Epic/Europe Terror Threat -- are you worried?

mal&jason

Correct SwissLe!!

Personally I would have NO concerns going to any where on the Continent at the moment.

USA not so much

USA not so much?

You are showing you are uninformed

So you would go anywhere on the continent but not to the USA?

I think that has more to do with $$$$ than anything else

USA not so much?

You are showing you are uninformed

So you would go anywhere on the continent but not to the USA?

I think that has more to do with $$$$ than anything else

And I think you are making an assumption and being extremely rude.

There is far far too much gun crime and apparently on the increase in the USA for me to fell comfortable or safe.

Oh yes and I have relatives and friends who live in the USA and one of my friends was murdered by gunmen in Florida

Much of this issue is down to perception, history, understanding and the fact that the media is only interested in bad news.

Most Americans would be amazed if Europeans did not want to go to Miami because of something happening in Chicago. Europe is often portrayed to Americans as small, yet just taking the EU countries covering north of the Med that alone is half the size of the USA, and that does not even include Turkey. The main tourist port that NCL used to go to is Kusadasi and it is almost twice as far from Istanbul as it is between Miami to Orlando. And to give an idea of how Europeans feel about going on holiday there are apparently around 50,000 Brits alone in the Turkish holiday places in the west the country as we speak today,enjoying their sun and beach time.

The only time I can say that I have been really scared in a foreign country was when a couple of us accidentally came up out of the Washington Metro a couple of stops before the downtown shops. So I do understand what it is to be frightened when you are away from familiar surroundings at home.

I agree entirely that risk is very personal, but it is a real shame that the American people seem to getting the idea that Europe is not safe for them at present. There are issues, there are nasty people around, just like everywhere, but in Europe, they really are no worse than most other cruise destinations. Come and see for yourself.

Much of this issue is down to perception, history, understanding and the fact that the media is only interested in bad news.

Most Americans would be amazed if Europeans did not want to go to Miami because of something happening in Chicago. Europe is often portrayed to Americans as small, yet just taking the EU countries covering north of the Med that alone is half the size of the USA, and that does not even include Turkey. The main tourist port that NCL used to go to is Kusadasi and it is almost twice as far from Istanbul as it is between Miami to Orlando. And to give an idea of how Europeans feel about going on holiday there are apparently around 50,000 Brits alone in the Turkish holiday places in the west the country as we speak today,enjoying their sun and beach time.

The only time I can say that I have been really scared in a foreign country was when a couple of us accidentally came up out of the Washington Metro a couple of stops before the downtown shops. So I do understand what it is to be frightened when you are away from familiar surroundings at home.

I agree entirely that risk is very personal, but it is a real shame that the American people seem to getting the idea that Europe is not safe for them at present. There are issues, there are nasty people around, just like everywhere, but in Europe, they really are no worse than most other cruise destinations. Come and see for yourself.

I agree with you regarding much of Europe but Turkey? An attempted military coup yesterday. How many bombings in the last year in heavily tourists areas? The US military base on a delta level of security, Attaturk airport terrorist attack/bombing and a country with increasingly concerning political unrest not to mention terrorist threats. I'm sorry but a relaxing beach holiday with not a care does not seem without flaws at the moment. All that aside just the potential something very well may go wrong with a flight delay, and since we are talking about cruises, also a port omission, replacement...

I liken a cruise to Turkey and vacation to Istanbul right now to booking a cruise to the Caribbean when the weather report says a hurricane is coming. More power to all the holiday makers currently enjoying their carefree day on the beach today and wandering the streets of Istanbul.

When planning a relaxing and expensive holiday, Turkey would not be at the top of my list. There's a very big difference between a terror attack in Nice or Orlando and an attempted military coup and what has been going on in Turkey.

Anywhere you live, anywhere you go you need to be informed, and keep your heads up. Travel to all places but remember you are a tourist, plan your excursions so they are in safe areas, let others know your exact plans, be alert and keep together, have a communications plan if you get separated and a agreed on meeting place. I recommend watching the DHS video Run, Hide, Fight, it teaches you common sense but often forgotten information in a active shooter or terrorist situation. The video is only about six minutes long and very basic but just knowing a few of these things may really prove useful, I hope you never need it.

