Observations re dress code compliance - Summit 10/17-10/23

PatHobby

...if you happened to show up in the dining room wearing a speedo, a feathered boa and a bow tie on formal night it would not affect my meal in the slighest. I would also applaud your individualism.

Hmmm.... I don't know... one site of me in a speedo just might affect your meal. :D

Okay, so after reading through these 4 pages of threads I am to think...

Dh wears a tuxedo on formal night that is good

Dh does not wear a jacket, BUT does wear dress pants (NOT Dockers) & dress shirt (NOT polo) informal night that is bad

Dh does not wear shorts or jeans on casual night, but does wear Dockers and a polo shirt, that is good?

Might be easier to just leave him home :D

Why of course I know the difference between lunch and dinner, one is eaten at midday the other eaten after 6. The difference in how one is dressed has absolutely no effect on my appreciation of the taste of the food being consumed. As to the "atmosphere" of the dining room being different, that I will agree, when people are dressed comfortably, instead of suited and booted, is much more pleasant and quite a bit less pretentious. People are much more willing to be themselves which I find entirely more fascinating than if they are pretending to be something that they are not.

Cheers,

Peter

Interesting that you believe that those of us who enjoy dressing up are not being ourselves nor are we comfortable. Speaking for myself, I am most comfortable when well dressed and totally myself. Having to be dressed in something uncomfortable like dockers or khakis and a sporty top: now that would make me very uncomfortable, indeed.

WHat is pretentious are your assertions.

I personally don't see any difference between following a dress code on a ship and complying with a dress code at a restaurant. There are many times I went to Manhattan for the day to shop wearing jeans, and wouldn't dream of going to one of my favorite restaurants for dinner because I was not appropriately dressed. Instead I would go to a place where it was acceptable to wear jeans even though I would prefer to dine elsewhere. On the other hand, there are days I went shopping in "dressy" clothes so I could go to a nicer restaurant for dinner.

I personally don't see any difference between following a dress code on a ship and complying with a dress code at a restaurant. There are many times I went to Manhattan for the day to shop wearing jeans, and wouldn't dream of going to one of my favorite restaurants for dinner because I was not appropriately dressed. Instead I would go to a place where it was acceptable to wear jeans even though I would prefer to dine elsewhere. On the other hand, there are days I went shopping in "dressy" clothes so I could go to a nicer restaurant for dinner.

The only problem with that is that there is no other restaurant to go to, excluding eating in cabin or at the buffet.

Cheers,

Peter

There's 2 other choices besides the dining room then.

I specifically excluded them as my response was in regards to choosing a different restaurant. Eating in your cabin or a buffet is not the same thing.

Cheers,

Peter

I specifically excluded them as my response was in regards to choosing a different restaurant. Eating in your cabin or a buffet is not the same thing.

No, it's not. And dining in the formal dining room is a privilege, not a right. The obvious answer, except to the "me, me, me" people, is to stop whining and pony up the price of that admission: i.e. honor the required dress code. :rolleyes: If you're so in love with yourself that you are constitutionally unable to do that, then eat in your room or in the buffet or in the sushi bar or, even better yet, cruise on one of the free-style ships, such as NCL and Windjammer.

You've belabored your lame point over and over and over again, and you're not going to convince the people who are considerate, thoughtful, and have at least a modicum of class. The only people who will agree with you are those who are part of that two-per cent minority who refuse to honor the ships' requirements and rules. These people are also invariably line-breakers, chair hogs, and row-hogs in the theater.

These "me, me, me" people are downright scary with their megalomaniacal trumpeting of how they're going to do whatever they want to, regardless of anyone else's rights, because they're just so much more special than the rest of us.

Ack. I had kept quiet for the last two weeks or so, but this Peter person is a real piece of work. I also love the way that he thinks that being a barely-out-of-his-20s attorney is some kind of proof of intellectual and social superiority. Some of the biggest sleazeballs in the world are attorneys. My oldest son is a partner in his law firm and he is constantly amazed at some of the scum he sees practicing law. Someone on this thread assumed that Peter must be a courtroom lawyer, but he could just as easily be an ambulance chaser. But then, again, many courtroom lawyers are sleazes also.... as are many corporate lawyers, divorce lawyers, etc.

