Scissors/knives?

dukeorbust

Previous cruises I've gone on allowed knives and scissors shorter than a certain length. The website for MSC says "may search and confiscate" any weapons and doesn't add any specifics regarding each object listed? Does anybody know if they also have a length maximum or is it a total ban?

Edited by dukeorbust

I always have scissors in my luggage and have never had them confiscated. I purchased a set of chef's knives in Civitavecchia (port for Rome) once and handed them to security when boarding, being aware that I wouldn't be permitted to bring them onboard. I collected them when I disembarked. Why would anyone want to have knives onboard?

I always have scissors in my luggage and have never had them confiscated. I purchased a set of chef's knives in Civitavecchia (port for Rome) once and handed them to security when boarding, being aware that I wouldn't be permitted to bring them onboard. I collected them when I disembarked. Why would anyone want to have knives onboard?

Thanks! And I'm talking about multi-tools, not a machete.

Previous cruises I've gone on allowed knives and scissors shorter than a certain length. The website for MSC says "may search and confiscate" any weapons and doesn't add any specifics regarding each object listed? Does anybody know if they also have a length maximum or is it a total ban?

We always take small scissors in our checked luggage.

I flew with scissors in my personal item (backpack). No problems at security, and no problem getting them on the ship.

I had scissors confiscated at an airport, once. DH had put it in the pouch of a carry-on instead of the check-in bag which is where we usually keep it.

Thanks! And I'm talking about multi-tools, not a machete.

I always carry a Swiss Army type multi tool in my checked in luggage. No issues at airports or cruise ship. I did buy a compact set of star and flat screwdrivers in Civitavecchia market which caused some consternation on boarding the ship but they allowed it after I explained it was for fixing a case. Ken

I've nearly always had a pair of small scissors win me and that has ne'er caused an issue. A friend of mine had a knife confiscated (he'd brought it to cut oranges). So not a machete just a smallish kitchen knife but I dare say it could still injure someone. It was in his checked bag.

So it seems a folded small swiss army style knife is ok but a fixed blade of any length is frowned upon. Thank you all!

I would not even be sure of the folding Swiss army style. Security is Israeli (many former Mosad and armed forces). They're not hot on to enforcing policies about alcohol and some other stuff but they're extremely vigilant about anything that can be classed or used as a weapon.

I have in the past taken a corkscrew onboard that had a very small folding foil cutter built in to it. That never got confiscated.