Is there any Value left in an NCL Cruise?

WYTinman

Is there still any Value in a NCL Cruise?

Along with published cruise fares most people seem to look at what a cruise line offers to add value to the vacation over the other lines they can choose from.

A little background. I am a mid-50's military retiree. To fill some of my time I have a part-time job working for one of the Big Box HOME improvement store.

We sell the same products as our competition and many internet sites. Corporate has always made it a point to stress the quality and value of our products and services over the competition. To do that, you simply listen to the customer. They will tell you what adds value to them.

Definition of value from Merriam-Webster

1. a fair return or equivalent in goods, services, or money for something exchanged

2. the monetary worth of something : market price

3. relative worth, utility, or importance <a good value at the price>

4. a numerical quantity that is assigned or is determined by calculation or measurement

Is this concept lost on NCL? Or have they chosen to ignore their potential (and past) value over other cruise lines?

For example:

The water issue.

Some people prefer Coke to Pepsi (NCL's vendor) products; some are skittish of drinking ship water. Value to them, being able to bring these products aboard at no extra charge.

Room Service.

Some people like to have a snack delivered to their room. But for the $7.95 delivery fee, that service has lost all value to many.

Freestyle Dining.

"Freestyle" was an industry hit. Dine anywhere, anytime. That concept is now a distant memory. Granted NCL does not do traditional dining, they are moving away from true "Freestyle". To many having to plan ahead to make reservation for dinner is not "Freestyle". To them, Value lost.

Ala-Carte Dining.

Along with "Freestyle" came specialty dining. To some the flat fee added no value to their cruise. To others the availability of other options to the MDR did add value. With the advent of Ala-Carte pricing driving a Cagney’s meal from the $25.00 flat fee to well into the $40.00 to $50.00 a meal range has further diminished any value specialty dining had.

UDP(SDP) and UBP.

To some the idea of "all inclusive" is all the value needed to choose a cruise.

But after being charged their 18% fee on a free perk where did that value go? Yes it's still less expensive than paying full price for SDP or UBP. But as a value to the customer it is still an out of pocket expense. (My guess, the 18% on UBP more than covers the profit margin for both SDP and UBP).

Cruise Fares.

NCL has always been fairly priced along with their competition. With the exception of the upper tier of cabins, this remains true. But the increase in those Suite level and above fares has decreased the overall value of an NCL Suite over other cruise lines that offer Suites and Suite amenities.

These are just a few examples that I chose from recent topics posted here on cruise critic. There are no-doubt many more examples of lost value on NCL cruises.

Now, to some these will not be a big deal. To others it may determine whether or not they book with NCL or take their hard earned vacation dollars to another cruise line.

As I stated earlier, Quality and Value. I won't go on about the Quality of the NCL brand. But I believe that NCL is losing the vacation value they once had over the other lines.

Go ahead and flame me. But before you do, think about what it is that you value in your NCL cruise and how you would react if that value was lost.

Also I'm open to examples of any New NCL policies that have added value to their cruises. Currently, I just don't see any.

Mark

Go ahead and flame me.

I really don't understand why people always write this. It almost invites dispute.

Anyway, to respond to your question, it really does depend on the individual. People have different priorities and for many, value is being lost. For a smaller number of people there is little difference or some benefits.

It probably isn't exactly what you are asking, but to take your examples, I can show how there are different interpretations:

Water: I have only ever taken water onboard when we had some bottles left over after the land part of our holiday. This policy doesn't make one jot of difference to us.

Room Service: Never used it (on cruise or in a hotel). Again, does;t make any difference.

Freestyle Dining: This still works perfectly for me. I never saw freestyle as having anything to do with not needing to plan ahead (and have disagreed with people on this forum as to whether that was ever part of what Freestyle offered). I am happy to make some reservations beforehand with the ability to change them, and also have plenty of days where we just wing it. The requirement to book entertainment comes along with more options on the newer ships, which I think is a benefit. For me, the changes here offer more value.

