furious w/ RCCL...and cozumel....

mpffls

someone suggested I post another thread about the wedding....and I did...and someone on that thread directed me to a thread just for weddings.....welll...that certainly made me feel better....like I needed to read MORE horror stories about....."How Royal Romance (rccl's wedding dept) ruined my wedding"....there are pages of them.....

:mad: You're welcome.

This is just rude and inappropriate.... we were trying to help you by this, not upset you.....thought you might get support from people who were going through a wedding also. Like they always say, no good deed goes unpunished.

By the way, I'm getting married in April, and if my mother ever acted this insane about my wedding, I would elope.

:mad: You're welcome.

This is just rude and inappropriate.... we were trying to help you by this, not upset you.....thought you might get support from people who were going through a wedding also. Like they always say, no good deed goes unpunished.

By the way, I'm getting married in April, and if my mother ever acted this insane about my wedding, I would elope.

I am sorry, but you made me laugh with yout post especially the part about eloping, I know we are all thinking it but I was feeling bad to say it out loud.

Trish,

I am glad that I could help you out with a suggestion. I am trying to pick my brain as to what the barrier is between the end of the deck and the sea itself. I am thinking that it is the same structure and railing that you have around all of the ships. If you were going to put up lights you would need for them to be battery operated and use some type of tape to hold them on the railing.

One more thought if you are driving and luggage isn't a problem. Could you just have RCCL set up your open bar on the sports deck after the wedding and you bring some type of CD player and your own and CD's for music. The sports deck would be a wonderful dance floor. How many people are going to be at the wedding?

Now that you have a place to have it maybe people will HELP giving you suggestions instead of telling you how you should feel.

Let me know if I can help with any questions about the ship. I am sure that others have sailed on the Splendour more than my one time.

looking at the date of your wedding cruise indicates you will have to elope as you have overslept by a few months. perhaps if your mother had been allowed to help a little you wouldn't have missed it.

john

You do have my sympathy....and our best thoughts for a resolution. In honesty, I have never found the cruise lines to be informative or truthful in their itinerary changes....often not being told until well underway at sea. We did just return last week from the Navigator of the Seas...and while Cozumel was just torn apart by Wilma....so we did not go there, nor could we go to Grand Cayman because of water conditions.....we were instead taken to an already flooded Montego Bay....and it rained the whole day we were in port, so the flooding just got worse while we were there. WHAT SENSE DID THAT MAKE?

Good luck!

What an upsetting ordeal for everyone. I totally feel for your plight and really understand your need to vent over the frustration yu are going through. Nothing is more frustrating then trying to get some kind of direction and only receiving a run around and getting no where.

On another note though, I am sure that those customer service girls you spoke with were far more frustrated then you. Even though you believe their answers to "Cozumel's Condition" sounded as if they were imcompetant, I am sure that is the farthest thing from it. They were probably INSTRUCTED from their peers to downplay the damage to those that call at that time for fear the truth at that time could cause them a "sea" of cancellations. So it was probably just as frustrating for them to know that what they were telling you made them look like real idiots.

On a better note though, I thought I read somewhere, and I am sorry I can't remember where I read it...that RC would have ships going back into Cozumel by November 14th. The article didnt say which ships though. I hope it works out for you all and by now you have some good answers to your dilema. If not, I would definetly go with having a beautful ceremony before the cruise and have the cruise as the "reception/honeymoon". That would be like having a reception that last 4 days rather then just a few hours. How sweet is that. Even getting married on the ship would be great. I am sure RC would do everything in their power to ensure a beautfiul ceremony just as grand as any chapel or church would. Probably even better with all you have invested already. I have been on ships where there were weddings and they had a beautful reception in one of the dining rooms. They close a part of the dining room area from the public and it was decorated with beautful flowers and the tables were set magnificently. It was first class all the way. You never really knew you were on a cruise ship. After the dining part, one of the dancing/lounges was closed off to the public and the wedding reception was finsihed there for the rest of the night with live music and open bar until the wee morning hours. It was great. And just think, you can do this for 3 more days after this night. What a great wedding. That is the only trouble with weddings...you plan for so long for the event and use every nerve you have to get it perfect and poof, it is over in a matter of several hours. On the ship getting married, it will be like a 4 day reception. How great is that?

