I have a questiond for people who already cruised on the Caribbean Princess

Chrissy688

Internet Cafe charges .35 per min on the Caribbean unless you are a Platinum or Elite member. On our cruise they ran very slow with connections. If you are waiting a long time for connections, you can go to the pursers desk and request that they reduce your charges for using the internet. They were very accomodating.

• 1 year later...

I haven't been on the Caribbean Princess yet, but I am an AIM addict. I would like to go online once or twice to keep in touch with people, for example my boyfriend, etc.

If you go to www.aim.com on the left hand side you can click on AIM Express, and you don't need to download the program to the computer or anything. But, I would assume the computers are equipped with AIM and perhaps Yahoo as well.

Happy Cruising!

You can not use any type of instant message program on Princess ships. Sorry, but email is the only way to go, I asked about this on several Princess ships in the past. Their computers do not have the AIM or Yahoo IM downloaded and it will not let you download it yourself. Only time I have seen instant message programs available on a cruise line was on the Carnival Legend.

I just got off the Carib. Princess. I had a WONDERFUL time on the ship. Amazing staff and yummy food.

The internet connection is VERY VERY SLOW. I would usually take 6 or 7 minutes just to get to my "inbox" on yahoo.

Enjoy!!

-Rachel

• 2 weeks later...

We are also considering the Caribbean Princess. It seems odd that a newly built ship does not have better Internet cafe or Wireless capability. Do the cabins have internet access for those of us willing to bring our laptop?

Not in the cabins yet but your laptop is the only way you'll be able to IM somebody.

As mentioned above though the connection is really slow, even with your own machine. The price is the same and since Princess' system allows NO uploads or downloads of any kind if you want to send a photo to someone back home that's surely the way to go.

Actually? I think on the next cruise I'm going to NOT bring a laptop and NOT go to the Internet cafe.

One of the best parts of the cruise for me is to NOT have a signal on my cell phone and there's nothing I can do about it.

We are also considering the Caribbean Princess. It seems odd that a newly built ship does not have better Internet cafe or Wireless capability. Do the cabins have internet access for those of us willing to bring our laptop?

The Caribbean Princess does have an Internet Cafe, plus wireless access in the atrium (lobby) area. Thirty-five cents per minute.

We used wireless, on our laptop. It's fast and efficient using your own laptop. Log on, get email, log off. Read and compose replies, with out the "clock ticking." Log on, send email, log off. Wireless access is purchased in 30 minute blocks, we used one 30 minute block to check/send email on four different days.

And the speed isn't all that bad, since emails are typically very small in size. I suspect the other poster that said it took eight minutes to get to the inbox might have had many messages in the inbox, or Yahoo was experiencing some sort of glitch.

The ships use satellite connections to the internet. These connections can be slow and can also be "lost" due to the position of the ship. It can be difficult getting on-line on the "exotic cruises" but any lost connection has always been refunded to me. Only two more cruises until I'm platinum and can get it free.

Are you still limited to buying wireless time in blocks of 30 minutes. On the Coral we had to do that, but they claimed they were looking into offering longer blocks. One co-cruiser was able to get extended times because he HAD to do work on the cruise, but I can't justify that and don't want to. I am on vacation not at work, but do like to get online for an hour or so at a time.

For your own laptop, you're stuck with 30 minute blocks--but it's still far superior to the Internet Cafe--no waiting for a terminal (common on the CB), ability to receive and send attachments, cut and paste text, compose and read offline, and the list goes on.

Les

Archived