A-La-Carte: We don't fit into the group of people who spend a lot more at the speciality restaurants now than we did when they had a fixed fee. In fact, when we last went, my bill came to about $30 and my wife was less than that. We had the UDP (which you can now buy for a limited number of nights if you don't get it free), so the a la carte pricing was irrelevant anyway. We are now eating at speciality restaurants more because of the various options. It has an added cost if we have to pay for them, but it's better value. Again, added value for us.

UDP & SDP: Being in the UK, we don't pay the 18% on any promos so we have a different situation anyway. Ignoring that, the 18% is a lot cheaper than the plan price (although under normal circumstances I wouldn't pay for the UBP anyway). The fact that drink prices have gone up is obviously a negative, but I am paying a massive amount less for my drinks than I was previously, so overall it is added value, even if I had to pay the 18%.

Cruise Fares: This is potentially reduced value as fares have certainly gone up. However, give n the promos there are many of us who are paying about the same, or even less for our cruises now.

Recently, I did some calculations based on the total cost of a cruise, including the fare, DSC, meals and drinks. I took the value of the beverage and dining packages received as being what I would expect to have paid for drinks or food per day had I not had the plan. The results were quite interesting. Taking the cost of our first recent cruise (the Epic in 2012) as the base, this is what I got:

Epic 2012 1.00

Breakaway 2013 (Solo) 1.36

Pearl 2013 (Owners Suite) 3.05

Spirit 2014 0.81

Epic 2014 0.97

Jade 2014 1.17

Getaway 2015 0.94

Spirit 2015 0.76

Escape 2015 (3 night) 1.13

Escape 2015 (Solo) 1.15

Epic 2016 0.96

Star 2016 1.09

Spirit 2017 0.43

Jade 2017 1.12

Epic 2017 0.62

Spirit 2018 0.53

As you can see, I haven't seen any increase in overall prices, and in fact direct comparisons on the Jade, Epic and Spirit show that we are saving a lot compared to previous years.

I know that this is because of specific reasons that don't apply to many, but there really is value there for many.

Edited by KeithJenner

There may not be value to some, but for others like me, there is definitely a value and that is why one can't use a blanket statement like NCL has lost their value. What should have been said is that NCL has lost their value to you.

Water issue - I drink the ships water and if I want a soda and don't have the UBP, I purchase it, even though I'm a Diet Coke drinker at home, I can live with Diet Pepsi for my cruise or drink water or iced tea.

Room service - In over 40 cruises, I've never used room service. If I want something to eat, I just go out and get it.

Freeystyle dining - I'm a planner, so I enjoy the fact that I can pre-reserve my dining times. It is still freeystyle, because I can eat where I want, when I want and with whom I want, which is what freestyle is all about.

A la carte dining - In many instances the cost is less than what the fixed price was. For instance, what I order in Cagney's (salad, small filet, baked potato) is now with a la carte pricing $26 with tip versus $30 without tip ($35), so I'm actually saving $9.

SDP & UBP - Since I've always tipped for drinks and specialty dining in the past, whether they are perks or not, the 18% gratuity added is really a moot point to me.

Cruise fares - My 9 day December cruise next year is less expensive per day than my 5 day December cruise this year. 5 day cruise: $1,133, 9 day cruise: $1,260

Just because you might feel a loss of value, doesn't mean everyone feels the same as you do. If you look at all my examples, I haven't lost a thing, I've actually gained value in some.

Very thoughtful post and good food-for-thought for those who are deciding between all of the cruise lines. For us, the value's still there for NCL. Also, we've cruised with NCL a lot and, in the process, have met great cruise buddies and organized trips with family, friends, and neighbors. Shear momentum will keep us and our extended "NCL family" going back because it's a known commodity and still a good solution that has value to us.

Also I'm open to examples of any New NCL policies that have added value to their cruises. Currently, I just don't see any.

Mark

Perhaps it is time for you to try a different line.

