Dover delays

ivrier

We're (ahem) in the same boat.

We'd planned to take the Disney bus to Dover on Monday, but I think we're switching to the train to take those motorways out of the equation. Any downside to that that I've missed?

The link you sent ivrier says up to 12 hour delays! :eek:

I would contact DCL Guest Services by email to ask if they have any information and make sure you check your emails for any changes they may make to sailing departure time.

Best of luck and I hope the French border arrange something to speed it up.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

We're (ahem) in the same boat.

We'd planned to take the Disney bus to Dover on Monday, but I think we're switching to the train to take those motorways out of the equation. Any downside to that that I've missed?

The link ivrier posted has advice on getting to the terminal but says there is a problem with the trains also.

http://www.doverport.co.uk/cruise/how-to-get-here/

Please Note: Currently trains to London start from Folkestone West. For more information please visit:

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/your-journey/dover-line-closure/

Sounds like really bad timing.

I hope you both and everyone else figure something out.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Thanks Ex techie, I appreciate the legwork.

I saw that same notice, but it seems to only apply to certain lines in the National Rail system. Unfortunately, it's the high-speed line that's affected, but the local-rail service seems to bypass the damaged area. Makes a 90min journey into a 2hr journey, so hardly a deal breaker here.

In case anyone else is looking for options, the trains from London Victoria seem unaffected, while the high-speed rail from St. Pancras require a...bus to complete the journey to Dover. Which is what I'm trying to avoid, of course.

By the way ExT, do you have a recommended email address for guest services? The website has a 1-888 number, but I'm trying to limit calls due to international charges. They seem to studiously avoid posting a web addy. Is it just guestservices@dcl.com?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the email. I'll give it a shot tonight.

The UK phone number is a good idea. I don't think it'd save me much on my cell, but I can probably call straight from our B&B to the UK number.

And Skype is a good idea. Hadn't occurred to me. That'll be Plan C.

Thanks again for the help and well wishes. I'm confident things will work out fine.

On a positive note, the weather here has been exceptional. I'm afraid my kids are getting a very misleading impression of the English climate... :D

Thank you for your response. We already initially have a transfer from the hotel to the Dover court by car. But because of the delays we will try to bypass this but using the train. We we will probably take the train as our hotel is only five minutes away from Victoria's station. Has anybody ever taken the train from Victoria station to Dover? What is the difference between first-class tickets and regular tickets? I traveled by train in the before and I'm wondering if the train is similar to the ones here in London . We are a family of four with four large luggagees and hand carries. Is it doable?

Providing me the UK Disney cruise line number. I will contact him later.

Loverhammer, Which Hotel are you staying at? We are staying at Park Plaza which is a five minute walk to the Victoria station. Checking the BBC news there is still a delay netting Dover which will probably extend to Tuesday. We will be going to the Victoria station and inquire about the transfer from Victoria station to Dover.

We went this time last year and I was watching this news and thinking what would I do in this situation. I think the key issue is getting to Dover if you were doing so by road.

You can get rail times etc here http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

As far as tickets I've done done this specific route but I wouldn't bother with first class tickets for this. First are generally slightly more spacious seats and more likely to be guaranteed a table but on the south east area with this being commuter trains the difference between first and standard is normally fairly minimal. Luggage there are racks at the end of each carriage and it's the same for either class of travel.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the French security check issue is at the ferry port, which is different to the cruise port and you don't need to do a French security check for the cruise. So if you can get to Dover by train or otherwise then you should be fine.

Good luck!!

We're at an AirBnB over by Paddington. Not quite as convenient to Victoria as you, but we have a direct line to that station by Tube so not too bad.

I bought tickets for the off-peak (after 9am-ish) trains to Dover in coach. The ticket agent said that bags wouldn't be a problem, which is consistent with aln_wag's comments (Thanks for your reply!)

DCL phone support opens at 11am this morning. No response to my DCL email requesting information yet.

Aside from getting my family there, my biggest concern is for people that are flying into Heathrow/Gatwick fat, dumb and happy on Monday morning with no clue :eek:. I really hope that this is cleared up before they hit the road. :(

Further update.

I called the UK DCL guest services number and spoke with a rep who assured me that they were monitoring the situation and there was no need for concern. However, he then went on to say that I should contact "embarkation services," who would have more information for me, as they "may be moving up the shuttle departure time or changing to tr..." and then he stopped himself and directed me to Embarkation Services. On the whole, it sounded very much like a "I don't know but I've been told to make happy noises and pass you off to another group of people" type of reply. :mad:

He did not transfer me, but gave me a number of (UK) 080087190466. Which doesn't seem to work. Hmm.

At this point, I'm still glad I sprung for the backup rail passes.

Further update.

I called the UK DCL guest services number and spoke with a rep who assured me that they were monitoring the situation and there was no need for concern. However, he then went on to say that I should contact "embarkation services," who would have more information for me, as they "may be moving up the shuttle departure time or changing to tr..." and then he stopped himself and directed me to Embarkation Services. On the whole, it sounded very much like a "I don't know but I've been told to make happy noises and pass you off to another group of people" type of reply. :mad:

He did not transfer me, but gave me a number of (UK) 080087190466. Which doesn't seem to work. Hmm.

