Rental Car in Crete vs. Taxi

USAFBEDLEY

My husband and I have purchased tickets to watercity water park in Crete at the end of this month. A lot of people have told me to see "something else" and you can "always go to a water park". However, we live in Alaska...and a water park is "our" idea of something "different."

We already purchased the tickets. I priced out a few taxi companies on the island and they were asking 30 euros each way, so 60 total. I can rent my own car for 66 euros and have the option to explore other areas, find a relaxing beach, etc.

However, is driving in crete a horrible idea? I have not seen a lot of people stating they rented cars, and I am hesitant as to why? Am I missing something? I am looking at renting from Royal Rentals whom would hand deliver the car directly at the port.

We spent 10 days in Crete in summer 2014 and had a car for the full duration. It is a large island, so it wasn't possible to visit everything. However, the inland area is beautiful and easy to drive as there isn't too much traffic.

I agree that a water park is not a good use of the time in Crete when there is so much to see.

We can understand an Alaskan wanting to go to a water park. But it does seem like a long way to go for a mere water park. But since you are doing your own thing, this gives you the ability to explore lots of different options (before you leave home) and develop a list of many things you might want to see and do. When you arrive at the port, you can then make the decisions that seem right...at the time. As to rental car vs taxi, our personal preference (often expressed on CC in many European forums) is to get a rental car...which gives you the maximum flexibility at the lowest price. But keep in mind that most European rental cars are small and usually have a manual shift. If you cannot handle a manual....then you will either pay a premium for an automatic...or not even be able to get a rental car.

Hank

When we hired the car in Crete we had an automatic as there was very little price difference between automatic and manual. We hired it through a company called The Best. We picked it up in Heraklion airport, but I am sure they deliver to the port too.

• 2 weeks later...