I am platinum with Carnival, Diamond Plus with Royal Caribbean, I've been on three cruises with Princess and have two more booked, and I have been on two NCL cruises with one more booked.

I booked NCL because NCL offers something no other cruise line offers - a forward facing balcony. Princess has some, but there is a note that the balcony will only be accessible when the ship is in port.

As to the rest:

1) The ship's tap water is fine for me.

2) I don't use room service.

3) I only make reservations the morning before and only when it is necessary.

4) What is the difference between a flat fee of $40 and a Ala-carte fee that adds up to $40? Prices are going up. Perhaps rather than treat everyone the same and raising the price to $40 NCL decided to allow the customer to decide how much they want to spend. There are land based restaurants (4 and 5 stars) that have Ala-carte pricing. If you want to spend $100 for dinner you can. If you want to spend $250 for dinner you can. It is your choice. This freedom to choose how much you will spend does add value to those that don't want to spend $250 for dinner.

5) Adding 18% to a free package deal is tacky, I agree with this one.

6) NCL does suite better than Carnival and Royal Caribbean. It is worth the higher price.

I have a cruise booked on the Escape next year and I do see the value in this cruise. Using your examples:

The water issue.

Some people prefer Coke to Pepsi (NCL's vendor) products; some are skittish of drinking ship water. Value to them, being able to bring these products aboard at no extra charge. Because our package included the UBP we already decided before the water issue to NOT bother bringing any liquids with us. I prefer Pepsi and we have no issue drinking water on the ship. UBP was big factor in us not needing to bring anything on and that was an added value.

Room Service.

Some people like to have a snack delivered to their room. But for the $7.95 delivery fee, that service has lost all value to many.We have very rarely done room service in the past and I have never done it on an NCL ship so this did not impact our value at all.

Freestyle Dining.

"Freestyle" was an industry hit. Dine anywhere, anytime. That concept is now a distant memory. Granted NCL does not do traditional dining, they are moving away from true "Freestyle". To many having to plan ahead to make reservation for dinner is not "Freestyle". To them, Value lost.I don't see making reservations as a take away from "Freestyle". I still get to choose when, where, and with whom I want to eat. IMHO that is what Freestyle is about. Plus we love the casual dress code every night. That is value added to us.

Ala-Carte Dining.

Along with "Freestyle" came specialty dining. To some the flat fee added no value to their cruise. To others the availability of other options to the MDR did add value. With the advent of Ala-Carte pricing driving a Cagney’s meal from the $25.00 flat fee to well into the $40.00 to $50.00 a meal range has further diminished any value specialty dining had.We very rarely eat in the Specialty Restaurants but we did enjoy Moderno's on our anniversary on our last NCL cruise. Moderno is still one price. Our next cruise came with SDP with 4 nights. This is will be a treat for us since we rarely do this. On top of that one of reasons we never did specialty restaurants before was because I don't eat enough to make it worth the one charge. Now I can choose what I want and pay less than that charge. Value added for us.

UDP(SDP) and UBP.

But after being charged their 18% fee on a free perk where did that value go? Yes it's still less expensive than paying full price for SDP or UBP. But as a value to the customer it is still an out of pocket expense. (My guess, the 18% on UBP more than covers the profit margin for both SDP and UBP).I don't see the 18% gratuity being added to these packages as losing their value. We would have tipped anyways. This is just pre-paying what we would have tipped on board in one payment. No loss in value there.

Cruise Fares.

NCL has always been fairly priced along with their competition. With the exception of the upper tier of cabins, this remains true. But the increase in those Suite level and above fares has decreased the overall value of an NCL Suite over other cruise lines that offer Suites and Suite amenities.

Since we don't do the suites we are not impacted by this. We have an angled balcony booked on our Escape cruise. I have read were I can ask for a lounger out there no problem. This is a value added for me :D

Look at my cruise history. I am not cruise line loyal. I do search for a SHIP that will give us what we want out of our vacation at a price we are willing to pay. Value is subjective. NCL may have lost its value to you. But it has not lost it for us yet.

