Escape Internet Speeds- Has it been improved?

ncsu1977

After doing a bit of research regarding the planned internet upgrade it appears there are 2 parts to this. The first part is the implementation of a predicted pre-load of popular web sites (Facebook, etc) which should improve perceived load times of certain web sites. This may improve the overall user experience somewhat however not for all internet content. The second part to this is the upgrade of satellite receiver equipment (new dishes, etc). I assume this should have some performance improvements associated with it or NCL would not spend the money to do so otherwise. The bottom line though is that the new upgrades are STILL going to be satellite-based which means poor bandwidth as compared to cable or fiber based (as in your home/office) as well as greater latency (time to reach your destination and return). There is no way around that given the current satellite technology. In other words, their claim of "lighting fast" internet is probably more marketing hype than huge increases over the current level of service. I hope I'm wrong!

I just got off the escape on saturday. while browsing was painfully slow we were able to facetime which completely surprised me given the fact that it seemed so slow for general browsing and social media.

-Matt

Sadly, Royal Caribbean AND even Carnival have better internet.........

Disney, too.

Interesting about Facetime. I know on the GA at least, they do some significant blocking/filtering of certain services (for example, DropBox won't connect without a VPN up, so they might be explicitly blocking it). They will also dump you from several different VPN services. Maybe they are letting Facetime through, intentionally or accidentally.

Sadly, Royal Caribbean AND even Carnival have better internet.........

I am doing breakaway next week and did RCL adventure of the seas last month. I paid about $119 for their surf+stream unlimited for the week and was actually able to watch Amazon prime and Netflix on my tablet. I travel solo which is why I like the unlimited option because I use it in my room for background noise and watch before going to sleep. Next week also unfortunately is now going to be a busy time at work, but I just can't wrap my head around spending $239 a week for non-streaming slow internet. If you are offering a sub-par product, at least reflect it in the price you are charging.

Everything else about NCL (except one buffet thing), I actually like better than RCL when going alone. Everyone has their one issue (see water threads, smokey 6-7-8, the new balcony divider thread) this mine :)

I am doing breakaway next week and did RCL adventure of the seas last month. I paid about $119 for their surf+stream unlimited for the week and was actually able to watch Amazon prime and Netflix on my tablet. I travel solo which is why I like the unlimited option because I use it in my room for background noise and watch before going to sleep. Next week also unfortunately is now going to be a busy time at work, but I just can't wrap my head around spending $239 a week for non-streaming slow internet. If you are offering a sub-par product, at least reflect it in the price you are charging.

Everything else about NCL (except one buffet thing), I actually like better than RCL when going alone. Everyone has their one issue (see water threads, smokey 6-7-8, the new balcony divider thread) this mine :)

It's expensive because it is the slow internet, the more people on it the slower it is. I think they are actually trying to keep users down by charging the prices they do. When it becomes high speed I would expect prices to actually come down similar to how royals did.

-Matt

Well it's working because I am considering only getting the 1gb which is $100 less.

I will put in a plug here for kindle fire and other android based devices that have expandable memory. I used to bring my iPad, but I got a pretty inexpensive kindle before my December breakaway and it is great because I loaded it with a bunch of shows and movies and I don't need Internet to watch them.

I really just wanted the Internet to check work email and read the news.

I'm not sure which thread it was, I think it was another Escape trip report this week, but someone mentioned asking onboard about the upgrade. The crew member seemed to be trying to manage expectations--they told them that the upgrades had started, but that even afterwards it wasn't going to be a huge difference.

It doesn't sound like NCL has bothered to invest much money on this.

I've cruised several lines now (with more on the way) and the only one I have zero interest in is RCI. (Especially after I read a long Oasis trip report yesterday wherein most of the pictures look like they were taken at my local upscale mall, and you can't even see the ocean in many outdoor shots.) But I do envy their connectivity.

I think my upcoming October Escape trip is going to be the one where NCL doesn't get my money for Internet. They don't seem to want it very badly.

I've been on the Escape for this past week and will be on her next week. Internet is slow but usable. Twitter and Instagram work pretty well. Nothing streaming (they block it) even Sirius Satellite Radio which I got fine on RCL last year.