Cabin Selection under GTY

gerry1.10

Not sure how they do it - but we got our assignment maybe a month or 6 weeks before departure. We were assigned a mid-ship balcony mini-suite ( we had a mini-suite guarantee). The location could not have been better. I'm sure it depends how full the ship is.

Does anybody has any insight how NCL assign cabins under the Guarantee Category X?

thanks

It really depends on what they have left and how lucky you are. I have done many guarantee rooms, mostly inside but once I did guarantee balcony and they gave me a Family Mini Suite with balcony. But no matter if its inside or balcony I had almost always gotten a room in a great location except my last time. My room was a nightmare. There was something that was making very loud noises during the night and it was not from people. It was so loud I could not sleep the whole night. I had to go to the front desk 3 times, and next day they gave me another inside. Thankfully the other room was very quiet during the night. However the manager seemed annoyed by my request.

Does anybody has any insight how NCL assign cabins under the Guarantee Category X?

Others have already answered to the important part, but despite what NCL's online descriptions say, X does not stand for guarantee category.

There are few regular cabins in most (if not all, I don't know about any exceptions, but then again I haven't looked) X subcategories and when those assigned cabins are sold out, X becomes the usual guarantee subcategory as it is the lowest possible.

Other subcategories can be sold as guarantees too, I've once booked OA GTY on Star.

Let me share my very limited experience.

I booked an OX, got a cabin assigned after some time, then upgraded to BX (paying the difference between what I paid for OX and the current BX price) and then got assigned the cabin again.

- Both cabins were assigned within couple of weeks. (The OX took 2-3 weeks, the BX , 1-2 weeks).

- Based on information shared on the roll call, fellow passengers that got an X the same time that me got assigned the same.

- As many other says, you can be "upgraded" to any subcategory, included the "obstructed view" for the OX. Common sense suggests that if the cheapest cabins are available, they will put you in that cabin. Based on that logic, if you buy well in advance, most likely you'll get your cabin assigned pretty fast. So, the best chance to get an upgrade (or an "upgrade" ) would be to buy when the category is almost sold out.

- As of now, the X categories are priced a lot less mainly because they don't include the NCL freebies (UDP, etc). However, since the cheapest cabins (i.e. "obstructed view") could be priced very close to the X but get all freebies, if you wait long enough chances are that you'll not get that one.

But be careful with that assumption (see below).

- The NCL and many TA websites allow you to monitor the available cabins.

The websites show no more than 15 cabins in a given category, but you can get little bit more information using the following tricks:

-- If you query for 2 or 3 people, it will first show cabins for only up to 3 people. If you see cabins for 4 or more, that means that you see all "available" 3 people cabins on that deck.

-- By you querying for 4 people you can limit the search only for cabins that can hold 4 people or more. This will expand your results beyond 15 cabins.

-- Some web TAs show more available cabins. Don't know why

- Now the bad part. If a cabin shows up as not available on the website, it doesn't mean that you can't get. Even if the whole sub-category shows up as sold out, you still may get a cabin there. This happened to be with the BX assignment: I monitored for at least a week before I got the assignment days and the BB category on Sun was sold out but I got a BB cabin.

May be the person there got an upsell/upgrade or may be they have "pre-reserved" cabins.