cruise during Presidents day break

Hello community,

I've recently booked a carribean cruise with royal carribean (adventure of the seas). It's a back to back cruise in February 2017 (february 18 to 25 and febuary 25 to march 4). The cruise will start in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Now i have read that during the first week there's the presidents day break. I have never heard of this before (I'm from Europe).

Will this affect the cruise? I have read some reviews that during some holidays cruises are "full" with kids (please don't get me wrong I habe nothing against kids I'm just worried it might be too many) Or is this more an issue on cruises that start from Miami, New York..? Do puerto rican schools also close this week?

Thank you in advance :) ( sorry, english is not my mother Tongue but I think here are the experts that might answer my question)

We have cruised out of San Juan during the February break and I did not notice any more crowding than I have on my previous cruises out of this port. We've sailed out of San Juan five times and none of the cruises have seemed overrun with kids. :)

I also don't think that a lot of school districts have the entire week off for Presidents' Day. My school district does, but I think most only give a couple of days off of school.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! :)

We have cruised out of San Juan during the February break and I did not notice any more crowding than I have on my previous cruises out of this port. We've sailed out of San Juan five times and none of the cruises have seemed overrun with kids. :)

I also don't think that a lot of school districts have the entire week off for Presidents' Day. My school district does, but I think most only give a couple of days off of school.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! :)

Very popular winter break in the NorthEast

I had never heard of it either. This past February I was on Allure. The

first week there were about 20 kids. On the second week there were

almost 600. The second week turned out to be Presidents week.

Just my experience.

We are sailing out of San Juan 2/19/17 on the Jewel. We chose that cruise because my 10 year old son is off from school here in Long Island that week for President's week. I've never cruised that week before but would expect the ship to be more crowded and have more kids on board. I guess "overrun with kids" is in the eye of the beholder.

Hello community,

I've recently booked a carribean cruise with royal carribean (adventure of the seas). It's a back to back cruise in February 2017 (february 18 to 25 and febuary 25 to march 4). The cruise will start in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Now i have read that during the first week there's the presidents day break. I have never heard of this before (I'm from Europe).

Will this affect the cruise? I have read some reviews that during some holidays cruises are "full" with kids (please don't get me wrong I habe nothing against kids I'm just worried it might be too many) Or is this more an issue on cruises that start from Miami, New York..? Do puerto rican schools also close this week?

Thank you in advance :) ( sorry, english is not my mother Tongue but I think here are the experts that might answer my question)

Schools in cold northern climate of the US often have off the entire week in February that President's Day fall out in. It won't matter if the sailing is from NY/NY or Miami or FLL or San Juan, Puerto Rico....you will have more kids on board. It has nothing to do with the local schools, it has everything to do with those schools districts that close down for the week during the winter. Parents will fly to a warm destination to go on a cruise they want to go on.

Will it be impossible to enjoy the cruise....no. There will just be more kids. Last Thanksgiving we sailed on Navigator and had 1000 kids on board....it hardly impacted what we did....it was crowded in the MDR, and the wait staff did have their hands full.....but all was fine.....our table was not necessarily adversely affected, since we did not have kids at it.

We have cruised quite a few times during President's Week....as well as Thanksgiving Week....Thanksgiving Week has had many more kids on board....but either way, it won't negatively impact your cruise....it never has for us.

Edited by Paulette3028

I cruised the Adventure during Presidents week this year. We took my daughter who is 8. There were really not that many kids on our cruise. I thought that there would be a lot more. When my daughter went to the kids club, there were usually only 10-12 kids there at a time. I wouldnt worry. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sailing out of San Juan would not be the first choice, or easiest port to sail out of for northeast U.S. students that apparently get the week off. Can't imagine your sailing would be impacted like a spring break Oasis cruise. I'd expect a few more kids, but nothing extreme.

And your post was just fine. Would not have known you were not a native English speaker if you had not said so.

Thanks for all your answers :)

The second week of your cruise should be "okay" again??(Beginning February 25) or are there also any holidays? (Carnival / mardi gras?)

@Doug S: Yes I hope that cruising from San Juan might help a bit but I'm not sure whether puerto ricans also have a week off. (I've read about a cruse during November which was horrible due to 1000 purrto rican kids)

We thought about changing the cruise to February 4 but it seems that we have to cancel and book again. That means a fee of 25 % of the whole price (which is quite high due to the long flight)