What are our chances

Occy

Of securing an early dining time once we are onboard. Our TA said that they were fully booked when we did our booking months ago. This has never happened before, although this is our first trip with HAL. Do we simply go to the MD and see what they cld do for us when we are onboard ? We aren't looking for a table for 2' an 8 wld be ideal.

TIA for your advice.

[quote name='Occy']Of securing an early dining time once we are onboard. Our TA said that they were fully booked when we did our booking months ago. This has never happened before, although this is our first trip with HAL. Do we simply go to the MD and see what they cld do for us when we are onboard ? We aren't looking for a table for 2' an 8 wld be ideal.

TIA for your advice.[/QUOTE]

chances depend upon the ship and itinerary and demand. It is certainly worth asking and with a larger table may very well be possible.

Remember some people change their minds after night one so it is worth being asked to go on a wait list or re-checking the next night.

The other option is to go for the time you like at any time dining and select the same table each night. If you are going at early dining time you can reserve. If you luck into compatible table mates, they may agree to do the same :)

I agree. The main dining room always seems to thin out after the first few days. I assume you will get what you want eventually as others sort out their own preferences after they initially board.

Or, as an joking aside, you can stuff yourself like I do during the day on all the fun food either on the ship or in port and not even be hungry by dinner time so it won't matter. (Gulp) Edited by OlsSalt

[quote name='Occy']Of securing an early dining time once we are onboard. Our TA said that they were fully booked when we did our booking months ago. This has never happened before, although this is our first trip with HAL. Do we simply go to the MD and see what they cld do for us when we are onboard ? We aren't looking for a table for 2' an 8 wld be ideal.

You can eat early with "open seating" dining as well.

[quote name='OlsSalt']I agree. The main dining room always seems to thin out after the first few days. I assume you will get what you want eventually as others sort out their own preferences after they initially board.

Or, as an joking aside, you can stuff yourself like I do during the day on all the fun food either on the ship or in port and not even be hungry by dinner time so it won't matter. (Gulp)[/QUOTE]

Your second suggestions sounds good to me LOL !!

We are on a two segment cruise I think. Vancouver to SF and then SF to Fort L. Wld that make a difference ? I think we will just go with anytime dining and see what transpires.

Thx all for your input.

In my experience, your chances are excellent. In a whole bunch of cruises, I have never been unsuccessful in getting an early seating assignment. Just go dee the MD as soon as you embark the ship.

Scott & Karen

[quote name='CaveDiving']In my experience, your chances are excellent. In a whole bunch of cruises, I have never been unsuccessful in getting an early seating assignment. Just go dee the MD as soon as you embark the ship.

Scott & Karen[/QUOTE]

Many thanks. That sounds reassuring. Fingers crossed.

I wanted main dining for a 33 day cruise. When I booked 11 months in advance I was waitlisted for it but later confirmed for anytime (which I did not want). Repeated requests to my TA did not get this changed. When I got onboard I was able to get it changed in under 30 seconds. On that cruise they were set up in the Culinary Arts center to make the changes so be sure to check when you board.

On the smaller R and S HAL ships, they usually handle dining room changes in the Explorer's Lounge.

First thing we do when we get on board is find out table #- not easy because they are not in sequence to see if we like the location. If not, we try and get a change and that has always worked too. We are fixed, late, table for two ...and usually on the rail or by a window.

Late dining fixed often will get you a table for four, but set up for only two so you really get to sprawl out. Edited by OlsSalt