Missed the boat on Booksafe. Alternative travel protection plans?

We didn't opt for the travel insurance at the time of booking but now regret it. A family member is having some health issues so we need to insure our trip just in case he suddenly takes a turn for the worse and we're unable to cruise. I know that I'm not able to add the coverage now, since I'm a few weeks past the final payment.

Any suggestions for third party providers? I know it probably won't be cheap but I'm okay with paying for peace of mind (like we should have originally).

We didn't opt for the travel insurance at the time of booking but now regret it. A family member is having some health issues so we need to insure our trip just in case he suddenly takes a turn for the worse and we're unable to cruise. I know that I'm not able to add the coverage now, since I'm a few weeks past the final payment.

Any suggestions for third party providers? I know it probably won't be cheap but I'm okay with paying for peace of mind (like we should have originally).

Check with Steve at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL, don't just read the policy summaries online.

From your description, "after final payment", the coverage we use as "backup" when we don't insure early... won't work either.

But I remember he mentioned there was one other possible policy, but I have NO idea if it will help you, especially given that you will be dealing with a pre-existing condition (someone already sick).

But ask.

The worst case answer is 'nothing for you now', but then you are only back where you started.

Also, start to read the Travel Insurance section of CC:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Good luck.

Edited by GeezerCouple

Check with Steve at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL, don't just read the policy summaries online.

From your description, "after final payment", the coverage we use as "backup" when we don't insure early... won't work either.

But I remember he mentioned there was one other possible policy, but I have NO idea if it will help you, especially given that you will be dealing with a pre-existing condition (someone already sick).

But ask.

The worst case answer is 'nothing for you now', but then you are only back where you started.

Also, start to read the Travel Insurance section of CC:

Good luck.

Thanks, though I had no intention on mentioning the illness. We were kind of kicking ourselves after not booking it to begin with, even before the family member fell ill, so I plan to just go with that. Besides, I always assumed that a pre-existing condition was more in line with personal health issues.

Thanks, though I had no intention on mentioning the illness. We were kind of kicking ourselves after not booking it to begin with, even before the family member fell ill, so I plan to just go with that. Besides, I always assumed that a pre-existing condition was more in line with personal health issues.

Do NOT withhold information.

If you have a claim that is related to medical (or death) situations, unless you have an exclusion of pre-existing conditions (which is probably your main problem just now), the insurer is very likely to request medical records.

That means they would probably deny the claim, in which case, why pay for it?

Worse, you will have to sign a statement that the information you provided is accurate, as will any physicians.

I doubt you want to get into any of that....

And as for Steve... he cannot help you unless you tell him exactly what types of coverage you need, and perhaps why.

No point in having him, for example, sell you a cheaper policy where a claim won't be approved, vs. a more expensive policy that would at least *work* for you, etc.

--> Whether this is a concern for a "family member" is *exactly* what you need to ask him, after all.

We're in the process of filing a claim as DH became sick while on our last cruise and we had onboard medical expenses. One of the questions to his PCP was if he had been seen for this illness for 120 days prior to when the insurance was purchased, so even if you don't mention it, insurance may ask.

You might want to look at the Cruise/Travel Insurance Forum if you haven't already:

Good luck - hope it all works out.

Edited by MarKay525

Generally, if you want pre-existing or cancel for ANY reason, you have to buy it when you first book.

CSA sells at least one policy that includes both of these, as long as the policy is started within 24 hours of final payment (defined very specifically).

However, the CFAR is expensive at that point, although the waiver of pre-existing condition isn't bad (at least not for our ages, needs, etc.).

We've had to use that on the rare occasion when we made a refundable deposit to "claim" a specific accommodation or fare, but weren't at all sure we'd go.

(We got tired of transferring and forfeiting payments for deposits for trips we changed...)

We did NOT get the CFAR then, but we don't always need it anyway.

We have several times needed to use the one-time change of trip for TravelInsured policies, when we did start the coverage within 21 days of the initial deposit of the original trip.

That's been very helpful!

I was able to book a policy with AIG. I provided all honest information and was offered a policy with the same benefits and coverage that I would have received through Booksafe for right around the same amount.

Thanks for the help.

Good to know.

How does the policy handle pre-existing conditions in family members?

There's nothing stating that there must not have been any illness/treatment/etc. (or at least, not related to any claim)?

That's one question we still aren't sure about (and need to clarify):

How pre-existing conditions relate to non-traveling family members, if the insurance isn't taken out soon after the first payment.

Thanks!

Some policies define pre existing condition so that it applies to all close family members. Other policies define pre existing condition so that it applies only to close family members who are booked to travel with you.

If you ever want to purchase coverage due to the poor health of a relative who is not traveling, go with the latter type of policy.

If you cancel a trip due to a family member's medical condition, and the travel insurance definition of pre existing condition applies to that family member, it's not likely you'll collect, even if you were sold the policy.

Some policies define pre existing condition so that it applies to all close family members. Other policies define pre existing condition so that it applies only to close family members who are booked to travel with you.

If you ever want to purchase coverage due to the poor health of a relative who is not traveling, go with the latter type of policy.

If you cancel a trip due to a family member's medical condition, and the travel insurance definition of pre existing condition applies to that family member, it's not likely you'll collect, even if you were sold the policy.

That's why I'm asking how the policy was written.

Just because they gave "honest answers", that doesn't guarantee this type of situation...

You can buy travel insurance up to 48 hours before departure

The good policies define it as pre existing condition of the traveler and party only

How can anyone know if someone not traveling with them...even a close relative...has a pre existing illness

Ridiculous...pre existing relates to the the traveling person and immediate traveling family on the same policy!!!

It doesn't matter that your mother in law is end stage but forgot to mention this to you

We're in the process of filing a claim as DH became sick while on our last cruise and we had onboard medical expenses. One of the questions to his PCP was if he had been seen for this illness for 120 days prior to when the insurance was purchased, so even if you don't mention it, insurance may ask.

You might want to look at the Cruise/Travel Insurance Forum if you haven't already:

Good luck - hope it all works out.

Even if they were seen it can't really matter....all that much....consider high blood pressure...you see a dr 2/3 times a year to monitor it right?

Read the part of the policy that states....pre existing illnesses are covered if the traveler is able to travel at the time the policy was purchased.

That is key....you book a cruise and buy the insurance and as long as you can travel on that day of purchase you are covered...

However if you are scheduled for surgery next week but book and buy today...are you really healthy?

Take the example of a hernia that your dr is watching for years and keeps saying it's fine....you book and buy a policy...but a week before the cruise you have emergency hernia repair

You are still covered as you were healthy with a good dr report on the day you bought the policy