Stories about surprising someone going on a cruise

Freespir8

Those are some great stories. I cruise with my sister once a year and I do all of the planning and she just gives the money. It's a pretty nice deal because I love the planning part and she could care less. As we start getting closer to the cruise she call me and say "where are we going again?" This next year our 3rd sister will come with us for the first time. She is a mixture of my other sister and me. I am the baby too and she is the oldest. She wants to ask questions and be part of the decision making and a part of me just thinks "why are you asking all of these questions" and then I remember she is just like me. :)

I think I need to start figuring out how to surprise both of them.

Thanks for taking the time to share!

Edited by annietownsend

Those are some great stories. I cruise with my sister once a year and I do all of the planning and she just gives the money. It's a pretty nice deal because I love the planning part and she could care less. As we start getting closer to the cruise she call me and say "where are we going again?" This next year our 3rd sister will come with us for the first time. She is a mixture of my other sister and me. I am the baby too and she is the oldest. She wants to ask questions and be part of the decision making and a part of me just thinks "why are you asking all of these questions" and then I remember she is just like me. :)

I think I need to start figuring out how to surprise both of them.

Thanks for taking the time to share!

Just fudge a little when telling your sister about accommodations or excursions that you want to be a surprise. Keep it as close to the truth as you can otherwise you might confuse yourself. At least I'd confuse myself lol. Oh, and make sure you're the one in charge of the financial aspects [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cruzncutie

man, Im jealous of these stories :)

My DH just busted my surprise for him yesterday.

Our Pearl cruise, I had originally booked an inside guarantee, because it was all I could convince him into (<$1k)

then we cancelled, because our oldest moved in with us. Then she moved out, and we rebooked - a guarantee OV. A few days later, NCL changed the promos so that guarantee cabins dont get any promos. Well, that upset me, so I I looked, and prices had dropped, so I upgraded us to a forward Penthouse. Im trolling the website now, as an upgrade to a courtyard villa would only be about $1200 more, which is a darn good price, AND would get us in the Haven instead of just in a suite.

*sigh*

Anyway, yesterday he just came out and asked: "So are we still in an inside for our September cruise?" >.< I wish I could've lied, but I suck at lying.

Edited by Starflyr3

Last summer I went on a cruise on the Getaway with my then girlfriend and her family. She didn't know it but I was going to propose to her on the cruise. She had been dropping hints, asking "when are you going to propose already?", and even asked me if I was going to propose to her on our cruise. I told her I have absolutely no money for a ring, especially after booking our upcoming cruise... And told her to get the idea of me proposing to her on the cruise out of her head because she's going to be very disappointed. I pretended to be stressed and angry about it, told it it can't happen until next year.... Little did she know I already had the ring hidden in my apartment.

We went on the cruise and I spoke to the assistant cruise director and asked him for help on a creative way to propose to her in front of everyone... He came up with the idea to play the perfect couple game show in the atrium, and after the series of challenges that we all have to do he'll make up a fake challenge, blindfold my girlfriend, and let me pop the question.

The game show was the 6th day of our cruise so at this point any sliver of hope she had that I was going to propose to her despite what I said was gone, she was resigned to the fact that it just wasn't going to happen any time soon.... So the night of the game show we grab a ticket for the drawing for a chance to play the game show, I tell her that there's no way we're going to get picked since there's so many people lined up to play, and sit down... Our number gets called, I act surprised, and we go up and play and have an amazing time... Although I was freaking out because I had her ring hidden in a box inside my sock.. And one of the challenges required her to take a lemon and shove it up one pant leg, slide it up my leg, across my crotch, and back down the other leg.... I thought for sure she was going to feel the ring box and it would be all over... But I quickly thought of a plan and made her go up the other leg hoping that gravity would make the lemon fall down the leg with the ring hidden in it so she wouldn't have to touch it...