God bless you with whatever you choose to do. I am sure with that everything will work out for you and even though, you are going through so much frustration right now, just know that this will be some memory that you and your daughter will look back upon and laugh about on each and every one of her anniversaries. I hope everything works out great, for everyone. :)

trish

Hi Trish. I am going on same cruise (also from sa, too) and have gotten the same lack of info. from RCCL. Another site said Cozumel was opening for cruise ships on Nov 14th, but that sure doesn't seem to square with earlier damage reports..unless they plan for ships to use their shuttles. My last few cruises, there were 6-8 ships at Cozumel. If they all had to go somewhere else (and Cancun is out, too), I don't think any of the usual suspects could accomodate them. I note that Dream from Houston is just making it day at sea.

Good luck, see you there (I hope!) BS

looking at the date of your wedding cruise indicates you will have to elope as you have overslept by a few months. perhaps if your mother had been allowed to help a little you wouldn't have missed it.

john

Perhaps you should read the date again, it's 04/09/06, according to my calendar, that is 5 months from now.

Well the report is not good......

after realizing that the only constant was that we woud be on a ship....we decided to make the best of it....and by the way sindyj....I use the word "we".....because "we" are planning it....and trying to get a solution!

so....10 days ago the travel agent got back and jumped on to this.....

RCCL imediatly said we could have the viking lounge from 4:30 - 5:15... this was not acceptable...I need to let you know...we were not interested in this venue...

we asked for the sprts deck, colleen.....and were met w/ great resistance...the 1st being it was a sea day and all of the public places would be busy...hmm wonder why the viking lounge would not be busy..it was pointed out that this would be at night.....7 pm... and 1/2 of the ship would be at dinner....the next resistance came when they said it would probably rain....and then what would we do.....I was shocked that a back up place....like the dreaded conference room was out of the question....when the threat of rain did not sway us.... they resorted to just plain wrong info....."the sports deck it too small....and that is where the rock climbing wall is along with the mini golf course".....this was it....suposidly this came from 5 supervisors and the ship itself....I gave up...but not before I pointed out that the rock wall and the golf course were on deck 10....not deck 9 where the sports deck is ....behind the spa!

We asked for the card room....but were turned down...seems this is a public room and very busy.....so how many of you have seen all of the activity in that room....I have yet to see anyone in there....and again let me point out....1/2 the ship will be at dinner

RCCL seems to be sticking w/ the viking lounge for 45 minutes.... and no decorations....and I beleive they described it as a corded off section...

have I mentioned the cake...RCCL does not allow any out side food on board...therefore if we want a cake it will be and I quote... " a single layer sheet cake, with white frosting and no decorations".....sounds lovely!!!

so....we have decided to just have it in our suite....and we will decorate, and there will be flower arangements.........

and my daughter said this evening she will not have a day of her life that she does not tell someone about RCCL and thier lack of customer service...I think there will be many days she does not tell folks...at least I hope so...that she gets over this.....but certainly not in the begining....and I am sure everyone on the ship will know her story....she is really mad....and tomarrow she is going to give RCCL an earful....

for all of you who critsized me for "running this show"....this is the reason.. you see the bride graduated at the top of her class from a noted ivy leage school.....w/ a degree in hospitality management.....RCCL was way better off dealing with the mother of the bride....

do we blame RCCL for this situation.....no....but you would think that being as they are in the hospitality industry that there would be some effort to salvage what should be the most important day in your life....I think they put more effort into the planning of a bridge game....Optifire....I expected what you described to be offered....

when it all came down we asked for.... a venue, music, photographer, and chmpagne iced down.....that was it.......and for them that was too much

so...BS102...glad yu will be joining us.....we have a thread on the meet and mingle section....I need to be more active.....

and finally planocruiser3.....I did not find a new thread to vent....just thought that i could be of some help for the poster who was wondering how to have a destination wedding......we had a good plan....we just left out a back up plan.....

as usual.....thanx....and will keepyou posted

trish

I have one question. How can you be married while at sea? I thought you had to be married while at port on RCI.