Edited by Warm Breezes

My previous (and first) NCL cruise was on POA in 2014. That was at the height of the Sheehan era. My next NCL cruise is on Breakaway this December.

Here is how I compare the value in the areas you've called out:

Water Issue - We purchased the bottled water package on PoA on the first day. Knowing that the package is cheaper when pre-purchased online, we will be doing that and saving money. We have no interest in lugging water around in our luggage. Value Increased (due to us learning about an option we weren't aware about before).

Room Service - We were upsold into a Suite on PoA and purchased Haven directly for BA. We won't be paying for room service. Value identical.

Freestyle Dining - We made most of our reservations on PoA the evening of our first day, at the recommendation of our concierge. Even then, we had to pick an undesirable time for one night due to things filling up. This time, we are prepared and will be pre-booking online and relying on the concierge to make any changes necessary. Value Increased (due to us learning about an option we weren't aware about before).

Ala Carte Dining - We purchased the UDP on PoA so had full access to all restaurants at any time. We will have the 4-night SDP on BA. With the Haven restaurant in the mix, 4-nights is almost perfect for our needs. In addition, the SDP has more favorable up-sell terms for several venues. We did not try the sushi on PoA because it wasn't included in the UDP. On the BA, we can choose to have all-you-can-eat sushi for a $7 upsell. Value Mixed (fewer nights, more options).

Cruise Fares - The reason we were able to book Haven directly for the BA trip is that I was able to find a price so low, it was actually less than our original Large Balcony fare on the BOA *before* we upsold to a suite. This was booked last December, well into the FDR era. I'd been checking the prices often since 2014 and never had seen a Haven suite available for such a price. Average prices may have gone up, but better deals than ever are possible with patience and flexibility. Value Increased.

Aside from arguably dining, we are not losing a bit of value from our previous NCL cruise and are gaining quite a bit (mostly due to our own increased knowledge, not any policy changes).

As for other, positive, changes - I am quite looking forward to the increased quality of the food on board that many have been commenting about for the past year. I'm also looking forward to the increased amenities at GSC, even though we're going too early to be able to enjoy the new Haven area there.

I'm no slappy and will be just as upset as anyone when a change negatively effects me. However, given FDR's publicly stated intent to raise the profile of NCL, all the changes so far seem to be more impacting the "budget crowd" which is inline with their goals. TANSTAAFL - if you're doing more for the mid-tier demographic, then the bottom-tier is going to get less.

I guess it is not obvious what this thread is about.

It is not about the validity of my examples or if you use the services outlined in my examples. Those are examples of what others on this board have stated as items of lost value.

It is about the perceived loss of value in the overall NCL cruise vacation.

Mark

Perhaps it is time for you to try a different line.

Thank You,

We have. We have one more NCL cruise booked that was such a good deal that it would be foolish to cancel.

Base Cruise fares for NCL Suites forced us to look elsewhere and now we have two additional cruises booked with Princess.

Mark

I think showing how they aren't actually perceived as a loss of value by many is absolutely relevant.

Others, including myself, have also detailed perceived gains of value, which you also asked for.

I think I see the point that OP was trying to make. We've brought water on every cruise we've taken, not so much for use on the ship, as for being able to take a bottle with us when we are in port, so I would find it very annoying to have to purchase bottles on the ship at a high mark-up. I have used room service occasionally, mostly for breakfast in port, but once we came back in the middle of the afternoon from an excursion, and it was a nice alternative to the buffet, it was on the Carnival Breeze, so options were probably Pizza, Deli or Guys at that point, complimentary room service was a good alternative, I'd miss that option.

I made reservations for dinner every night on my only NCL cruise, but I doubt I had to for the MDR, I don't feel like that impacted my cruise, the one night I had a conflict, it was easy to change the reservation.

I can't speak to added value on NCL, but we had a great time and would cruise with them again. I doubt I'll ever get to the highest loyalty program levels with any line, so I won't limit my choices for the low level perks that I receive.