The plan worked and she never felt the ring! So we get to the last challenge, they call us up and blindfold Samantha. They started to play "Beautiful in my eyes" by Joshua Kadison, popped up a graphic on the video wall "Samantha, will you marry me?", and removed her blindfold. The look of shock and surprise on her face was priceless, she was so ecstatic and crying uncontrollably.. She didn't see this coming at all and was overwhelmed, and the audience LOVED it! Everyone went crazy, standing ovation... it was such an amazing moment... I'm so grateful NCL helped me with it (thanks Omar!!) and gave us something to remember.

We're actually getting married in a few weeks on the Escape in the atrium, kind of an homage to the proposal on the Getaway.

-Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Annie!

You may not remember me from the Star cruise two years ago with my DH, DSD, and myself. This story is recent and my DH gets to be best person for surprising my DBIL. They are on the Dawn right now and by all accounts having a great vacation. They disembark on Friday.

My DSIL passed away recently after a long illness and my DBIL was having a really hard time. My DH asked me how I would feel if he took his brother on a cruise back home to Bermuda. I said what a great idea and so the surprise began. My DBIL is 78 and the last time he went to Bermuda was with us years back in 2009. DH had to tell him about the cruise because he needed his Passport etc. In the meanwhile he booked an oceanview and got to take advantage of two overlapping perks running on NCL. My DH said the OV cabin was fine for the two of them. In the meanwhile he told my DBIL it was an inside cabin below the waterline. Since my DBIL worked on a cruise ship back in the day when they wore those little caps and things he knew the type of cabin. There was many jokes between the two of them about rowing the ship. He was just happy to see Bermuda again. As time got closer I started bugging my DH to call the upsell desk. He decided to call and yippee he got a family suite (same as you and your sister had on the Star). I don't know how he kept the secret without telling his brother because he was so excited.

The best part is when they checked in poor guy did not realize he was staying in a suite and thought they enjoyed the pre-cruise suite room because the DH sailed on NCL a few times. The happiest moment was when Al sent the video of his brother going into the suite. He called me and I asked my DBIL what he thought and he said words could not come out.

This was the best surprise ever for a wonderful person and my favorite BIL. Al is indeed a good brother to take his brooher on this cruise and back home to Bermuda for both of them.

By the way I still have your map! LOL

Edited by Linda the Book Lover
spelling

man, Im jealous of these stories :)

My DH just busted my surprise for him yesterday.

Our Pearl cruise, I had originally booked an inside guarantee, because it was all I could convince him into (<$1k)

then we cancelled, because our oldest moved in with us. Then she moved out, and we rebooked - a guarantee OV. A few days later, NCL changed the promos so that guarantee cabins dont get any promos. Well, that upset me, so I I looked, and prices had dropped, so I upgraded us to a forward Penthouse. Im trolling the website now, as an upgrade to a courtyard villa would only be about $1200 more, which is a darn good price, AND would get us in the Haven instead of just in a suite.

*sigh*

Anyway, yesterday he just came out and asked: "So are we still in an inside for our September cruise?" >.< I wish I could've lied, but I suck at lying.

Lol...I don't blame you, I would have been too excited to hold it too. Personally when we were on the Jewel ( sister ship to The Pearl) we were in a regular Suite and because of the size of the ship the Haven wasn't really necessary. We were invited to the VIP party in the Haven and it was nice to see but I'm not sure I would be willing to spend $1,200 more on that size of a ship. The only difference with the Haven on that class is having access to the private Courtyard / pool area. It's pretty small. If it were on one of the megaships, definitely it would be worth it. Just a thought to help you enjoy the suite you are already in :)

Lol...I don't blame you, I would have been too excited to hold it too. Personally when we were on the Jewel ( sister ship to The Pearl) we were in a regular Suite and because of the size of the ship the Haven wasn't really necessary. We were invited to the VIP party in the Haven and it was nice to see but I'm not sure I would be willing to spend $1,200 more on that size of a ship. The only difference with the Haven on that class is having access to the private Courtyard / pool area. It's pretty small. If it were on one of the megaships, definitely it would be worth it. Just a thought to help you enjoy the suite you are already in :)

Oh, I know, we were in the Jade Haven in March. I really like the courtyard and the sun deck in the Haven. I do have spa passes booked, though, and we have no kids coming this time, so hopefully that will give the same feel!