Allen

You've belabored your lame point over and over and over again' date=' and you're not going to convince the people who are considerate, thoughtful, and have at least a modicum of class.

This post just oozes class.

The only people who will agree with you are those who are part of that two-per cent minority who refuse to honor the ships' requirements and rules. These people are also invariably line-breakers' date=' chair hogs, and row-hogs in the theater.

You must be the only person to have done a survey to determine that the people that don't follow the dress guidelines represent a disproportionate percentage to the line breakers, chair hogs, and row hogs. You should publish your findings.

Ack. I had kept quiet for the last two weeks or so' date=' but this Peter person is a real piece of work. I also love the way that he thinks that being a barely-out-of-his-20s attorney is some kind of proof of intellectual and social superiority. Some of the biggest sleazeballs in the world are attorneys. My oldest son is a partner in his law firm and he is constantly amazed at some of the scum he sees practicing law. Someone on this thread assumed that Peter must be a courtroom lawyer, but he could just as easily be an ambulance chaser. But then, again, many courtroom lawyers are sleazes also.... as are many corporate lawyers, divorce lawyers, etc.

Wow. It must take a real scum/sleazeball to become a partner in his law firm.

We took a poll on these boards last year and more than 96% of the responses on this very CC Celebrity Board said that they would prefer to support the time honored traditions of formal dress.

That being said...I have just returned from 2 PRINCESS cruises and I was very delighted to see how many pax really enjoyed dressing up for a formal occasion. There were so many pax lining up for formal portraits that the photograghers did not have an opportunity to get to the dining room to shoot table photos.

I have to say that being away from the CELEBRITY CC boards for a bit is refreshing...reading the above comments just brings me back to the reality of how bitter some of these threads can be. Mark Twain once said something about his distaste for verbal abuse...something to the effect that, "He did not want to argue with someone in the gutter because he would have had to get into the gutter with him".

I did not really want to get involved in this but having read some of the postings I feel I must have my say.

One of the reasons we cruise is to be pampered, meet nice like minded people, relax and see some interesting places and take in some sunshine.

We feel that we are lucky to be able to do this given all the bad things that happen in this world.

Before I finish I would pose this question, if the travellers who dislike and ridicule the tradition of dressing for dinner were waited on by staff, who wore whatever they liked and treated them with disdain and indifference because they (the Staff) felt that it didn't matter;

Who thought so what I am still doing my job what does it matter what I wear.

Would these same passengers say hey its ok?

I would think not,

and here lies my opinion for what it is worth, we expect to be served nicely by polite well groomed personel, well hey shouldn't we make the effort.

I must say that I don't find it an effort I think that it is part of the Cruise experience. When we book a celebrity cruise we know what we are getting, and also what to expect.

Tradition is a fabulous thing untill it is taken away from you.

Anyway I have waffled on for too long everyone enjoy your next cruise.:cool:

Mark Twain once said something about his distaste for verbal abuse...something to the effect that, "He did not want to argue with someone in the gutter because he would have had to get into the gutter with him".

Along a similar vein--"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it"

I've really enjoyed reading this post! It has made for an entertaining time! The topic caught my eye (as it was posted with the most recent message and stood out on the boards). I've never sailed Celebrity before, but I will have to give it a try. We are unfortunately sailing Carnival next (5 times past Princess and once NCL). It would not be my choice if it were just my husband and myself, but it's a first time cruise for my Brother, SIL and their 3 children (age 6-14), and we are also taking my two step children and their SO's, 23-25. Personally - I think for our group Carnival made perfect sense. It was decided by most of the men in our group to forgo the usual tux on formal night and I thought my husband would be happy. Quite to my surprise, he was sorry he wouldn't get to wear the tux.

