First Impression of Remastering

Happyboating

it was also good fun watching the Maitre D' stopping people from walking through the restaurant to get to the pool deck - it was interesting seeing how some people responded to the polite request to go back and use the stairs and to go down one floor and along. Some simply did as they were requested, others barged through anyway and one man shouted and swore at the poor Maitre D' simply not caring that he was walking through an upmarket restaurant and clearly had no respect for the diners in it - he wasn't British!

I enjoyed reading this report, which I find well written and informative, thank you!

It is unfortunate that the kind of people as described can be found in any nationality.

When I press the info button on the remote, at the top of the screen it says DTV cable, Dolby Digital, English 480i, 16.9 and at the bottom of the screen there is a disc that shows a pie chart and the needle is sitting in the middle of the section that says LCD TV so I'm guessing that's the answer?

I pressed another button on the remote and the screen then showed an Internet app but when I then selected the web browser app I got the message "Server not found". My iPad also picked up a [TV]Samsung LED 40 signal but it's locked. Again, it looks like that's answered your question - it's an LED tv. Obviously I'm not an expert with technology so if you want me to go and ask a Purser your question I'm happy to do so.

Thanks, that's answered the question & It's as I thought.

480i essentially means that the picture is made of 480 lines - i.e. "Standard Definition" which has driven colour TV for decades. 720 lines is the "HD" you get on freeview or Sky. 1080 lines is "Full HD" and what you get from a Blu Ray player. 4k is 4,000 lines & what the latest curved TVs support & what Sky Q is.

So the In Stateroom TVs will probably Support Full HD (I doubt Cunard would go to the expense of 4k as they're considerably more expensive), but it would appear that whatever satellite they use only broadcasts 480i. As I said, 480i is decades old & was never an issue little old tube type TVs, but the picture does look fuzzy on these newer flat panel TVs with the bigger screens

It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit like buying a top end hi-fi speakers and hooking them to a clapped out tape deck.

Hopefully the feed will improve over time, but we don't go on QM2 to watch the telly!

480i essentially means that the picture is made of 480 lines - i.e. "Standard Definition" which has driven colour TV for decades. 720 lines is the "HD" you get on freeview or Sky. 1080 lines is "Full HD" and what you get from a Blu Ray player. 4k is 4,000 lines & what the latest curved TVs support & what Sky Q is.

So the In Stateroom TVs will probably Support Full HD (I doubt Cunard would go to the expense of 4k as they're considerably more expensive), but it would appear that whatever satellite they use only broadcasts 480i. As I said, 480i is decades old & was never an issue little old tube type TVs, but the picture does look fuzzy on these newer flat panel TVs with the bigger screens

It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit like buying a top end hi-fi speakers and hooking them to a clapped out tape deck.

Hopefully the feed will improve over time, but we don't go on QM2 to watch the telly!

The movies and route map are in fact shown in HD.

Glad the 'You're A Star' cards are still there even though we didn't get them, probably just a settling down thing after the refit. Also at the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party on both legs of the June 23 voyage there were no ice sculptures or 'Prawn fountain or warm 'Small Chow' in evidence. Maybe this was just a settling down omission too. I hope so, it gave a touch of glamour to the occasion (even though I don't eat prawns).

MM

Can I start with 'Sir Samuels' gone are the Laugen Sandwiches, the smoked salmon crouissants and those wonderful strawberry tarts. Instead you now get (at a price) Illy Coffee and a selection of Godiva chocolates that you would have to raise a mortgage to afford if you EL took a fancy to them. (I prefer Thorntons)

Those Godiva chocolates are a real rip-off. I bought a box of 6 as a gift which I understood was $9.25 but when I was presented with the bill to sign, I was charged 15% service charge!! Which I think turned out as $10.64. Never again!

And as I mentioned earlier, none of those small biscuits and glass of iced water with a cappuccino any more.

Those Godiva chocolates are a real rip-off. I bought a box of 6 as a gift which I understood was $9.25 but when I was presented with the bill to sign, I was charged 15% service charge!! Which I think turned out as $10.64. Never again!

And as I mentioned earlier, none of those small biscuits and glass of iced water with a cappuccino any more.

I just checked the Godiva website -- a box of 8 is $16.

8 pc. Gold Gift Box - Classic

★★★★★

★★★★★ 4.9 out of 5 stars. Read reviews. (10)

$16.00

4k is 4,000 lines & what the latest curved TVs support & what Sky Q is.

Just a technical correction; 4K (also known as Ultra HD) isn't 4K lines, it's actually 2160 lines high and 3840 pixels wide. And we all know that 3840 is close enough to 4K for the marketing department. :-)

Aloha,

John

That 15% service charge is getting way out of hand!