Last summer I went on a cruise on the Getaway with my then girlfriend and her family. She didn't know it but I was going to propose to her on the cruise. She had been dropping hints, asking "when are you going to propose already?", and even asked me if I was going to propose to her on our cruise. I told her I have absolutely no money for a ring, especially after booking our upcoming cruise... And told her to get the idea of me proposing to her on the cruise out of her head because she's going to be very disappointed. I pretended to be stressed and angry about it, told it it can't happen until next year.... Little did she know I already had the ring hidden in my apartment.

We went on the cruise and I spoke to the assistant cruise director and asked him for help on a creative way to propose to her in front of everyone... He came up with the idea to play the perfect couple game show in the atrium, and after the series of challenges that we all have to do he'll make up a fake challenge, blindfold my girlfriend, and let me pop the question.

The game show was the 6th day of our cruise so at this point any sliver of hope she had that I was going to propose to her despite what I said was gone, she was resigned to the fact that it just wasn't going to happen any time soon.... So the night of the game show we grab a ticket for the drawing for a chance to play the game show, I tell her that there's no way we're going to get picked since there's so many people lined up to play, and sit down... Our number gets called, I act surprised, and we go up and play and have an amazing time... Although I was freaking out because I had her ring hidden in a box inside my sock.. And one of the challenges required her to take a lemon and shove it up one pant leg, slide it up my leg, across my crotch, and back down the other leg.... I thought for sure she was going to feel the ring box and it would be all over... But I quickly thought of a plan and made her go up the other leg hoping that gravity would make the lemon fall down the leg with the ring hidden in it so she wouldn't have to touch it...

The plan worked and she never felt the ring! So we get to the last challenge, they call us up and blindfold Samantha. They started to play "Beautiful in my eyes" by Joshua Kadison, popped up a graphic on the video wall "Samantha, will you marry me?", and removed her blindfold. The look of shock and surprise on her face was priceless, she was so ecstatic and crying uncontrollably.. She didn't see this coming at all and was overwhelmed, and the audience LOVED it! Everyone went crazy, standing ovation... it was such an amazing moment... I'm so grateful NCL helped me with it (thanks Omar!!) and gave us something to remember.

We're actually getting married in a few weeks on the Escape in the atrium, kind of an homage to the proposal on the Getaway.

-Keith

Well done!! Talk about a memory to last forever. Did you get to watch it replay on the TV too? :cool:

Hi Annie!

You may not remember me from the Star cruise two years ago with my DH, DSD, and myself. This story is recent and my DH gets to be best person for surprising my DBIL. They are on the Dawn right now and by all accounts having a great vacation. They disembark on Friday.

My DSIL passed away recently after a long illness and my DBIL was having a really hard time. My DH asked me how I would feel if he took his brother on a cruise back home to Bermuda. I said what a great idea and so the surprise began. My DBIL is 78 and the last time he went to Bermuda was with us years back in 2009. DH had to tell him about the cruise because he needed his Passport etc. In the meanwhile he booked an oceanview and got to take advantage of two overlapping perks running on NCL. My DH said the OV cabin was fine for the two of them. In the meanwhile he told my DBIL it was an inside cabin below the waterline. Since my DBIL worked on a cruise ship back in the day when they wore those little caps and things he knew the type of cabin. There was many jokes between the two of them about rowing the ship. He was just happy to see Bermuda again. As time got closer I started bugging my DH to call the upsell desk. He decided to call and yippee he got a family suite (same as you and your sister had on the Star). I don't know how he kept the secret without telling his brother because he was so excited.

