Rent a car in Vancouver for one day?

We will have 2 full days in Vancouver before our cruise, not counting boarding day. Thinking we might do all the walk around easy, public transportation things one day - day 1.

And rent a car downtown just for one day to do the other things. Found one for just 34.00, picking up downtown. On my list are things like Grouse mountain, and the suspension bridge. Would it be easier with my own car, rather than buses etc? I realize parking is expensive in downtown (why i would rent for about 12 hours only)

Are there other things I could add to the car day to really see things too hard to do on foot and bus?

Appreciate all help. Dori

We will have 2 full days in Vancouver before our cruise, not counting boarding day. Thinking we might do all the walk around easy, public transportation things one day - day 1.

And rent a car downtown just for one day to do the other things. Found one for just 34.00, picking up downtown. On my list are things like Grouse mountain, and the suspension bridge. Would it be easier with my own car, rather than buses etc? I realize parking is expensive in downtown (why i would rent for about 12 hours only)

Are there other things I could add to the car day to really see things too hard to do on foot and bus?

Appreciate all help. Dori

There are shuttles from downtown to Capilano Canyon and Grouse Mtn.

If no shuttle to Grouse Mtn it is short bus route to the base . There also is a bus from Grouse Mtn the ends Lonsdale Quay and short ride on the seabus to downtown ( same ticket as the public bus) .

If the mountains are covered in clouds , just bypass Grouse Mtn.

Thoughts....

• wait 24hrs after landing to avoid the 17% car rental charge.
  • which hotel are you staying at? Some airport hotels offer complimentary parking. Yep downtown hotels can be $30 a day.
  • Think about where you are going... Whistler and Sea2Sky destinations would benefit with a rental. Grouse/Cap can be done with the free shuttles.
  • Weekends can be tough to find a parking spot at tourist attractions.
  • downtown is very compact.... taxi carload may be cheaper than rental

With a car, another option is the Lynn Canyon Park and Suspension Bridge. Entrance into the park is free. http://lynncanyon.ca/

I'd agree that Lynn Canyon is an excellent use of a rental car, as would be Steveston Village if that sort of thing is your bag (pretty, twee, seaside spot with a superb cannery museum) and Queen Elizabeth Park. While these can all be visited on transit, there's no shuttle and trips are lengthy with walking or transfers required. Free or cheap parking on-site too.

If you do want to get out of the metro area, the Sea to Sky would be my pick (though frankly unless you want to go hiking or biking, Whistler itself is underwhelming - the best views and sites are in the first hour or so of driving (Britannia Mining museum, waterfalls, gondola ride if that's your sort of thing.)