In reading this thread, I get a sense that most of you are saying there is a cruise line for everyone out there. Most of them are going to the same places, why would you choose a cruise line that has a reputation as being formal and then not get dressed appropriately on the formal nights? If you want to wear Dockers and polo shirts, cruise the less formal lines. If you want to bring your kids and teens and they are not interested in dressing up the formal nights (I am not implying that all teens would not be interested - personally I know my 6 year old niece is dying to dress up and her behavior would be wonderful. My nephews on the other hand would probably be happy to hang at the teen club all evening!) But if you are bringing children or teens you need to focus on a cruise line that has entertainment for them unless they are happy to sit politely and converse with adults.

Personally I think someone - and sorry for not quoting it here - hit the nail on the head when she said that when she travels with her kids they enjoy RCL Voyager class, but if it is just her and her husband, then Celebrity fits the ticket.

There is a cruise ship for almost everyone and their tastes. I think someone blamed the TA's for not setting appropriate expectations. Unfortunately, many people are now booking through the web and don't even have the opportunity to get that advice.

I don't like to make blanket statements, but I wonder if what you refer to as the "Dumbing of America" isn't more an issue of the loss of manners. As several of you have pointed out, you work or have children of the younger generation that are quite brilliant.

I am sure Peter is quite intelligent and I won't accuse him of being dumb. But his "me, me, me" attitude is what scares me. How is it that we can have a group in society that doesn't understand that it isn't always about me, even on vacation? Peter - do you run over little ol' ladies on your way the front of the line or to hog the deck chairs? I can see you now on the Titanic throwing woman and children out of the lifeboat! That type of attitude doesn't belong on any cruise ship.

Enjoy yourselves and have respect for your fellow travellers and CC board members! It was, as I said, an enjoyable read!

(Caveat: Rant coming on. A stream-of-consciousness diatribe spurred on by the never-ending clothing wars. If it matters to anyone, I don't think it'll change any minds, but it made me feel better to get it off my chest- Happy cruising everyone, and remember what is so often posted on these boards: the debates that rage on here are hopefully a small part, or no part at all, of your cruise experience! :) )

Ahh, this great democracy that we live in, where supposedly everyone is equal, but nobody truly believes it- it's not true, mostly because everyone's insecure about where they fit in to the picture, and is clawing to feel better than others. This country, where manners are seen as something only for the upper class, but then the upper class is defined solely by educational level and income level, and those two things are no guarantee of manners. Some of the "classiest" (I HATE that word) people I know have what are considered humble lives by most.

"Me, me, me" is the shout, but I read that not as a true belief on the part of the declarer, but as a cry that "I'm just as good as you are!", based on some insecurity about their social standing. Well, no one said you weren't, especially if you respect the requests of others, including your hosts or the people with whom you choose to do business.

"It's my vacation, so I'll do whatever I want" are nine of the most immature words strung together in the history of the language. If you were six, you'd be called a spoiled brat. Why is it any different when you become an adult. In kindergarten, you're expected to have better behavior than that. Why not now? We are becoming a culture that is solely about acquisition of status symbols, be they homes, cars, children, or vacations. We have also become a country of impatient, scared, small minded, classless boors, who think "instant gratification" takes too long. In our demand to be treated the same, we seem to all feel that we should be the exception to rules. Our arrogance about our own self importance (and the underlying insecurity that feeds it) knows no bounds. We drive enormous wasteful SUV's to feel protected, and shut ourselves off from the world in huge McMansions so we don't have to interact with other people. And our lives' list of accomplishments would say very little about our value as a person, and would say not-so-nice things about our values as humans.

A cruise is not simply a vacation to brag about around the office water cooler, it's a social interaction, just like going to a party, or conducting business in a professional manner when at work. It comes with privileges AND responsibilities. Guests, whether paying or not, have rights, but they also have obligations. It's about interacting civilly, about accepting that there are rules and requests that apply to us, and that we need to start valuing some of the culture that we claim is 'old fashioned' before it's acceptable to stop interacting with people altogether.

My word. What a sad state of affairs.

Andrew

(And, no, it wasn't anyone's insisting that shorts are more comfortable, or that tuxes are the province of snobs that set this off. It was the 'tone' used in the arguments, and there was some of that on both sides of this issue. I promise you that I judge people on the whole picture whenever possible- I try, honestly:o . But it's also true that appearance IS part of the "whole picture.")

Archived