The best part is when they checked in poor guy did not realize he was staying in a suite and thought they enjoyed the pre-cruise suite room because the DH sailed on NCL a few times. The happiest moment was when Al sent the video of his brother going into the suite. He called me and I asked my DBIL what he thought and he said words could not come out.

This was the best surprise ever for a wonderful person and my favorite BIL. Al is indeed a good brother to take his brooher on this cruise and back home to Bermuda for both of them.

By the way I still have your map! LOL

Linda!!! Of course I remember you...you are unforgettable...plus you graciously took my program material that I didn't want when we hit cabo. :p

That is such a nice thing to do for your DBIL. I know it's hard for my husband when I go with my sister and he has to stay home. Your willingness to tell your DH to do it is so sweet.

Next year we get to have our oldest sister join us. First time for her to join our annual cruise tradition. We are excited to have all of us together..nothing better than sisters. :)

I hope to run into you again soon. I always enjoy reading your posts with the thought that I know you.

Well done!! Talk about a memory to last forever. Did you get to watch it replay on the TV too? :cool:

You know, I don't think they played it on the tv! We looked for it but didn't see it. We did upload a copy of it to YouTube if interested at

-Keith

You know, I don't think they played it on the tv! We looked for it but didn't see it. We did upload a copy of it to YouTube if interested at

-Keith

Thanks for sharing that! It made me cry too! There is something so incredibly touching about watching a moment like that...especially knowing the back story. That was pretty cool that you got it all on video.

I've done a few types.

Last year, I surprised to family with the gift of a cruise for parents' 50th. I had fancy invitations made up and mailed them to my parents and sister. Basically, they received a wedding invitation in the mail inviting them to the cruise complete with RSVP cards and all. My parents loved it!

A few years ago, I surprised my parents by joining them on their BA cruise. I knew they were going to go to O'Sheehans for drinks/lunch upon arrival. And there I was at the bar waiting for them!

In terms of gifts for people cruising, I've been less creative because you are limited to what you can order but have done wine, speciality restaurant, Cirque, spa pass.

My best friend and his brothers gave their parents a cruise for their 50th. They told them to go up on the pool deck after the muster drill because they would be watching the webcam from their offices at work. After a phone call with many requests to "step back, more left, no to the right" for a camera that doesn't exist, his poor dad almost fell into the pool when alll of their kids, grandkids and me jumped out to greet them. Many happy tears from both of them and a great cruise on the Spirit out of NYC.

In March of 1994 I got my wife really good. I booked a surprise cruise leaving from Miami for 4 days leaving on a Monday. I got her the time off work with her boss. I arranged for our 1 year old son to stay with my parents. I bought her some new clothes and even had to sneak some of her other clothes into a suitcase(she was going crazy for 2 weeks thinking that she lost some clothes).

I woke her up at 4:30 and told her that we going on a trip and everything is packed. She said stop fooling around with me. I got her in the car and drove to the airport for our 7am flight. I would not show her the tickets and told her to just relax until we got there. We live in NY and a lot of our connecting flights went to North Carolina. Every time the captain would say when we were landing in NC I would talk over him so she could not here. We were about to land and she heard North ........ She said "where are landing?". I though quick and said North Dakota and look at the mild winter they were having with no snow. Anyway a quick plane change and we were off again. We were landing in Miami and she saw the palm trees, I said we are here in Los Angeles, not knowing if there are actually palm trees there. It took a lot of "skill" to keep talking over and diverting her from really knowing where we were.

In a taxi and to the port we go. She sees the ship and says are we going on a cruise? Yes I said just like the love boat used to do from California. She never knew where we were until dinner that evening. She was just caught up in the moment or moments. I was so proud of myself for pulling this off. She is very smart and not very easy to fool.

She was also very impressed with her wardrobe.

It was alot of fun.