Muster Drill change?

Nobody is saying the latter, but if I go early or wait for the horns depends on the muster location.
Actually someone did...

But they don't sound the horn until every one is in place and checked in! At least not on any cruise I have ever been on. They start announcements 30 minutes and then 15 minutes out. Hell the crew is practically herding you out of their spaces and to your muster station. It just makes no bloody sense to me to do it your way.

Thanks Aubrey. Was that sarcasm....bahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will have a good time here, reading threads like these ;)

But there is mostly great people here with good advice

this muster drill thread is very interesting, i have never heard of a lot of these "interpretations" of what is supposed to be done - I will take extra care listening to the announcement on my next cruise

And I always thought they didn't sound the horn until most, if not all, people were checked in? i could be wrong tho - I feel like every cruise ship/cruiseline I go on, does the Muster Drill a little differently.

So if everyone on the ship showed up an hour before the muster drill, they would start the presentation early?:confused:

Foolish question. But just in case you are truly confused, the presentation will start on time or later depending on when "enough" people show up at the muster stations. I encourage you and you alone show up one hour early as punishment for the question. :D

Honestly, I have never even thought about it. In the older days, I would walk to the cabin, get the life vest, and walk to muster. Now, I just get up and go where I'm suppose to go when they make the announcement. Kind of hard to take attendance and make sure everyone is accounted for, if everyone tries to arrive at exactly the same time, when the horn blows. It's bad enough waiting for those that think Muster is a joke, and than to add another long line to check in?

It's bad enough waiting for those that think Muster is a joke

I don't think muster is a joke. I think the way they currently do it is a joke. The last three times, I couldn't hear or see anything. The criteria SOLAS has in place for muster drills is terrible outdated for current vessels with 4,000 or more people on it. It's done because "that's what they've always done". Which is a terrible reason to do something. The cruise industry would be well suited to be more pro-active and work collectively to improve the process.

On all of my previous cruises plus all future cruises, I will ALWAYS arrive before muster drill horn blows. Two of the cruises I stood in line (hate that!) and two were indoors. Every time, it was a wise move on my part, to claim a spot in the shade or a seat indoors at the muster station. :)

You will have a good time here, reading threads like these ;)

But there is mostly great people here with good advice

this muster drill thread is very interesting, i have never heard of a lot of these "interpretations" of what is supposed to be done - I will take extra care listening to the announcement on my next cruise

And I always thought they didn't sound the horn until most, if not all, people were checked in? i could be wrong tho - I feel like every cruise ship/cruiseline I go on, does the Muster Drill a little differently.

From my experience the horn is sounded at the time of the muster drill. So if the muster drill is scheduled for 4:30 pm that is the time the horns will sound. Has nothing to do with whether everyone is checked in or not.

From my experience the horn is sounded at the time of the muster drill. So if the muster drill is scheduled for 4:30 pm that is the time the horns will sound. Has nothing to do with whether everyone is checked in or not.

I am sure that they have to have a certain percentage of the passengers checked in before beginning. I have had muster drills start later than posted before, and I assumed this was why, but obviously I don't know WHY they started late for positive. I just have never really paid that much attention to what the announcement actually says. I also have had some friends who missed the first muster drill on Day 1 and had to do a make up drill the next day.

Muster drills, the worst part of a 7 day cruise :cool: I can live with that

I just have never really paid that much attention to what the announcement actually says.

Muster drills, the worst part of a 7 day cruise :cool: I can live with that

You should pay attention. It may be the most boring part, but it may save your life one day :-)

Whenever I board a ship I familiarize with where our stateroom is located and roughly how far the closest stairwells and exit to nearest open deck is. Whenever disaster happens I might not have time to study the deckplan or even have light to do so. I hope I never will need this information.

You should pay attention. It may be the most boring part, but it may save your life one day :-)

Whenever I board a ship I familiarize with where our stateroom is located and roughly how far the closest stairwells and exit to nearest open deck is. Whenever disaster happens I might not have time to study the deckplan or even have light to do so. I hope I never will need this information.

I don't listen super closely to the announcement that says "Muster drill starts in 15 minutes, go when the horn blasts" I normally just here "Muster drill starts in 15 minutes" and then look at my room card and start to head there. I don't listen t othe exact phrasing of the announcement. Plus, it's very difficult to hear exactly what is being said on those pre muster announcements anyhow.

I don't listen super closely to the announcement that says "Muster drill starts in 15 minutes, go when the horn blasts" I normally just here "Muster drill starts in 15 minutes" and then look at my room card and start to head there. I don't listen t othe exact phrasing of the announcement. Plus, it's very difficult to hear exactly what is being said on those pre muster announcements anyhow.

Ah, sorry, my mistake, I though you didn't pay attation to any of it. :-)