It is not about the validity of my examples or if you use the services outlined in my examples. Those are examples of what others on this board have stated as items of lost value.

Mark

Actually it was obvious. We just used your same examples to show how some of us do not have that same perceived loss in value in our overall NCL cruise vacation.

Cruising as a whole has changed over the last 25 years or so. A cruise in and of itself was an upscale vacation, with just about everything, except alcohol, included. In 1995, I was on a cruise for my honeymoon on the Majesty of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). We had an ocean view cabin, a port hole, and it cost us a little over $5,000 for two. As you know, the prices have decreased dramatically. There are many all-inclusive and upscale vacations out there. Unless you go with a high end line, cruising isn't one of them. It's not NCL - it's all of the mainstream lines.

Mark

Yes, but what you aren't seeing, is that even when some might see a perceived loss of value, others don't see it the same way. None of the items you mentioned do I perceive as a loss in value and I don't think I'm alone. Thankfully, we all have different likes and dislikes and as well as different exceptions as to what the value of our cruises are.

I think showing how they aren't actually perceived as a loss of value by many is absolutely relevant.

Others, including myself, have also detailed perceived gains of value, which you also asked for.

I was writing the above post and did not get a chance to read yours prior to posting.

I see where you outlined the how these are not a loss in value and even perceived gains.

Thank You. This the kind of discussion I was trying to get started.

I don't think that anyone is particularly commenting on the validity of your examples, but using them as a basis for discussion about how the perception of value is different for different circumstances.

You asked for some examples of areas where NCL have added value. A previous discussion along those lines was derailed when the person refused to accept any examples as the appointed themselves as referee (before CC just banned them).

I could give some examples of changes which give added value, as I see them, such as the improved itineraries, improved menus etc and some would agree with me whilst some disagree. However, seeing as a number of the examples that you give I see as improved value then it was worth using them as an example.

I could also list some other items which give less value as well, some of which don't bother other people. That's the problem, it is all so dependent on the individuals priorities.

In fact, the one thing that I would say really stands out for me over the past couple of years is how little all these changes have really actually altered anything for me. The cost is about the same, or a little cheaper and the onboard experience is pretty well identical, in my opinion.

Edited by KeithJenner

Thank You,

We have. We have one more NCL cruise booked that was such a good deal that it would be foolish to cancel.

Base Cruise fares for NCL Suites forced us to look elsewhere and now we have two additional cruises booked with Princess.

Mark

There you go, problem solved.

I've looked into the cost of a suite on Princess, it is much higher per night than the suites on NCL. Personally I don't see the value of a suite on Princess. You do. So you cruise in suites on Princess and I'll cruise in suites on NCL and we will both be happier.

For me, NCL is a poor value for money, which is why I've moved on. I had a wonderful experience on the Star, which led me to believe that NCL was a very good value for the money. After that, I had a dreadful experience on the Epic and left feeling like I'd wasted my time and my money.

I was never going to bring water or soda onboard anyway, so that doesn't affect me. The room service fee came in after my final payment date for my first NCL cruise, I was miffed, but it wasn't a big deal either way. As a vegetarian, the speciality restaurants don't appeal to me.

I like the UBP promo, and that coupled with a reasonable fare is was first led me to NCL. But the same promo can be found on other lines. Granted, other lines are more expensive, but while I can remember all of the reasons I couldn't wait to get off the Epic, I can't tell you how much I paid for that cruise.

I'm soon going on my first HAL cruise, and I'm paying $100/day for a beverage package on top of the fare. It's safe to say it's costing me a lot more than my NCL cruises, but if I can get off the ship and say, "I wish I could relive that trip right now" then value for money has been achieved.

For me, the value is in the experience and how I remember the experience once it's over, not so much in what I get or don't get onboard. Looking at the Epic from a purely product for money standpoint, it was a great value, but I didn't enjoy it, so for me, it was a poor value for money.