At this point, I'm still glad I sprung for the backup rail passes.

Point 1--At times of crisis, DCL employees openly LIE to guests. I'll spare you my story, but the bottom line was that on a Friday DCL CMs were telling me that my cruise would depart from Port Canaveral as scheduled on Saturday while at that same time the Magic had come into PC a day early (Friday morning) to disembark guests and head out to sea open before a hurricane hit...and the Orlando news was showing film of Port Canaveral closed.

DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY TELL YOU. It will all be changed. They read you a "party line" script that they have been told to tell guests.

Point 2--the number posted above is not a valid UK phone number.

We purchased transfer tickets to your station to Dover. We are planning to take the 734 train ride to Dover and arrives at 9:30.there seems to be in improvement on the traffic but we are still not taking any chances staying ing on the road. The best bet is to take the train and use the taxicab the transfer to the port.

Thank you for all the responses and help! We will let you know once we get to the port.

I certainly hope that others are aware of the problem occurring in Dover. The only way I found out about the problem was when our taxi driver told us about it. Our concierge in our hotel was not aware of it at all. It was a good thing that Our driver was talkative.

We purchased transfer tickets to your station to Dover. We are planning to take the 734 train ride to Dover and arrives at 9:30.there seems to be in improvement on the traffic but we are still not taking any chances staying ing on the road. The best bet is to take the train and use the taxicab the transfer to the port.

Thank you for all the responses and help! We will let you know once we get to the port.

I certainly hope that others are aware of the problem occurring in Dover. The only way I found out about the problem was when our taxi driver told us about it. Our concierge in our hotel was not aware of it at all. It was a good thing that Our driver was talkative.

Sorry about the grammar as I am using the text-speech recognition with the iPad. Not easy to type on the iPad.

This is DCL response to the Diver situation.

Dear

Thank you for contacting Disney Cruise Line.

I would be happy to assist you.

Please allow me to share. We are aware of the current traffic delays in

Dover and are monitoring the situation closely.

In addition, we are hopeful that the back-up will clear soon. We would

recommend that you continue to monitor media reports and plan

accordingly.

At this time, no change has been made to the ship's scheduled departure

time from Dover.

If you find that you are experiencing travel delays on the day of

arrival, please contact our Embarkation Guest Services Team at

00-800-8719-0466.

Edited by ivrier

Point 1--At times of crisis' date=' DCL employees openly LIE to guests. I'll spare you my story, but the bottom line was that on a Friday DCL CMs were telling me that my cruise would depart from Port Canaveral as scheduled on Saturday while at that same time the Magic had come into PC a day early (Friday morning) to disembark guests and head out to sea open before a hurricane hit...and the Orlando news was showing film of Port Canaveral closed.

DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY TELL YOU. It will all be changed. They read you a "party line" script that they have been told to tell guests.

Point 2--the number posted above is not a valid UK phone number.[/quote']

Point 1: Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured, which is why I went ahead and bought train tix. I understand the impulse to maintain a positive party line, but it's always better to just tell the truth and deal with the situation. What was the benefit of telling you that all was well in that situation? Just bad form and bad business.

Point 2: Agreed. Oddly I called back and they confirmed that number. Not sure what the significance of that is. This time she transferred me to Embarkation Services directly, so it didn't really matter.

Embarkation Services told me that her managers had driven the route from London to Dover today and it took just over 3 hours, where it is normally a 2-2.5hr drive. Accordingly, they are making no changes to the bus transportation. Also, the transfer tickets are non-refundable, which wasn't too surprising.

There was an update from the Dover authority. 300 minute waits has now been reduced to only 30 minutes at Dover. It seems like the six additional British authority immigration officers made a huge difference in helping the French. It seems like everyone into Dover will make it to the cruise.

To my knowledge purchasing transfer tickets through Disney from their own buses guarantees entry to the ship no matter how late one gets.

Edited by ivrier

Point 1: Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured, which is why I went ahead and bought train tix. I understand the impulse to maintain a positive party line, but it's always better to just tell the truth and deal with the situation. What was the benefit of telling you that all was well in that situation? Just bad form and bad business.

Point 2: Agreed. Oddly I called back and they confirmed that number. Not sure what the significance of that is. This time she transferred me to Embarkation Services directly, so it didn't really matter.

Embarkation Services told me that her managers had driven the route from London to Dover today and it took just over 3 hours, where it is normally a 2-2.5hr drive. Accordingly, they are making no changes to the bus transportation. Also, the transfer tickets are non-refundable, which wasn't too surprising.

Re the number you need to do the double zero at the front I think - that makes it an international freephone Number.

More long delays expected today. Hope you all managed to get there ok and that departure is not delayed too long.

It appears that the Magic left Dover a little after 5:00. Not sure what the scheduled time was, but that's pretty close to most of her departure times on embarkation day.

Edited by Shmoo here