Drink and Specialty Dining Packages

Entirely new to NCL here. We were offered the drink package (as part of a group booking) and plan on purchasing a 7-night specialty dining package. How do these work? Are they tied to your room card, or do they require additional cards? Also, is gratuity included with the packages? Anything else I should know about them? I'm a bit frustrated that bottled water is NOT included with the beverage package, which is bewildering, but it is what it is.

They are tied to your room card.

You didn't mention what ship you are sailing, but you might consider at least eating ONE dinner in an included restaurant. There are several on most ships that are pretty good (for example, lots of people like the all-you-can-eat prime rib in O'Sheehan's). Or if on the Escape, Food Republic is the best restaurant on the ship, and it's not included in the dining plan. Just a thought...

Sorry, we will be on the Getaway. Good advice, maybe we will consider just getting a 5 or 6-night meal package. I do like the idea of the Tropicana MDR with the music and dancing. Any advice as to which night to dine in the MDR?

Sorry, we will be on the Getaway. Good advice, maybe we will consider just getting a 5 or 6-night meal package. I do like the idea of the Tropicana MDR with the music and dancing. Any advice as to which night to dine in the MDR?

No advice. The menus rotate, so it's hard to say. I've always enjoyed all the food in the MDR. On Getaway, I ate in all the specialty restaurants, and yet the Tropicana MDR was my favorite restaurant on the ship! I liked it better than all the specialties because of the overall ambiance, live music, dancing, and I found the service better. We are to the point where we barely visit the specialties at all anymore.

I thought the current promo gives you beverage and dining package for free. I'll be going on the Getaway for 7 nights and am receiving a 4 day dining package. I'm excited to try all the food, including the "free" stuff.

Entirely new to NCL here. We were offered the drink package (as part of a group booking) and plan on purchasing a 7-night specialty dining package. How do these work? Are they tied to your room card, or do they require additional cards? Also, is gratuity included with the packages? Anything else I should know about them? I'm a bit frustrated that bottled water is NOT included with the beverage package, which is bewildering, but it is what it is.

The SDP (Dining plan) is tied to your room card and you can make reservations online 90 days prior if you want to ensure certain dining venues and times. Tropicana has the Burn the Floor Dancers perform-usually the 2nd and 4th night. I usually make a res. time for 5:45 and request a table near the dance floor to see their mini show. :) Although bottled water is not included you can get large plastic cups of ice water from any bar and bring it back to your room. The water is filtered and tastes just fine! :) They will even add fruit slices to it if you wish! :)

I thought the current promo gives you beverage and dining package for free. I'll be going on the Getaway for 7 nights and am receiving a 4 day dining package. I'm excited to try all the food, including the "free" stuff.

The 18% gratuity and service charge on the "value" of the free dining and/or beverage package was charged to your cruise. Look at your confirmation and you'll be able to see the charge. Gratuity charges for the UBP on our 29 day cruise is $826 total for two, so "free", no.

Edited by punkincc

My sister and I were on the Getaway with our parents in January. We ate at La Cucina, but stuck to Taste and Savor for all of our other meals, and never once did we feel deprived. The MDR entrees are fantastic!

As for bottled water, the ship's water is filtered and tastes just fine. My sister and I pack a water bottle (empty) and fill it out of the bathroom sink or at the Garden Cafe. Pay NCL for water? Nope. I don't pay for free resources, but nice try.

We are booking as a group, so the promo does not apply. The group promo is a little better, I suppose, as it includes the beverage package without the service charge.