NCL balcony safety

rc1973

We booked a 2017 NYC to Bermuda cruise on the Breakaway. We will have a 5 yo with us at the time. We booked a mini suite with a balcony and now I'm feeling a little concerned about the safety of having a balcony with a 5 yo. In 2015, we sailed on the Gem and changed our stateroom to an oceanview, due to these concerns. I found the oceanview to be a bit small for the three of us and the sleeping arrangements were way too cozy. Anyway, am I being too nervous worrying about the balcony? I just want to hear about other people's experiences and opinions. Thanks

We booked a 2017 NYC to Bermuda cruise on the Breakaway. We will have a 5 yo with us at the time. We booked a mini suite with a balcony and now I'm feeling a little concerned about the safety of having a balcony with a 5 yo. In 2015, we sailed on the Gem and changed our stateroom to an oceanview, due to these concerns. I found the oceanview to be a bit small for the three of us and the sleeping arrangements were way too cozy. Anyway, am I being too nervous worrying about the balcony? I just want to hear about other people's experiences and opinions. Thanks

If you keep the deck furniture away from the railing. You'll be fine.

Yes...you are WAY over-thinking this...and worrying about nothing. A child has never "fallen" off a ship. Drunk adults do, all the time. Children haven't!

The rails are HIGH...and I know your child will never be on the balcony alone...right? So...there you go. The cabins are small enough that if he attempts to open the balcony door with the child lock, you will be next to him in 2 steps.

A balcony is a great place for parents while the child is napping or down early for the night!

Thanks to both of you for your reassurance. We want the balcony as a place to sit and talk since our son goes to bed a lot earlier than us. It sounds like it's a good idea to keep it.

We were on the BA with our 3 year old. We did a have a problem with her opening the cabin door and running out ahead of us but not the balcony door. There is a lock very high up and there is no way a kid could get to it. Don't worry about the balcony. Just enjoy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk