasy%20day%202_Page_2_zps5y1mbfos.jpg.html

Edited by LMaxwell

Accurate information is what is obtained from the website. Now, if a specific ship chooses to make some changes for that cruise, you can NOT count on that, not do I think anyone should. A pair of khaki pants, or a pair of dress pants and a dress shirt isn't going to kill anyone for a few hours.

I would disagree with you. On the cruise I was recently on, I saw a gentleman get turned away and asked to change because he was wearing jeans on Elegant Night....not saying it's impossible to get in if not caught, but based on Carnivals rules, it is not allowed

This doesn't say not allowed.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxlIWx4efYwTQ0s4azA5NWNSWms&usp=drive_web

Some people take enjoyment being contrarians and trying to buck the trend....per the website:

Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire.

Lido Restaurant

For those who want casual attire for dinner, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. Daytime Attire may be worn.

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings

The length of the cruise determines the number of 'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening prior to the end of the cruise, schedules permitting.

2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening

6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL?

Edited by First and Ten

This is a serious question, I in no way mean disrespect, but as a parent I want to understand....I am assuming your youngest is under 18 yrs old....I am not getting this "negotiating thingy". Just to clarify, do you mean to tell me if you tell him no jeans, put on pants, the first words out of his mouth isn't "yes mom"?

Yes, he is under 18. And while his response is always "yes mom" when I tell him to do something, we are on vacation. Which means I'm willing to negotiate in order for my children to feel comfortable even during elegant night. Not everyone feels comfortable wearing khakis or dress slacks, just like all women do not feel comfortable wearing dresses. He is still dressed nicely and while the pants he wears are jeans, it is still dressier than what I've seen others wear on elegant night. Polo shirts aren't elegant and yet many are fine with that. My children wear shirt & ties. Because my son wears BLACK jeans, you can hardly tell in the dim lighting. I know many of you object to this and it doesn't really matter. My son is dressed nicely and is happy. If the maitre 'd has an issue, then he will tell us to leave and I'll gladly take my kids elsewhere to eat. Until then, my son will continue to wear black jeans until he decides he wants to wear dress pants or khakis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Accurate information is what is obtained from the website. Now, if a specific ship chooses to make some changes for that cruise, you can NOT count on that, not do I think anyone should. A pair of khaki pants, or a pair of dress pants and a dress shirt isn't going to kill anyone for a few hours.

The website is filled with inaccuracies and inconsistencies. That is why people come to CC to ask for real world experiences. Just because my experience differed from yours does not make me wrong, or you wrong, it just means that OP has to decide if they are going to accept these varied experiences as actionable. I didn't say anything one way or the other about how their kid dresses, I don't really care. I just think they should have the most real world info to go off of.

my son will continue to wear black jeans until he decides he wants to wear dress pants or khakis.

I guarantee you will be fine, and furthermore I am willing to bet that the funtimes onboard your ship will not prohibit jeans either and is inconsistent with the website.

Not necessarily speaking to OP but not sure why it's difficult to wear nicer clothes and not jeans. Most work places and schools have dress codes that need to be followed as well. Following rules is a good habit to have...not trying to find ways around them. But such is society today :(

Going on 2nd cruise soon and taking my 17 yo son this time. Are jeans not allowed on the MDR on elegant night? He doesn't own khakis, and wears jeans every where.

He has the one nice suit for special occasions but I REEEALLY don't want to lug all that along just for 1 meal. (And no, we don't want to eat at Lido)

Would jeans with nice button down shirt and tie be ok? He also doesn't own any polo or golf type shirts. Those are "old man" shirts according to his group.

Didn't worry about elegant night with daughter as she was super excited to go all out like she was going to the queens ball, but 17 yo son a different story.

Any suggestions for teen boys elegant attire? Will he be turned away if in jeans? Btw, he is 6'0" 225 lbs and looks way older than he is, so he will definitely be considered adult looking....I'm guessing younger kids might have a little more leeway with their attire.

Thanks

How about getting a pair of pants. GEEZ

Not necessarily speaking to OP but not sure why it's difficult to wear nicer clothes and not jeans. Most work places and schools have dress codes that need to be followed as well. Following rules is a good habit to have...not trying to find ways around them. But such is society today :(

The Corporation I work for has 55K employees. This past spring they moved to adopting jeans in to the dress code. I only take advantage on "dress down" day, still electing to dress above the minimum. 3 weeks ago I spent a week at corporate HQ and I was definitely in the minority wearing khakis and having a sport coat with me. Not that looking nice will be bad for my career, but it sure is a sign of the times.

The website is filled with inaccuracies and inconsistencies. That is why people come to CC to ask for real world experiences. Just because my experience differed from yours does not make me wrong, or you wrong, it just means that OP has to decide if they are going to accept these varied experiences as actionable. I didn't say anything one way or the other about how their kid dresses, I don't really care. I just think they should have the most real world info to go off of.

I have had a number of "real world" experiences since Carnival banned smoking on balconies, that many people still smoke there. Should I tell posters "Yeah, no problem, you can smoke on balconies"....See how your logic is flawed? Just because some do it, doesn't make it within the rules or guidelines

Edited by First and Ten

I have had a number of "real world" experiences since Carnival banned smoking on balconies, that many people still smoke there. Should I tell posters "Yeah, no problem, you can smoke on balconies"....See how your logic is flawed? Just because some do it, doesn't make it within the rules or guidelines

No, because the website and published materials on the ship regarding smoking match; it is banned on balconies. There is no discrepancy.

ON ships Jeans are allowed on elegant night. It is published. It is a discrepancy from the website. Two different policies. No one is "getting away" with anything. It's within the rules and guidelines.

No, because the website and published materials on the ship regarding smoking match; it is banned on balconies. There is no discrepancy.

ON ships Jeans are allowed on elegant night. It is published. It is a discrepancy from the website. Two different policies. No one is "getting away" with anything. It's within the rules and guidelines.

No where in the Fun times does it specifically say it's banned on the balconies (you seem to quote the Funtimes as the bible for Carnival cruisers)

Edited by First and Ten

No where in the Fun times does it specifically say it's banned on the balconies (you seem to quote the Funtimes as the bible for Carnival cruisers)

It says it right on the balcony door.

And they say it during muster drill.

Just checked, the Funtimes says what are the only allowed smoking areas. Balconies not on there. What a surprise...

Edited by LMaxwell

It says it right on the balcony door.

And they say it during muster drill.

So you would admit that the Funtimes is "inconsistent" with the balcony door and master drill info [emoji848]....as far as the drinking policy, says in Funtimes that u must be 21 to be served. i guess as long as you don't have a carnival bartender serve you, a 15 yr old can get liquored end up in his cabin from the parents BV bottle....you realizing yet that the Funtimes may not be the best source of dos and donts? [emoji106]

Edited by First and Ten

So you would admit that the Funtimes is "inconsistent" with the balcony door and master drill info [emoji848]

No, I just checked the Funtimes. It lists the smoking areas. Balcony not amongst those.

Perhaps a selling point for him wearing khakis would be to remind him that graduation is coming up, and job interviews, and adult life in general. A nice pair of pants creates a good impression. Jeans are great for a lot of things, but a well-dressed man in khakis or dress pants, with a button-down shirt and a tie, as you mentioned....he'll go far!

My son is also a big fan of jeans, or shorts, but he does have a couple of pairs of dress pants or khakis, and I have to say, when he wears them....well, it makes my mama's heart proud!