furious w/ RCCL...and cozumel....

mpffls

I personally think this thread has gone on far too long.

So you posted and continued it on. Apparently, you lie and think it has not gone far enough.

:D

j/k... great thread. I wish more people would spill their guts and air all of their laundry in public forums. So much fun!

The biggest reason the OP got flamed so hard is because of all the side-info included that had nothing to do with the original point. I think we even know what kind of car her daughter drives. On the other hand, that's what made it a great read.

I'd cruise with ya', Trish... no hard feelings.

I read all of the OP's problems with the intent to which they were meant. yes, she had many complaints, but I think most were legitimate. I think many of the readers and posters just are mean spirited and/or have never had customer service problems! I, personally think the entire industry (not just cruise lines) have really gotten crummy. Just think of all those buttons you have to push in response to automated voice/phone machines when you're trying to solve a billing issue or something else, like your cable tv problem. Unfortunately, there isn't a message board that I'm aware of for all those problems. As the lady states, this is a cruise board for the good, bad and the ugly! This happened to be the ugly and you all took her to task at every avenue possible. Sometimes it's great to be able to relieve yourself of these frustrating burdens and I think this is a great place to show people of the poor service she received from RCCL. With regard to the more recent stuff, if RCCL doesn't feel that a photographer and music are reasonable requests, then they shouldn't allow weddings onboard!! And, as for possible ports after a hurricane, they should have responded that while it's too early to know for sure, but Cozumel itself is a possibility, but if that doesn't work out, then they should have told her of 2 or 3 other possibilities, which I'm SURE is what they themselves look into. I understand that maybe Costa Maya is their first choice, but if there's too many ships there that day, then their next choice would be a sea day or ....well, you get my drift. Obviously, it would be important for them to stress that these are possibilities nothing is set in stone, until it's set. Sometimes that may not be until the cruise itself, which is when we found out we'd assuredly be going to Cozumel, 3 weeks after it was decimated!

Come on, bash me now.

Come on, bash me now.

LOL... you live up to your namesake. :D

I read the thread from the point of view of someone who got married on Cozumel last March. I'm surprised my DW didn't have a breakdown planning the lodging and airfare for 30+ people on top of the wedding and reception plans.

It could have easily overwhelmed us and spiraled out of control, but we both realized how much was actually out of our hands and we'd better roll with it and make the best of whatever happened. Even the best laid plans go awry, so buck-up, you're responsible for your own happiness.

My original problem with the OP was the doomsday attitude from the very beginning. I was actually surprised at how positive her account was at the end. Apparently the biggest problems were the dining room seating and the alcohol/musicians at the ceremony. Big surprise there. Those are the number one problems and complaints of ALL brides and wedding planners.

They got married + A good time = Success

... and everyone lived happily ever after.

THE END

I would love to see RCCL try to go from Galvaston to either Tampa or Key West or both. They HAVE to hit a foreign port to satisfy the Jones Act. So your closest option would be the Bahamas. The people you talked to did not have a clue what they were talking about...you need to ask to speak with operations.

You have a gripe - you need to go to the top. I would be furious too - but to be screwed around on the phone with these lame (illegal ) options is just an insult!

I would love to see RCCL try to go from Galvaston to either Tampa or Key West or both. They HAVE to hit a foreign port to satisfy the Jones Act. So your closest option would be the Bahamas. The people you talked to did not have a clue what they were talking about...you need to ask to speak with operations.

You have a gripe - you need to go to the top. I would be furious too - but to be screwed around on the phone with these lame (illegal ) options is just an insult!

:D Welcome to 3 months ago! Your suggestion is duly noted.

So, what purpose would that serve? You can't make plans if there might be a possibility that they might stop at an island.

Since the purpose is to satisfy the customer and the customer is wondering so they can make plans or do research, in my opinion it would serve the purpose. In other words, if RCCL told me that we might go to Costa Maya, Honduras or Jamaica, then I could look up in CC and see what beaches at each of these places I might want to go to or which excursions at each of these places I might like to try and then when I found out which location it was going to be, especially if it's late, like finding out when already on the ship, then I would be able to make a quick and easy decision! I disagree, you CAN make plans and do the research ahead of time. In the case of a wedding, no you wouldn't be able to plan on which beach you're going to be married, but in many cases, knowing ahead of time the possibilities makes for less stress, if you're that type of individual!

Well, she's the one that tried to call a place in Miami, while a major hurricane was hitting Miami, and wondered why she couldn't get a real answer from them. And then came and posted this thread called "Furious" because they couldn't tell her exactly where they were going. And Bahamas wouldn't have been an option from Galveston either, not on a 5-night cruise.

