Is there any Value left in an NCL Cruise?

WYTinman

I have booked a studio and have not gotten UBP included. I wish I could bring 1 16oz bottle of COKE. I take my migraine meds with it and PEPSI just doesn't work the same. Have no idea why.

If you're leaving from Miami, there are coke machines in the waiting area, after you're through security.

I have booked a studio and have not gotten UBP included. I wish I could bring 1 16oz bottle of COKE. I take my migraine meds with it and PEPSI just doesn't work the same. Have no idea why.
First of all, I wish to concur with CruisinHarvey regarding the Coke machines after security while you're in the waiting area. You can buy as many as you want and carry them on the ship. This is true for Miami, I do not know if this is true for any of the other embarkation ports that NCL uses.

If you're not beyond final payment yet, check and see what the price differential would be if you cancelled your current booking and re-booked it including the UBP. If you intend on doing much drinking, it could be worth your while.

Finally, thank you for your service. ;)

Edited by SNJCruisers

I have sailed with my family of 4 on NCL and RC. We are booked on the Dawn for Thanksgiving week with UBP & UDP. After adding the cost of the cabin with all the grats this is definitely not inexpensive. I do not like the no water policy as Idrink bottled water at home and like it esp for port days. I used to bring a 12 pack of drinks per kid but won't need with drink package. The thing I like least about NCL is the room set up for 4 to a room (suites too pricey for me) because the fourth bed is an extension of the king so three across and one bunk. Never paid for specialty meal so will see if it would be worth it on future cruises. Will definitely think about an all inclusive for my next vacation as cruising doesn't really offer me a cost advantage anymore.

Is there still any Value in a NCL Cruise?

Along with published cruise fares most people seem to look at what a cruise line offers to add value to the vacation over the other lines they can choose from.

A little background. I am a mid-50's military retiree. To fill some of my time I have a part-time job working for one of the Big Box HOME improvement store.

We sell the same products as our competition and many internet sites. Corporate has always made it a point to stress the quality and value of our products and services over the competition. To do that, you simply listen to the customer. They will tell you what adds value to them.

Definition of value from Merriam-Webster

1. a fair return or equivalent in goods, services, or money for something exchanged

2. the monetary worth of something : market price

3. relative worth, utility, or importance <a good value at the price>

4. a numerical quantity that is assigned or is determined by calculation or measurement

Is this concept lost on NCL? Or have they chosen to ignore their potential (and past) value over other cruise lines?

For example:

The water issue.

Some people prefer Coke to Pepsi (NCL's vendor) products; some are skittish of drinking ship water. Value to them, being able to bring these products aboard at no extra charge.

Room Service.

Some people like to have a snack delivered to their room. But for the $7.95 delivery fee, that service has lost all value to many.

Freestyle Dining.

"Freestyle" was an industry hit. Dine anywhere, anytime. That concept is now a distant memory. Granted NCL does not do traditional dining, they are moving away from true "Freestyle". To many having to plan ahead to make reservation for dinner is not "Freestyle". To them, Value lost.

Ala-Carte Dining.

Along with "Freestyle" came specialty dining. To some the flat fee added no value to their cruise. To others the availability of other options to the MDR did add value. With the advent of Ala-Carte pricing driving a Cagney’s meal from the $25.00 flat fee to well into the $40.00 to $50.00 a meal range has further diminished any value specialty dining had.

UDP(SDP) and UBP.

To some the idea of "all inclusive" is all the value needed to choose a cruise.

But after being charged their 18% fee on a free perk where did that value go? Yes it's still less expensive than paying full price for SDP or UBP. But as a value to the customer it is still an out of pocket expense. (My guess, the 18% on UBP more than covers the profit margin for both SDP and UBP).

Cruise Fares.

NCL has always been fairly priced along with their competition. With the exception of the upper tier of cabins, this remains true. But the increase in those Suite level and above fares has decreased the overall value of an NCL Suite over other cruise lines that offer Suites and Suite amenities.

These are just a few examples that I chose from recent topics posted here on cruise critic. There are no-doubt many more examples of lost value on NCL cruises.

Now, to some these will not be a big deal. To others it may determine whether or not they book with NCL or take their hard earned vacation dollars to another cruise line.

As I stated earlier, Quality and Value. I won't go on about the Quality of the NCL brand. But I believe that NCL is losing the vacation value they once had over the other lines.

Go ahead and flame me. But before you do, think about what it is that you value in your NCL cruise and how you would react if that value was lost.

Also I'm open to examples of any New NCL policies that have added value to their cruises. Currently, I just don't see any.

Mark

Well thought out and written

I am going to come in with a totally different perspective. I personally with my 2 NCL cruises did not care for the line at all and felt Freestyle cruising was for the birds. I also did not care for how impersonal the entire cruise felt both times but most especially the Hawaiian one that cost so much for an inside. The servers were rude, staff was unfriendly, the wait for dinner was crazy some nights with the que(45-60mins, NCL has been the only time I have ever had to wait to be seated for dinner and then they were slow so we missed being able to do much but eat those nights) and it was much less then I experienced from any other lines. I HAD PLANNED never to come back, because service is the reason I cruise.

