Shoes for walking around the various islands

RumRunner01

Hi everyone, I'm on TP that leaves 11/20 so I'm thinking ahead to what to bring. I always seem to bring too many shoes so I'm trying to pare it down a bit. Usually when I go on a tropical vacation I wear mostly little flip flop shoes stevemaddenflipflop.jpg (they are very comfy for me to walk in all day). But when I went to Costa Rica I found that this type of sandal sketchersandal.jpg worked well for the walking and hiking and around we did, and did well if it got wet or muddy.

We are doing an all day tour of Tahiti and perhaps some exploring on our own on other islands. For those of you who have done all-day tours, I'm just wondering if you are ok with flip flop shoes or if you have to get out and do a bit of hiking aside from where the vehicle takes you. The thicker sandal I have is heavy and bulky and if I don't need to take them I won't.

I already know about reef shoes for snorkeling and got that covered.

We have not been to this area yet, but I switched from sandles to tennies for our Southern Caribbean cruise earlier this year. The hiking in St Lucia's rainforest and the Gully system in Barbados would have been miserable in sandles. I watched many sliding around in their flip flops. Not a pretty site.

I to usually take to many pairs of shoes, but I found that my shoes fit inside my husbands. So now I save space, and double up.

I'm interested in this answer too....I always take way too many shoes ( and clothes)....anyway I can cut back will be a blessing since we're traveling so far.....last cruise I took 1/2 of the clothes out after my first packing....and I still took too much. I get better with each cruise - but always take too many shoes.

All trips I've been on, flip flops were fine for excursions. Except in Costa Rica. Had to have sandals or shoes meant for the terrain. I have those but they are so darn heavy and bulky I'd rather not bring them. Flip flops are so much more comfy and easier to pack. I guess I have 3 weeks yet to decide.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of Keen sport sandals, for reef & walking, after hearing rave reviews about them from several people:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1473149/c/31792.html

Anyone seen these before or have any experience with them? One friend told me the soles are really flexible but sturdy and your feet don't get too sweaty.

I don't think we have any excursions with real hiking involved, but knowing how it rains there and knowing we'll be walking in some nonpaved areas, I thought that something more sturdy than a flip flop might be better. The things I got for the reef are just those little water socks with the rubber sole. I got them at Wal Mart a year ago or so. Have used them on only 2 trips so far. I think I paid like $8 or $10 for them.

As for the Keen sport shoes, I see lots of people wearing things like this on excursions and even just around town. They must be comfy since you see people wearing them for hours. It sure is nice to have one shoe that can go from land to water without changing.

There are these flip flops but then I wouldn't have the secure back to keep the shoe on the foot: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/3252595/c/11879.html

Or these that look more secure and would stay on the foot: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/4666747/c/42715.html

I could eliminate my water slippars, pair of cheapo casual flip flops, and the bulky Sketchers (that are on their last leg). The downside is that this shoe would be worn only on tropical type vacations like this one as I'd *never* normally wear a shoe like this.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived