Paris Hotel Post-Cruise

bama4cruisin

We're sailing on the AmaDante's Europe's Rivers and Castles June 15, 2017.

I realize Paris is not a true port of call; however, I know some will travel to Paris pre or post a Western Med or even British Isles cruise so thought I would ask the question.

Yesterday our TA notified us that for the 2017 cruises Ama is offering a choice of 2 Paris hotels: Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe and Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero. Wondering if anyone has experience with either of these hotels? Based on the websites, both seem to be conveniently located near the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower with the Le Parc slightly closer to the Eiffel Tower.

Since both are Renaissance properties, they have similar amenities. The greatest difference seems to be the Le Parc Trocadero is an older boutique type hotel while the Arc de Triomphe is more modern.

Both have very good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Would appreciate any thoughts of experienced Paris travelers.

I have also posted this on the River Cruise Ports Board.

I guess either of those properties is OK, if that is the only choice. The areas (arrondisements) of both hotels are popular with many tourists. Personally, we would not stay in either of those areas and prefer St Germain des Pres (6th), Latin Quarter 5th) (both of these are on the Left Bank) or sometimes the Marais (Right Bank) area. But we are quick to acknowledge that most frequent travelers to Paris have their personal favorite Arrondisements. There is no right or wrong...but simply a preference as to what you want within walking distance of your hotel.

Hank

We're sailing on the AmaDante's Europe's Rivers and Castles June 15, 2017.

I realize Paris is not a true port of call; however, I know some will travel to Paris pre or post a Western Med or even British Isles cruise so thought I would ask the question.

Yesterday our TA notified us that for the 2017 cruises Ama is offering a choice of 2 Paris hotels: Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe and Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero. Wondering if anyone has experience with either of these hotels? Based on the websites, both seem to be conveniently located near the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower with the Le Parc slightly closer to the Eiffel Tower.

Since both are Renaissance properties, they have similar amenities. The greatest difference seems to be the Le Parc Trocadero is an older boutique type hotel while the Arc de Triomphe is more modern.

Both have very good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Would appreciate any thoughts of experienced Paris travelers.

I have also posted this on the River Cruise Ports Board.

Very many cruisers tack on pre or post cruise Paris visits of a night or few days so it is something we encounter here often - it's one of the most popular cities in the world! And technically yes, there's a river running through it too - also a popular way to see the city, a cruise on the Seine...I took one in the evening, so pretty at night.

As Hank mentioned, many of us have favorite areas of the city - the Latin Quarter indeed is one of mine but I also have a hotel in the 1st that I adore too. But then, it's Paris - it's easy to walk around or take the metro so if I were almost anywhere there, I'd be happy! ;)

That said - I'm inclined to agree also with Hank - I did once stay very close to the Eiffel Tower in the 7th, I could walk almost into the park Champ du Mars (which is opposite Trocadero, actually if you are viewing Eiffel Tower from Trocadero) and while that was nice, for me it was way too quiet and I would prefer not to be in the area again. Safe, nice - just quiet. I think Arc de Triomphe - I see where the hotel is - not too far from the Champs Elysées but again for me, this area is pretty at night - Place de la Concorde is down the other end, it's nice atmosphere but it's not so much where I would want to be based - bit out of the way.

There are better locations with the same quality and same price - there are SO many hotels in Paris. I don't know maybe you earn loyalty or rewards if you book with Renaissance properties? Tough call - looking at them both, seems Arc property has slightly higher rating but is more modern looking while the Trocadero has that very Parisian look and is closer to more metro stops, closer to the river and also, still rather close to the Arc de Triomphe and Champs d'Elysées too so it might be the better option of the two...the Rodin museum and Musée d'Orsay are both across the river in the 7th arrondissment.

Otherwise, maybe you might ask your TA to help you find a hotel in the Latin Quarter or Le Marais or Chatelet area as they would be more centrally located in Paris.

Hope this helps a bit! :)

Very many cruisers tack on pre or post cruise Paris visits of a night or few days so it is something we encounter here often - it's one of the most popular cities in the world! And technically yes, there's a river running through it too - also a popular way to see the city, a cruise on the Seine...I took one in the evening, so pretty at night.

As Hank mentioned, many of us have favorite areas of the city - the Latin Quarter indeed is one of mine but I also have a hotel in the 1st that I adore too. But then, it's Paris - it's easy to walk around or take the metro so if I were almost anywhere there, I'd be happy! ;)

That said - I'm inclined to agree also with Hank - I did once stay very close to the Eiffel Tower in the 7th, I could walk almost into the park Champ du Mars (which is opposite Trocadero, actually if you are viewing Eiffel Tower from Trocadero) and while that was nice, for me it was way too quiet and I would prefer not to be in the area again. Safe, nice - just quiet. I think Arc de Triomphe - I see where the hotel is - not too far from the Champs Elysées but again for me, this area is pretty at night - Place de la Concorde is down the other end, it's nice atmosphere but it's not so much where I would want to be based - bit out of the way.

There are better locations with the same quality and same price - there are SO many hotels in Paris. I don't know maybe you earn loyalty or rewards if you book with Renaissance properties? Tough call - looking at them both, seems Arc property has slightly higher rating but is more modern looking while the Trocadero has that very Parisian look and is closer to more metro stops, closer to the river and also, still rather close to the Arc de Triomphe and Champs d'Elysées too so it might be the better option of the two...the Rodin museum and Musée d'Orsay are both across the river in the 7th arrondissment.

Otherwise, maybe you might ask your TA to help you find a hotel in the Latin Quarter or Le Marais or Chatelet area as they would be more centrally located in Paris.

Hope this helps a bit! :)

Thank you for the suggestions. I realize Paris is a city of distinct neighborhoods. These would not necessarily be my first choices, but we are booked on AmaWaterways Europe's Rivers and Castles which starts with 2 nights in Prague, we board the AmaDante in Nuremberg, disembark in Luxembourg after 7 nights, are transported by the high-speed train to Paris for 3 nights that are a part of this cruise. These are the 2 hotels being offered by Ama as a part of the cruise. This cruise was once also marketed without the pre and post cruise nights; not marketed that way any longer. Since the post cruise stay also includes 2 tours and airport transfers, they obviously keep hotels in close proximity to each other. Just wondering if anyone had inside info about either of theses since they are our included options. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

You've probably made your choice by now.

I've been in the lobby of the Parc Trocadero to meet friends, who liked the hotel well enough. Neither is in an ideal location.

The Tripadvisor Paris forum has several threads on the topic - you can use the search box to find them. I don't think either has a distinct advantage over the other.

I would find out what room category you'd get in each hotel and compare the rooms.

You might consider asking AMA if they'll offer the cruise without the post cruise portion and book on your own.