Personally, I think the Viking Crown Lounge would be the best place on the ship to have the wedding. It has one of the best views of and from the entire ship.

You do have my sympathy....and our best thoughts for a resolution. In honesty, I have never found the cruise lines to be informative or truthful in their itinerary changes....often not being told until well underway at sea. We did just return last week from the Navigator of the Seas...and while Cozumel was just torn apart by Wilma....so we did not go there, nor could we go to Grand Cayman because of water conditions.....we were instead taken to an already flooded Montego Bay....and it rained the whole day we were in port, so the flooding just got worse while we were there. WHAT SENSE DID THAT MAKE?

Good luck!

The sense of was made by your company that chartered the ship 200 people had to get off of the ship and it was they need to get them to the nearest airport. Cayman was closed from a damaged peir not the weather.So the Navigator wasn't allowed in port that day.

mpffls,

You said the Majic Words, the Sports deck is a public place. What would prevent you from all just meeting there at the appointed time? There was a wedding on one of our days on the Brilliance in the Viking Crown Lounge. We actually walked in on the ceremony. Nothing was blocked off, so we entered and realized our mistake and quickly backed out.

The card room was booked for a Bridge tournament on the Brilliance. We tried to use it and was informed by a passenger that it was taken. Are they going to charge you for the Viking Crown lounge? You could always plan on the Sports Deck if the weather is pretty ( just show up) and use your cabin as a back up plan?

I admire your determination in trying to make the best of things. And appauld that you are taking a part in the planning of your daughters wedding. Is that any different than a wedding planner, except for maybe thousands of dollars?

I hope things turn out for you, one last thought there is a place on Deck 4 and 5 I think that have covered areas that you could have the wedding if it was raining. You would still have the Ocean behind you, but there are supports for the deck above. The sports deck doesn't have any obstructed views, just the ocean.

Well the report is not good......

after realizing that the only constant was that we woud be on a ship....we decided to make the best of it....and by the way sindyj....I use the word "we".....because "we" are planning it....and trying to get a solution!

so....10 days ago the travel agent got back and jumped on to this.....

RCCL imediatly said we could have the viking lounge from 4:30 - 5:15... this was not acceptable...I need to let you know...we were not interested in this venue...

we asked for the sprts deck, colleen.....and were met w/ great resistance...the 1st being it was a sea day and all of the public places would be busy...hmm wonder why the viking lounge would not be busy..it was pointed out that this would be at night.....7 pm... and 1/2 of the ship would be at dinner....the next resistance came when they said it would probably rain....and then what would we do.....I was shocked that a back up place....like the dreaded conference room was out of the question....when the threat of rain did not sway us.... they resorted to just plain wrong info....."the sports deck it too small....and that is where the rock climbing wall is along with the mini golf course".....this was it....suposidly this came from 5 supervisors and the ship itself....I gave up...but not before I pointed out that the rock wall and the golf course were on deck 10....not deck 9 where the sports deck is ....behind the spa!

We asked for the card room....but were turned down...seems this is a public room and very busy.....so how many of you have seen all of the activity in that room....I have yet to see anyone in there....and again let me point out....1/2 the ship will be at dinner

RCCL seems to be sticking w/ the viking lounge for 45 minutes.... and no decorations....and I beleive they described it as a corded off section...

have I mentioned the cake...RCCL does not allow any out side food on board...therefore if we want a cake it will be and I quote... " a single layer sheet cake, with white frosting and no decorations".....sounds lovely!!!

so....we have decided to just have it in our suite....and we will decorate, and there will be flower arangements.........

and my daughter said this evening she will not have a day of her life that she does not tell someone about RCCL and thier lack of customer service...I think there will be many days she does not tell folks...at least I hope so...that she gets over this.....but certainly not in the begining....and I am sure everyone on the ship will know her story....she is really mad....and tomarrow she is going to give RCCL an earful....