Of course, maybe I'll find that HAL isn't better than NCL and maybe cruising isn't for me. I hope not, though.

I think a lot of new/first time cruisers see the base price of the cruise plus the two 'free' perks and think they have found a deal. But they don't consider or know is the other value/cost variables that come into play. We booked Celebrity for next winter, however if I were to book Escape again for the same time frame, I'm seeing $949 base fare plus drink package. For someone who may not know any different, that's a good deal. We paid nearly $500/more per person than the comparable NCL cruise, yet I personally still find more value in the Celebrity offer we booked. It's all a matter of what's important and what's not :confused:

As others have stated, whether NCL provides value is totally subjective and based on individual needs and preferences. But I'll chime in with the two ways that NCL provides OUTSTANDING value to me.

First, as someone who enjoys the casino, the NCL Casinos At Sea program is far and away better than any other cruise line. It didn't take much (compared to other cruise lines) to achieve VIP status with CAS and enjoy all the perks that brings (not just spa and food/beverage credits - but the ability to cruise very frequently and very affordably.) I am also a Celebrity Blue Chip member, and there's no comparison between the programs.

Second, I love Bermuda and it is crazy expensive to do land vacations on Bermuda. I like luxury accommodations and good food, and I've done land trips to Bermuda for 3 days that cost double (or more) what it costs to cruise to Bermuda from NYC with NCL for a week. Just an example - there are many sailing enthusiasts in my extended family and we are planning to be in Bermuda for next year's America's Cup races. Hotel and airfare prices were insane - so I convinced everyone to jump on the Breakaway. Even with a Haven Aft Balcony and 5 regular afts, we are saving tens of thousands of dollars overall! Can't beat it.

I'm like those who never carry on water or soft drinks (not judging, but that just seems like the biggest hassle lol), etc. But then again, I get my canned soda and bottled water free through CAS. Do I wish they had Coke Zero? Yes, but I think I'll live. ;)

I treat the cruise ship as a floating hotel that gets me from port to port with Modified American Plan meals. If NCL is among the cheapest, it likely gives me value.

Exactly my viewpoint. I previously (20 years ago) cruised for other reasons. I now cruise for the ports.

Is there still any Value in a NCL Cruise?

Along with published cruise fares most people seem to look at what a cruise line offers to add value to the vacation over the other lines they can choose from.

A little background. I am a mid-50's military retiree. To fill some of my time I have a part-time job working for one of the Big Box HOME improvement store.

We sell the same products as our competition and many internet sites. Corporate has always made it a point to stress the quality and value of our products and services over the competition. To do that, you simply listen to the customer. They will tell you what adds value to them.

Definition of value from Merriam-Webster

1. a fair return or equivalent in goods, services, or money for something exchanged

2. the monetary worth of something : market price

3. relative worth, utility, or importance <a good value at the price>

4. a numerical quantity that is assigned or is determined by calculation or measurement

Is this concept lost on NCL? Or have they chosen to ignore their potential (and past) value over other cruise lines?

For example:

The water issue.

Some people prefer Coke to Pepsi (NCL's vendor) products; some are skittish of drinking ship water. Value to them, being able to bring these products aboard at no extra charge.

Room Service.

Some people like to have a snack delivered to their room. But for the $7.95 delivery fee, that service has lost all value to many.

Freestyle Dining.

"Freestyle" was an industry hit. Dine anywhere, anytime. That concept is now a distant memory. Granted NCL does not do traditional dining, they are moving away from true "Freestyle". To many having to plan ahead to make reservation for dinner is not "Freestyle". To them, Value lost.

Ala-Carte Dining.

Along with "Freestyle" came specialty dining. To some the flat fee added no value to their cruise. To others the availability of other options to the MDR did add value. With the advent of Ala-Carte pricing driving a Cagney’s meal from the $25.00 flat fee to well into the $40.00 to $50.00 a meal range has further diminished any value specialty dining had.

