snorkling on our own

suesue25

I posted this in the Port of Call thread with no luck.

Will be in Grand Turk in Sept on the Sensation and will have our own snorkel equipment. We are inexperienced snorkelers so we don't plan on going way out and really don't want to do an excursion. Just looking for something to do on our own . Any suggestions ?

This a a great stop to be able to snorkel right from the beach. This port is truly a beach day, free lounge chairs right off the ship or head further down the beach 500 yards and you'll be at Jack's Shack. My husband and sons have snorkeled from the beach right there in front of Jacks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I posted this in the Port of Call thread with no luck.

Will be in Grand Turk in Sept on the Sensation and will have our own snorkel equipment. We are inexperienced snorkelers so we don't plan on going way out and really don't want to do an excursion. Just looking for something to do on our own . Any suggestions ?

If you don't want to do an excursion, you can snorkel from the beach but all you'll see are some tiny fish like sergeant majors, a few scissortails and some baby gar. The beach is way too sandy for marine life to congregate and thrive.

Even close to the pier, where the beach is very rocky, isn't a good place to snorkel.

There are some excellent excursions, either independent or thru the cruise line. Bring your snorkels and masks and then go out to the Wall or Coral Gardens. Some stop on smaller islands where they attract sting rays and small sharks for your viewing.

Don't get me wrong, GT is an excellent beach, just not suitable for good snorkeling.