Anywhere you live, anywhere you go you need to be informed, and keep your heads up. Travel to all places but remember you are a tourist, plan your excursions so they are in safe areas, let others know your exact plans, be alert and keep together, have a communications plan if you get separated and a agreed on meeting place. I recommend watching the DHS video Run, Hide, Fight, it teaches you common sense but often forgotten information in a active shooter or terrorist situation. The video is only about six minutes long and very basic but just knowing a few of these things may really prove useful, I hope you never need it.

Thank you for the link. I can't believe how emotional I got in jut six minutes! Sheesh. I hope to never face this situation, but at least now I have information that will help increase my chances of survival if I do. Thank you.

I would add my 'second' to the importance of being informed. We were on a X cruise in Med (itinerary had been changed because of Holy Land issues) and stopped in Tunis. We had no problems on our excursion (it was terrible...a local herding is into his relatives shops) but we learned afterwards that the US Embassy had been closed because of concerns and some months later there was a terrorist shooting in a museum. While I am sure the cruiselines have the interests of their passengers in mind for the most part I feel their decisions regarding ports, etc. are complicated by many concerns,

Is it any more 'absurd' than removing a continent from your travel map due to terrorist activity?

No continent is exempt from my travels, except perhaps Antartica.

A smart traveler studies current events, history and evaluates the level of risk for the specific places they plan to visit.

I recall seeing somewhere that there were In fact cruises scheduled to be there at this time

Posters were saying they were flying in this weekend.

Another reason to buy your insurance within 14 days it's not just the pre existing Illness clause anymore unfortunately that matters

Well said !! 😀😀

I appreciate this post. I've been feeling jittery about our September cruise since the terrorism in Nice. But not planning to cancel. It helps to read others feelings on the subject. Interesting reading people's perception on how safe the USA is. I always have felt very safe here and view Europe as less safe but do not want a debate. Good sailing to everyone 😊😊😊

Not sure what the system is in the USA for you to be able to claim if you want to cancel due to unrest. In the UK, the system is very clear. If the UK Foreign Office say a place is considered safe then you will not get any Insurance Company to pay out.

We were due to travel to Kenya a few years ago when they had real problems after disputed elections. The UK advice was that certain parts of Kenya were not safe, but if you avoided these places all was OK to travel. We had taken the precaution of booking the trip with a local TA and took their advice and went. We had the best time ever because the local people depended on our money for them and their families and they made us so welcome.

The current UK FO advice for Turkey today is to avoid going anywhere within 10 KM of the Eastern Border with Syria and to avoid some areas of Istanbul and Ankara. The tourist areas that are over 400 miles away from there are seemingly OK. If you are interested, the full up-to-date info is at: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

If you want to put all of this stuff into perspective, have a look at the UK FO advice for some of the Caribbean and Central American countries and compare your experiences with that advice. If you are still not happy, don't go, but please don't forget just how many of the normal people in these countries depend on our spending for their livelihood.

I appreciate this post. I've been feeling jittery about our September cruise since the terrorism in Nice. But not planning to cancel. It helps to read others feelings on the subject. Interesting reading people's perception on how safe the USA is. I always have felt very safe here and view Europe as less safe but do not want a debate. Good sailing to everyone 😊😊😊

I found the comments about the U.S. interesting as well. But, then, Oregon is a bit of Nirvana anyway. :D

No continent is exempt from my travels, except perhaps Antartica.

A smart traveler studies current events, history and evaluates the level of risk for the specific places they plan to visit.

Why what do you have against penguins??

They matter too. Lol

I must be in the minority ... going back to Europe is on hold until things get sorted out. If I was going solo, then no problem, but ain't taking fam overseas ... I lose enough sleep trying to keep them safe in the states. To each their own.

I agree 100%

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

It does make me a little more nervous and we are sailing from Barcelona in October but I lived through the Troubles in NI and don't want terrorists to win. I'm actually more nervous about visiting London than Europe.

Btw. London is still Part of Europe;)

My nice has been to Barcelona last week, she did not feel unsafe at all.

Marie

Btw. London is still Part of Europe;)

My nice has been to Barcelona last week, she did not feel unsafe at all.

Marie

Sorry marie, should have written more nervous about visiting London than Barcelona. Glad your niece felt safe when she was there last week.

I appreciate this post. I've been feeling jittery about our September cruise since the terrorism in Nice. But not planning to cancel. It helps to read others feelings on the subject. Interesting reading people's perception on how safe the USA is. I always have felt very safe here and view Europe as less safe but do not want a debate. Good sailing to everyone [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Maybe we all feel safer in 'our own backyard'.