UDP(SDP) and UBP.

But after being charged their 18% fee on a free perk where did that value go? Yes it's still less expensive than paying full price for SDP or UBP. But as a value to the customer it is still an out of pocket expense. (My guess, the 18% on UBP more than covers the profit margin for both SDP and UBP).

Cruise Fares.

These are just a few examples that I chose from recent topics posted here on cruise critic. There are no-doubt many more examples of lost value on NCL cruises.

Now, to some these will not be a big deal. To others it may determine whether or not they book with NCL or take their hard earned vacation dollars to another cruise line.

As I stated earlier, Quality and Value. I won't go on about the Quality of the NCL brand. But I believe that NCL is losing the vacation value they once had over the other lines.

Go ahead and flame me. But before you do, think about what it is that you value in your NCL cruise and how you would react if that value was lost.

Mark

Mark,

first and foremost...THANK YOU for your service to our country!! Im sure you are a fine man who still upholds strong family values and traditions that you have held dear to your heart.

Like many things in life things have a way of changing...some for the good...and some for the bad...that being said we are all faced with the struggle of trying to decide where and with whom we spend our hard earned money...I agree with you on all of your points...im just glad that NCL has not hit us all at once with these never ending increases. I realize the cost of goods and services and the cost of doing business will continue to go up...but it does feel like NCL has been "taking" more then "giving" i also have in trepidation in trying something new...wether its a new cruiseline or a new port to sail out of....

i am appreciative that we have a forum so vast like this one where people can turn to gain insight and answers to all the constant changes.

I dont think there is a "perfect" cruise ship or cruise company out there that can be all things to all people. The cruise industry wants to stay competitive but also has to make money for the shareholders..that i guess is the bottom line...in life we all tend to romanticize the past...Accept certain inalienable truths

Prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too, will get old

And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young

Prices were reasonable, politicians were noble

And children respected their elders

Respect your elders

Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen) Lyrics |

For example:

The water issue.

The water issue isn't a big deal to me. Yes, we have taken a case of water on-board and now we can't.

The soda war makes no difference to me.

I don't like how NCL goes about making their changes more than I don't like the actual change.

Room Service.

Not applicable for suite guests and when cruising in a non-suite, we never used room service.

Freestyle Dining.

Making reservations is optional, not required. Some don't want to be bothered with making a reservation and just show up when they want to show up. That's their choice and if the wait doesn't bother them ("I'll be at the bar ..."), it's all good.

Ala-Carte Dining.

Again, it is optional. There are plenty of fine complementary dining options.

UDP(SDP) and UBP.

These are also options. The UDP was clearly better than the SDP but if people don't want to pay the 18%, they aren't forced to. People choose to dine at specialty restaurants and whether using a package or going à la carte, the choice is theirs to pay or not go. UBP (even with the added 18%) is still cost effective for most people.

Cruise Fares.

Fares fluctuate. Some get a better deal than others. This may give the perception that prices are worse than they are. I'd prefer if fares stayed constant up until about 30 days out but when people book over a year in advance, they will see prices rise and fall. Depending on when someone "hops on", they will either feel "cheated" or they scored a good deal.

That's up to the individual. If they are happy enough with the product, they will pay. If it becomes a problem, they can cut back on some options (room category, excursions, on-board spending, etc.).

Prices have risen, no doubt. Perks aren't as attractive, for sure. There is a tipping (not gratuity) point for everyone. I think NCL is seeing just how far they can go until people reach that point.

That is a great point. Other than "new ships" NCL hasn't given customers anything that would counter the changes that people are unhappy with. If they brought back some of the better promos, (waived DSC, 3-8 free, 1/2 down payment, UDP, etc.) most people would care less about the water issue. Some will never be happy because of the "Coke vs Pepsi" but it's unlikely that NCL will offer both anytime soon. If NCL allowed 1 case of water OR one case of soda per stateroom, some people would still complain but it would be a compromise that most could live with.

Edited by Two Wheels Only