Heh -- I just passed a big P & O truck on the highway

HahvadYaad

Contrary to my handle, I am not from MA but CT and the P & O truck had MA license plates. Because I enjoy making an *** out of me and myself, I'm going to assume that the ship was headed to NYC from Bah-ston, possibly carrying the lobsters and hotdogs we all dream about. icon_wink.gif

Ahhh, just a little reminde of past and future travels! icon_smile.gif

P&O is one of the oldest and larger commercial cargo shippers in the world (British based). It had a UK cruise line of the same name. They purchased the US Princess line forming P&O/Princess - then later spun off their cruise business to "focus on their core business" (cargo).

Shortly after being spun off, the cruise lines sought a merger with Royal Carib, and by putting ownership "in play" ended up being bought in a hostile bid by Carnival Corp. a couple years ago.

It you saw a truck mounted P&O container rumbling through town it is almost certainly a commercial cargo box in transit and completely unrelated to the cruise industry or Princess.

You know I have always wondered about those trucks. I see them all the time here in Maine on the interstate. It say's P&O on the side and it definitly looks just like the P&O logo. Anyone know if P&O also runs a shipping company or are they for crusies? They do dock in Bar Harbour and I think Boston during the summer and fall so that could be it.

Scott

P&O Cold Storage has a huge facility in Avon, Mass (sort of across Route 24 from Jordan's Furniture, if you know the area). They also have (or had) the exclusive delivery rights for Trader Joe's in the Northeast.

I interviewed there for a job 2 years ago (in the office, not on the road!) and found the organization to be totally FUBAR, and decided not to go back for a 2nd interview when offered one.

I did ask if employees got discounts on Princess cruises, the guy interviewing me didn't know the answer to that.

As mentioned above, these have nothing at all to do with Princess. The trucks are most likely either truck-mounted P&O Nedloyd containers; P&O Nedloyd being the container line that is 25% owned by the P&O Steam Navigation Company (50% owned up until a few days ago). P&O Cruises has had little to do with the P&O Steam Navigation Company since 2000 when it was spun off into the independent company P&O Princess Cruises plc (now P&O Princess Cruises International Ltd, part of Carnival Corporation & plc).

Meanwhile the P&O Steam Navigation Company concentrates on container shipping (P&O Nedloyd - 25% owned by P&O), ferries (P&O Ferries), and various logistics, ports, and properties subsidiaries such as P&O Cold Storage.

For more on the P&O Steam Navigation Company and its fascinating history see here.

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Archived