Grand Cayman bus information

cruisinqt

If you're thinking about taking a bus instead of paying big $$$ for a private tour, I've got lots of info. here for you.:) For only $1.50 per person you can take a bus to the turtle farm, 7 mile beach, Hell, or anything in the West Bay area of Grand Cayman. There are a number of buses that run up and down the 7 mile beach area, and at the end of 7 mile beach is the turtle farm and hell. That's where the buses turn around and head back to the pier area. They drop people off all along that strip. The price is great and if you can't find a bus stop, just flag one down. As they beep at you when they pass you just wave at them and they'll stop and pick you up. The Grand Cayman bus service uses white mini vans with a colored circle sticker on their back and front indicating their route. There's clearly marked bus stops all along West Bay road which is the road that 7 mile beach, the turtle farm, and hell is on. ;)

Route 1 is yellow and goes directly to the turtle farm from the pier. Route 2 is lime green and goes from the pier and makes stops along the 7 mile beach area. If you want route 2 lime green to stop at the turtle farm, there is an extra $1.25 charge to stop there. I didn't write down all of the other info. about the other routes since I was just interested in going to the turtle farm and hell, which are both at the north end of West Bay road. There are other bus routes that take you to the other areas of the island, but they are $3.00 per person and you have to switch buses and pay all over again to get to places like Rum Point Beach. I got my info. from the Grand Cayman convention and visitor's bureau, but I've misplaced their web address.:o

This is a good alternative to paying big money per person for a guided tour to the turtle farm or hell. A round trip to the turtle farm and back to the pier for a family of 4 is just $12. You can't beat that price, plus you get to browse around at your leisure before you flag down a bus for the return trip.:)

Okay, I found the website, it's: www.caymanislands.ky. Just click on "transportation" and you'll find all of the info. I posted. Yes, the buses are really mini-vans that are everywhere. They are parked along the pier, they cruise up and down 7 mile beach, and there are bus stops all along the 7 mile beach strip.

The vans are white with colored logos on the front and rear of the vehicles to indicate which route they are. They have blue license plates and each bus must display a fare table outlining the standard gov't authorized fares. This website says the fare is $1.50 per person to 7 mile beach, so maybe the $3.00 per person you paid was round trip. Or there could be imposters that have similar mini vans and charge a higher rate. This website goes out of the way to make sure you know how to identify the correct gov't approved buses, even telling you to look for the blue license plates.;)

The bus station on Edwards street is just the main hub where they all come from. But you don't have to go there to get a bus. They have a bus stop just one block from the pier. Just ask a local person which way the bus stop is and you should be okay. You should see the buses going up and down the street too. If you can't find the bus stop, just wave at one of the buses and they should stop and pick you up.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I plan on arriving at Owens Airport Sunday Dec. 25. What transportation services will be available that day. I'm going out to East End - will there be busses?

I would be shocked if there was bus service on Christmas Day, and I'm not aware of bus service to the airport. Normally the buses do not go out as far as the resorts in East End.

McCurley's Tours might be doing their usual airport transfers to East End since it is Sunday and a major turn-over day at the timeshare resorts on East End. Otherwise you can look into renting a car.

I would like to get to Rum Point. How would I do this by bus?

You could wander over to the Georgetown bus depot by the library and look for a bus marked NS (for Northside) and ASK THE DRIVER if he will continue on to Rum Point for an extra charge. (Busses do not usually continue out that far.) Best to coordinate with the same driver for a return trip as taxis and buses are not normally to be found at Rum Point.

I would like to get to Rum Point. How would I do this by bus?

I would be more worried about getting back in time - if you are on a cruise ship. A taxi might want $50 or so, if you can find one.

I certainly wouldn't pay someone an extra fee to take me somewhere until AFTER they showed up later to take me back. ;)

Archived