Trying to decide FLL or Miami

jeja911

We are flying into FLL on Dec. 16th and cruising out of Miami on the 17th. We've stayed in FLL before and we like it but thinking of just making the trip to Miami and staying close to port. Hubby wants to save money and stay in FLL so I am looking at hotels in FLL that SAS will pick up from and looking at taking the water taxi around for a bit. But... I kind of want to experience Miami since I've never been and I'm not sure when I will go back. I will have the hubby and 2 daughters with me. Looking to stay in the $150 range for 1 night. So I'm looking for suggestions on what would be better. To stay in FLL or stay in Miami? Best place to stay in Miami with restaurants within walking distance? If we stay in Miami, who should we use for transport from FLL airport? We are comfortable with Uber but I worry because we will each have a good size suitcase. (Trying to convince a teen girl she doesn't need all those clothes or makeup is not working :rolleyes:)

I can throw this out there cuz I'm kind of in the same boat for Jan. The research I've turned up for transportation to Miami (the many shuttles: SAS, jiffy Jeff, Miami port express etc have limited times or drop off locations in Miami) that I may use is Limos of South Florida. Website quotes $69. I may just use Uber though

b/c only 2 of us and no reservation needed and Go Airport Shuttle may have us making multiple stops. 2 of us with them will almost equal Uber

w/o additional stops. Good luck!

Edited by Luvmypetz

The later in the day you arrive, the fewer shuttles will make the trip from FLL to Miami, and the more you'll pay. All 4 of you could fit into a taxi-van or Uber XL, but the price just to get to your hotel will then likely be $80+ to get to a hotel you only want to pay $150 for? :confused:

Even in the off season $150/night is a tough budget for downtown Miami - check out the Hampton inn and Homewood Suites in the Mary Brickell area.

If you want to experience the "Miami" you see in the movies and on TV you need to stay in or visit the city of Miami Beach, specifically the South Beach area. Lots of small boutique hotels (with small rooms not suitable for a family), plus great dining, people watching and nightlife.

I would stay in FLL this time and save South Beach for an anniversary trip when it is just you and spouse and your budget is a little more flexible. ;)

Good luck! :)

If you join Hilton Honors club on line, you can stay for $174 at Hampton Inn Brickell. This rate includes a nice breakfast. Less for Homewood Suites. $161 Great location for walking around with restaurants and stores for last minute things. Just a couple miles from the port. I'd stay here for the change.

And just take a shared shuttle from FLL for the $15 each. QLS or Jiffy Jeffs are just two of the shuttle services. A large uber or a cab will cost the same or more.

You don't say what TIME you are arriving. If arriving late, then probably staying near FLL is the best bet.

Thank you everyone for your help! Our flight gets in around 4 so it's not too late but it might be better to just stay in FLL to make it easier. I will save the Miami visit for another time.

I would stay in Fort Lauderdale...consider Hyatt Place (great location right next to the Harbor Shops..Publix market & Duffy's) they have a free shuttle from FLL to their hotel..check pricing using

http://www.valuetrips.com for the best rate.

Then Uber or UberXL to POM the next morning...or you could take the hotel shuttle back to FLL and take one of the many shuttle bus's there like GoAirport, SAS, JiffyJeff etc. to POM....Just something for you to consider...Best of luck and enjoy.