HOWEVER, I have read what you all are putting out and want to give it another try, hence my upcoming Epic cruise. It seems that these things may have changed, and well the studio's drew me... So here are the responses of a cruiser without the best NCL experiences.

The water issue.

Some people prefer Coke to Pepsi (NCL's vendor) products; some are skittish of drinking ship water. Value to them, being able to bring these products aboard at no extra charge.

I bring a water filtration bottle on most of my cruises unless they have reasonably priced purified bottles water(spring water tastes like dirt to me), I just refill from my sink and go. If it gets warm I stop into the nearest bar and request a glass of ice or ice water heavy on the ice and dump it in. I used to bring water on board, but it is a hassle having to carry it around so opted for the filter bottles instead, saves room. I do this with every line as I am sure you know Carnival also no longer allows you to bring water aboard(however their water is cheaper, 2.99 for a 12pk), so I think the water issue at least is becoming a standard as soda will soon follow across all lines.

Room Service.

Some people like to have a snack delivered to their room. But for the $7.95 delivery fee, that service has lost all value to many.

This one does kinda suck, I do like to order snacks to my room. However with this change I think I will only order when it is free and then only when I have an early excursion since my preference is the MDR for all meals. If I am not feeling well of an evening I may go ahead anyway but it would be a very rare case. However this is not just NCL. I was on Carnival in Dec and they have a RS menu that has pay options as well, and wouldn't you know it that everytime I ordered the boy wanted items off the pay menu, so I ended up paying 5-10$ additional per delivery as well as tip. Pretty sure this is also starting with many lines.

Freestyle Dining.

"Freestyle" was an industry hit. Dine anywhere, anytime. That concept is now a distant memory. Granted NCL does not do traditional dining, they are moving away from true "Freestyle". To many having to plan ahead to make reservation for dinner is not "Freestyle". To them, Value lost.

Not a fan of Freestyle, not at all. I like having the same servers every night that get to know me and say hi by name as well as make suggestions based on what I have enjoyed on pervious nights. There seems to be more of a retorte built in there that I really enjoy. All of my worst dining experiences happened on NCL, there were a few good, but every bad dining experience I had was because of freestyle(waiters telling us we were odering in the wrong order and being rude about it, 45min wait to be seated, 60min wait to be seated, wrong food, missing items).... Personally I am glad they are starting the reservations, that makes it easier for me to come back and I certainly will pay attention in the DR for good service and request that server.

Ala-Carte Dining.

Along with "Freestyle" came specialty dining. To some the flat fee added no value to their cruise. To others the availability of other options to the MDR did add value. With the advent of Ala-Carte pricing driving a Cagney’s meal from the $25.00 flat fee to well into the $40.00 to $50.00 a meal range has further diminished any value specialty dining had.

Have never really upgraded. Usually the MDR is fine for me, however I have been eyeing the dining packages that seem very reasonable to me and might encourage me to book them since I know what I am getting and what I am paying ahead of time(which is why speciallty dining never really appealed before, I already can get good food in the dining room, why pay 30-40$ more just for different food, I could spend it on an excursion instead).

UDP(SDP) and UBP.

To some the idea of "all inclusive" is all the value needed to choose a cruise.

But after being charged their 18% fee on a free perk where did that value go? Yes it's still less expensive than paying full price for SDP or UBP. But as a value to the customer it is still an out of pocket expense. (My guess, the 18% on UBP more than covers the profit margin for both SDP and UBP).

This I am totally excited about! I almost purchased the drink package on Carnival for a 5day cruise and then they told me the total with tax and tip was 300$.... I Laughed, ordered a drink and walked away. I can't drink 300$ worth of booze on a 5day. However when I booked my studio it was a no brainer to pick the UDP at less then 100$, I will drink at least double that and it will save me 100$. For me that is a score. Unless you want to go with Celebrity(most of their cruises look boring without much to do) no one else offers free or highly discounted UDP. For me there is a huge value and I certainly will take my Mimosa's in the mornings and try many delicious drinks I might not have before.

Cruise Fares.

NCL has always been fairly priced along with their competition. With the exception of the upper tier of cabins, this remains true. But the increase in those Suite level and above fares has decreased the overall value of an NCL Suite over other cruise lines that offer Suites and Suite amenities.

I am a solo and the price for the studio was less then pretty much any other line for similar digs. The suppliment gets me, I don't like the idea of paying for someone who doesn't exist, is not going to take up a seat anywhere or eat a thing. IMHO the supplement at 1/2 price would be fine, but full is a blatant ripoff.

In close, now that my son, my cruise buddy is grown and can no longer "trip" as often as I like I needed an option for solo, NCL filled that need. I know RCCL is trying out some as well, will have to check them out. CCL I think may have some tiny bottom of the ship rooms as well that are geared fro solo's. I still like the idea of the solo meet up's and Studio Lounge which offers a huge value to solo cruisers and is not offered on any other line as of yet