for all of you who critsized me for "running this show"....this is the reason.. you see the bride graduated at the top of her class from a noted ivy leage school.....w/ a degree in hospitality management.....RCCL was way better off dealing with the mother of the bride....

do we blame RCCL for this situation.....no....but you would think that being as they are in the hospitality industry that there would be some effort to salvage what should be the most important day in your life....I think they put more effort into the planning of a bridge game....Optifire....I expected what you described to be offered....

when it all came down we asked for.... a venue, music, photographer, and chmpagne iced down.....that was it.......and for them that was too much

so...BS102...glad yu will be joining us.....we have a thread on the meet and mingle section....I need to be more active.....

and finally planocruiser3.....I did not find a new thread to vent....just thought that i could be of some help for the poster who was wondering how to have a destination wedding......we had a good plan....we just left out a back up plan.....

as usual.....thanx....and will keepyou posted

trish

Trish,

even though you are planning it, it is still your daughter's wedding. :) I love my mother to death, but the only "we" involved in my wedding was my husband and myself. I have always believed that a wedding planner not related to the bride or groom should be the one handling the details, it is way too much stress on the parties directly involved. And to be honest, yes, it does seem as if you have taken over full control of the wedding from your posts, sorry, but if your daughter has the knowledge, maybe you SHOULD let her handle the dealings with Royal Caribbean, let her get all bridezilla on their a** :D

At this stage it seems as if you keep compromising and settling and it would not be a nice memory or feeling for the bride to be to know that she did not have the wedding she dreamed of.I know people say it is the marriage that matters and not the wedding but I get the feeling that this incident will cast a cloud over the cruise and the wedding.

Maybe you should look into an alternative to the cruise wedding and have the ceremony on land, then try to negotiate the reception onboard the ship.

If they got married in port on the 1st day, could they have all the things they want? I had decorations, music, photographer, cake and champagne. It was all part of my package. I paid extra for extra pictures, extra cake and extra champagne. The lounge we were in was closed off for my wedding. They shut the doors. Why couldn't your daughter have all of those things? I brought my own decorations as well. Are you dealing with Royal Romance or RCCL?

I meant to post this link. This webpage didn't exist when I got married.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/weddings/home.do;jsessionid=0000w-u9gzIvmtd4nzmvBXvZ-EF:10ktmf05t

Are the bride and groom already going to be married before the cruise? Could they do a vow renewal? Hope everything works out.

as was previously stated the legalities of this are not an issue.....it is simply simbolic....the ceremony in the true sence...

compromise.....you betcha at this point....and you are right....it has cast a shadow.....

for those of you that insisist upon pointing out and critisizing the fact that I have such an active part in the planning of my daughters wedding......

I can only express that in our "culture" (for lack of a better word) this is the way it is done and that is not, nor ever has been the issue here.....and might I also point out...up until this point the bride has not had an issue with anything that has been done....the fact that I am even acknologing your remarks show how this has taken its toll......

my daughtr spent 1.5 hrs on the phone this morning w/ RCCL and the only thing she came away with was complete frustration....

as for our final resolution of just hosting the event in our suite.....seems that is out of the question also....RCCL does not allow gatheings in the cabins.....catered.. "if you would like to order off the Room Service menu"...and cocktails....."we can not allow that in our cabins....if you wish to have a drink each guest will need to go to the bar and then carry their drink to the cabin" .....that makes for nice atmosphere....

as for having the event before we sail.....RCCL has let us know that is also not an option.....on my insistance....90% of the guests booked thier travel to the port thru RCCL.....since those arrangements have already been made there is no way that all of those attending will be able to make a wedding befor we sail....as usual RCCL is inflexable to changing those travel arrangeents..........and that is the only thing that i understand....

so ... that lets out having it on the ship or off before we sail....

this is an awful catch 22......

