TrentS, How bad is the damage to hotels

The Cruisers

Trent...so great to hear that your family is safe! As others have stated..very little is coming via the news regarding Ft Lauderdale area. Thank you for taking the time to update everyone...a very generous act in deed considering the turmoil you must be facing!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Deb

Parts of South Beach are alive and well. Lights are on, restaurants and hotels are open....day by day, it's getting better.

Unfortunately, not only is lack of power an issue....lack of gasoline has created mile long lines at the gas pumps. Gas is available, gas stations just haven't invested in generators to operate the pumps. If people can't get gas, they can't get to work. If hotel staff can't get to work.......

Parts of South Beach are alive and well. Lights are on, restaurants and hotels are open....day by day, it's getting better.

Bequia, hope all is well for you and yours. You have in the minds and prayers of many of us.

Yes, Miami Beach for the most part has power and water, but they said on the local news that they're still not letting anyone over there except residents, which could be wrong, and quite frankly makes no sense whatsoever to me if it's true, but ??? :confused:

Downtown Miami has power as well and most of those hotels are open and operating. JW Marriott is an exception as they lost several windows.

FPL is saying November 22 before EVERYONE will have their power back, but it's going to be much sooner in most cases, and I can't imagine it taking THAT long. They're making progress, working 24/7. I'm in a highrise and see several more areas with light tonight than last night. As more areas get power the gas stations in those areas will be open. There's no problem with availability, nor any problem getting it from Port Everglades, it's just as Bequia said - Most stations don't have generators, and are closed until power comes back.

FLL will reopen tomorrow, operating a limited number of flights from 7am to 6pm. As always, check with your airline if you're coming in over the next few days.

Just a quick update regarding the SE 17th Street hotels...

Holiday Inn Express, AmeriSuites, Renaissance, all have no visible damage but are closed until they get power and water. They have signs that say "No Power, No Water, Closed until further notice".

Extended Stay America has no visible damage, and appears to still have guests in it. No power though.

Embassy Suites is closed due to water damage. It appears as if the glass roof over the atrium lost some of it's glass. There are several Servicemaster trucks there.

Hyatt Pier 66 & Marina Marriott have no damage, but are not open until they have power.

I can't get to the beach as it's not yet opened to non-residents.

Thanks for the update. We are suppose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Nov. 11 before our Liberty cruise. Hopefully it should have power by then being that it is two weeks away. I will call to check next week to make sure. Glad to see that some since of normalcy is returning to the area.

Hi,

I too am aware all you do for CC. If you note the time, you'll see it's early A.M. Our Co is a contractor for FEMA inspections and I work in the review section. We already have sent inspectors in Florida and some of them have already spent weeks in tent cities for Katrina and Rita. I am in awe of their endurance and stamina which is often fueled by their determination to be of real help when it's needed. We are on 24/7 here and have a similar sense of duty and concern about processing their work ASAP.

I thought of you when we got our first reports. So glad I'm able to actively show my appreciation even if from a distance. :)

Blessings,

Gail

Our hotel called, The Baymont Inn and Suites, and they said they will not be accepting us on Nov 5th! We are flying in and our cruise leaves on the 6th.

I am searching online for a nice hotel but nothing to expensive (over $125). Can you recommend anything.

I am currently searching on Orbitz and found a few but don't know how far they are from the airport and the pier. Has anyone heard of the Sovereign Oceanfront Hotel? Looks quaint..

We are staying at the Wyndham at the Airport. Did it survive? No phone service

We will be checking into the Wyndham Airport on tomorrow (Sat, Nov 29) I was told that they are running on a generator (no power) and no HOT water. Not accepting any new res. Will give refund to anyone with a res who wish to cancel.

Erby, for reviews, I strongly recommend tripadvisor.com. Read as many reviews as you can--it seems like almost any hotel will get one or two "one star" reviews that may or may not be justified, and may or may not reflect real problems or a temporary glitch. It's a great site for getting a sense of what you're in for, and wickedly addicting to read.

Our hotel called, The Baymont Inn and Suites, and they said they will not be accepting us on Nov 5th! We are flying in and our cruise leaves on the 6th.

I am searching online for a nice hotel but nothing to expensive (over $125). Can you recommend anything.

I am currently searching on Orbitz and found a few but don't know how far they are from the airport and the pier. Has anyone heard of the Sovereign Oceanfront Hotel? Looks quaint..

I have found Hotwire.com to have pretty good rates...I got the Wyndham Airport for $56.00 a night. Good Luck with your search!:)

I have found Hotwire.com to have pretty good rates...I got the Wyndham Airport for $56.00 a night. Good Luck with your search!:)

Erby...try the Baymont Inn and Suites at Sawgrass. It's not as convenient, but it's supposed to be nice (AAA gives it 3 stars) and less expensive...plus you can rent a car at the airport and leave it at the pier for about $40.

You might even save enough on the hotel to cover the cost of the car...plus it gives you a little more flexibility...and you might want to check out the mall at Sawgrass (nearby) for those last minute items...

Good luck!

..plus you can rent a car at the airport and leave it at the pier for about $40.

I have not seen any agency that allows cars to be dropped off at the pier. Most agencies will drop you off at the pier though.... When were you able to do this?

You're right C 2 C - you rent the car at the new airport rental complex, and return it to their "pier" location...then they shuttle you to the pier. You can't actually leave the car at the pier. Thanks for clarifying this - sorry that I mis-spoke!!

The Cruisers - Holiday Inn Express on SE 17th Street has power back and has reopened. Renaissance Hotel on SE 17th Street has also reopened, as has Hyatt Pier 66.

erby2283 - At this point I don't know what to tell you except to try them all and take what you can get. The problem is that so many locals who don't have power have taken rooms at hotels that do have power and are open, and on top of that the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show has been moved to November 3-6, so it's not going to be easy. :(

I haven't been in the Sovereign, but here are it's Trip Advisor reviews... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34439-d88528-Reviews-Sovereign_Hotel-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

TrentS - any word on the Extended StayAmerica? I did get an automated phone answer today instead of a busy signal. I took that as a good sign. Glad to hear things are starting to return to normal a bit in FLL. Thanks again for all your help.

Trent...What would we do without you? Any news on AmeriSuites? Still no phone service for them and their natonal number knows nothing.

I didn't have time to drive back in there today, but it didn't look like they had power back yet. It's VERY spotty, there can be power in one block and nothing again for blocks, or vice versa.

Archived