Although you may not care...

I can attest to the poor quality of RCI customer service. Not just for me but for 4 couples. We went through customer service hell for weeks and took our Rita replacement cruise finally in December.

My parents and sister are still in customer service hell with RCI. They have paid for their 2nd cruise themselves and are still fighting with RCI to get the original refund promised 4 weeks after the October 24 Enchantment cruise. Their new cruise leaves in a couple of weeks.

Everyone has spent hours on the phone and gotten a dozen different stories.

I think they've gotten really big and don't properly train their reps. It's quantity-not quality. This isn't rocket science either. We didn't call them for a few weeks after the hurricane because we didn't want to overwhelm them either. This is pretty basic stuff.

My parents have been on 11 other cruises. They have been on several other cruise lines, but never RCI. My Mom was really looking forward to going on RCI because she had always heard such good things about them. She is now really bummed because they have gotten such poor customer service and had such high expectations before.

Since the purpose is to satisfy the customer and the customer is wondering so they can make plans or do research, in my opinion it would serve the purpose. In other words, if RCCL told me that we might go to Costa Maya, Honduras or Jamaica, then I could look up in CC and see what beaches at each of these places I might want to go to or which excursions at each of these places I might like to try and then when I found out which location it was going to be, especially if it's late, like finding out when already on the ship, then I would be able to make a quick and easy decision! I disagree, you CAN make plans and do the research ahead of time. In the case of a wedding, no you wouldn't be able to plan on which beach you're going to be married, but in many cases, knowing ahead of time the possibilities makes for less stress, if you're that type of individual!

Sounds just like a cat chasing its tail.

The only problem I had with the OP is she wanted answers that just weren't there. The impatience of it all was flabbergasting to me. I often wondered why I read the thread, except for the amazement of the comments and it did sometimes get humorous. It also made me miss my mother and dear MIL, they never would have put me through all that.

Of course, I like the path of least resistance. If I had planned that wedding and it didn't look like it was going to happen my way, I would have cancelled it, gotten married in the courthouse before leaving and treated the whole thing as one big party. I hate hassles and still would have been just as married.

Sounds just like a cat chasing its tail.

The only problem I had with the OP is she wanted answers that just weren't there. The impatience of it all was flabbergasting to me. I often wondered why I read the thread, except for the amazement of the comments and it did sometimes get humorous. It also made me miss my mother and dear MIL, they never would have put me through all that.

Of course, I like the path of least resistance. If I had planned that wedding and it didn't look like it was going to happen my way, I would have cancelled it, gotten married in the courthouse before leaving and treated the whole thing as one big party. I hate hassles and still would have been just as married.

Kathy - you are correct (imho) -- however, the couple evidently did get married for real before the cruise - the cruise was the "show" (for lack of a better way to describe it) and the OP (Mom) wanted what she wanted and wasn't going to (imho) accept that there some "bumps in the road."

I know that some of my posts were a bit rude, but I tend to be a bit short fused, as the OP appears to be. I've learned that customer service is certainly not what it used to be "back in the day." But, one thing is for certain, it's all in the tone of voice and the words you use. Based on the OPs tone here (which may not be to someone else what it was to me), if I were the CS rep, I don't know if I would have been butt-kissy nice to her. She even said in one of her posts that she was in it for herself and wasn't concerned with the issues going on around her (Hurricane). Here's the exact quote:

So.....now that I see things more clearly....and as I said for many of you... this will probably send you over the edge...I will do it for you....yes...I am selfish....materalistic....I am a "control hound"....that always goes over the edge....and while I am very sorry for their devistation in cozumel....and their loss of bussiness....while I think it is horrible tradgidy, just like the sunami...Katrina....rita....and who knows what greek lady will bring as we have 5 weeks left.....this is not about them....it is about my daughters wedding.....and all of the planning for it

I think everyone here understands or accepts the fact that a wedding is special, regardless of the fact that they were already legally married. Mom wanted something nice for daughter, but her presentation to CC when she posted was, imho, posted in a fit of anger and frustration and un-clear thinking. Therefore, she came across as a very scary controlling person.

Whatever the case may be, I reiterate something I said in an earlier post -- I hope the couple is happy and they are enjoying their marriage together. Hopefully Mom is chillin' now.

• 3 weeks later...

In any business, some percentage of the disgruntled customers are simply NOT worth the trouble.

And experience tells me that MOST of the severely obnoxious, over-demanding and rude customers in a business are not the genuine top-of-the-line profit centers ... they simply believe they are.

Archived