last night....I thought about just getting in touch w/ everyplace on cozumel and trying to slavage plan A.....but I am hesitant to beleive we are actually going to end up there.....our travel agent told me that over the next few weeks RCCL is going to evaluate the actual ships that will stop in cozumel.....since it is now a tender port there is no way to acomidate all of the cruise ships schedualled.....Carnival has already anounced thier ships that will not be stopping there...however RCCL is going to see how it goes first!!!!

at this point we are trying to get past the front lines of the "phone monkeys" and speak to someone who has more in there vocabulary than NO....

any thoughts or contacts....let me know

trish

as for having the event before we sail.....RCCL has let us know that is also not an option.....on my insistance....90% of the guests booked thier travel to the port thru RCCL.....since those arrangements have already been made there is no way that all of those attending will be able to make a wedding befor we sail....as usual RCCL is inflexable to changing those travel arrangeents..........and that is the only thing that i understand....

Why can't you have it on the ship before it sails? We had ours around 2:00-2:30 pm. I think everyone that wasn't sailing had to be off by 4ish. We sailed at 5. When will all of the guests be getting to the ship? You are allowed to board early if you are getting married. We were the first ones on the ship. What about doing a vow renewal? Have you talked to them about that. If they are already going to be married, that may be an option. Are you dealing with RCCL or Royal Romance?

as was previously stated the legalities of this are not an issue.....it is simply simbolic....the ceremony in the true sence...

compromise.....you betcha at this point....and you are right....it has cast a shadow.....

for those of you that insisist upon pointing out and critisizing the fact that I have such an active part in the planning of my daughters wedding......

I can only express that in our "culture" (for lack of a better word) this is the way it is done and that is not, nor ever has been the issue here.....and might I also point out...up until this point the bride has not had an issue with anything that has been done....the fact that I am even acknologing your remarks show how this has taken its toll......

my daughtr spent 1.5 hrs on the phone this morning w/ RCCL and the only thing she came away with was complete frustration....

as for our final resolution of just hosting the event in our suite.....seems that is out of the question also....RCCL does not allow gatheings in the cabins.....catered.. "if you would like to order off the Room Service menu"...and cocktails....."we can not allow that in our cabins....if you wish to have a drink each guest will need to go to the bar and then carry their drink to the cabin" .....that makes for nice atmosphere....

this is an awful catch 22......

last night....I thought about just getting in touch w/ everyplace on cozumel and trying to slavage plan A.....but I am hesitant to beleive we are actually going to end up there.....our travel agent told me that over the next few weeks RCCL is going to evaluate the actual ships that will stop in cozumel.....since it is now a tender port there is no way to acomidate all of the cruise ships schedualled.....Carnival has already anounced thier ships that will not be stopping there...however RCCL is going to see how it goes first!!!!

at this point we are trying to get past the front lines of the "phone monkeys" and speak to someone who has more in there vocabulary than NO....

any thoughts or contacts....let me know

trish

I don't think mother's being actively involved in planning their daughter's wedding is a cultural thing, I mean it happens all over the world in every culture. My point is being involved in planning (helping the bride realise her dream wedding) and having all control over the planning are two different things. There was even an episode on Dr. Phil where the mother of the bride was in total control of the wedding and Dr. Phil had to remind her that it was what her daughter wanted and not what she wanted. I think it stems from (and please don't take this personally, I don't know you) the fact that the mother did not have the wedding of her dreams so she in turn projects her idea of a "fantasy" wedding on the bride to be and ends up taking over the wedding and teh bride to be ends up with a wedding that is a far cry from what she really wanted.. What happens is that bride to be will eventually do the same to her daughter and a vicious cycle of momzillas are born :).

I know at this stage it would be hard to relinquish "control" but the more things go awry, the more frustrated and upset you and your daughter are becoming. Maybe it is time for someone else to step in and be mediator.

I don't understand what you mean by the ceremony only being "symbolic" are they going to me married already before the cruise ?I also can't understand why Royal Caribbean is being so infelxible when it is obvious that other couples who have gotten married on the ship were able to do so without all your roadblocks.

I hope everything works out for you and your daughter.

Archived