Passport and Caribbean Cruise

jakzak10

We always take ours ashore with us. I carry all of them - DH's, mine, and both DDs' in my PacSafe MetroSafe 200 anti-theft cross-body bag when walking about. And when we are in the water, DH has them in a waterproof bag in a Velcroed pocket of his swim-trunks. We just renewed our passports after having them and carrying them in this manner for ten years with no incident. No incident because we are not careless with them.

I don't intend to ever be on foreign soil without my passport. For me, it's not just about missing the ship (which would never happen to us outside of an extreme situation out of our control) - it's bigger and harder to put into words than that. To me, my American Passport isn't just all-important identification -- it represents a lifeline and security, as well as freedom (as in freedom to roam, escape, etc.).

But as others have said, it is a personal choice we all make in our own way for our own reasons.

I also get mine stamped in the ports, which is a cool souvenir ... but the main reason I take it ... I AM IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY! I can't understand all these cruise travelers who think it's acceptable to leave it in the cabin safe. When travelling in Europe or any other country I was trained to ALWAYS have my passport with me.... not only to get back into the USA but to also prove my citizenship if I have any trouble with locals. Sure, the people in most of the Caribbean are easy going and it's not the same as some foreign countries ... but it's still foreign soil...

I always wonder what those not carrying a passport think could be presented to a policeman or bartender if asked for identification.

I always wonder what those not carrying a passport think could be presented to a policeman or bartender if asked for identification.

Drivers License. A Passport isn't required to travel on a cruise anyway. I would rather have my Passport left with the local authorities at the pier should I run into trouble with the law or such. They at least could get in touch with the proper Authorities I would think should I never return to claim it.

If it was so important to carry off the ship, then the cruise lines wouldn't hold on to them in some instances like others have reported. 100% safe on the ship 100% not when scampering about. Oh and the cell phone usually stays locked away in the safe as well especially if I'm going to the beach or near water where my things could be left unattended for even a small amount of time. I have a waterproof camera for pictures.

Drivers License. A Passport isn't required to travel on a cruise anyway. I would rather have my Passport left with the local authorities at the pier should I run into trouble with the law or such. They at least could get in touch with the proper Authorities I would think should I never return to claim it.

If it was so important to carry off the ship, then the cruise lines wouldn't hold on to them in some instances like others have reported. 100% safe on the ship 100% not when scampering about. Oh and the cell phone usually stays locked away in the safe as well especially if I'm going to the beach or near water where my things could be left unattended for even a small amount of time. I have a waterproof camera for pictures.

In 20 years of cruises in the Caribbean and Mexico, I've never had this happen (passport retained by the ship's staff) although there could have been instances where it was for certain pax (non-U.S.). And the OP's question related to the Caribbean specifically.

Edit: the only thing that's happened so us remotely similar is when we had to report to Customs on-board before debarking in St. Thomas.... 12 years ago. I don't even know if they do that any longer.

Edited by joepeka

Drivers License. A Passport isn't required to travel on a cruise anyway. I would rather have my Passport left with the local authorities at the pier should I run into trouble with the law or such. They at least could get in touch with the proper Authorities I would think should I never return to claim it. ...

Why would a policeman in Rome, Shanghai, Sydney, or Trinidad recognize a DL from American Samoa, or North Dakota?

In 20 years of cruises in the Caribbean and Mexico, I've never had this happen (passport retained by the ship's staff) although there could have been instances where it was for certain pax (non-U.S.). And the OP's question related to the Caribbean specifically.

I haven't had it happen either. My point being that you don't even need a Passport to cruise to the Caribbean. Therefore, there is no reason for me to risk it getting lost or stolen off the ship. But if it makes others feel better in case they need to "flee" or whatever, then it's their right. At least they have one.

I believe the cruises where even American Passports were held may have been on European itineraries. I can't recall. I will say this, though. With all the thefts in Italy there is no way I would ever take my Passport with me there. The Pickpockets are rampant. Not that I plan to go to Europe. Been there, done that back in the day. And Passport stayed in the hotel safe then as well.

On a cruise, mine stays comfortable and cool in the safe. No chance of water damage due to a faulty air tight device if I get in the water, and no chance of it getting "adopted" into a new home thanks to someone who feels that they can provide a better life for it than I :cool:. I know it will be waiting for me at the pier should I miss the ship and manage to misplace it or get robbed.

Everyone can do what they want. I stated why I do what I do and it's all about the risk one is willing to take. I don't think anyone is foolish for doing so and would expect the same courtesy from the "other side". I simply see zero reason to need it when on shore in the Caribbean. Do what y'all want. I'm not more right than you and vice versa.

Why would a policeman in Rome, Shanghai, Sydney, or Trinidad recognize a DL from American Samoa, or North Dakota?

I don't go to those places. We are discussing the Caribbean. You know where they even take US currency? If a Bartender needed to see my ID in a bar at Carlos N Charlie's, a DL is sufficient.

I haven't had it happen either. My point being that you don't even need a Passport to cruise to the Caribbean. Therefore, there is no reason for me to risk it getting lost or stolen off the ship. But if it makes others feel better in case they need to "flee" or whatever, then it's their right. At least they have one.

I believe the cruises where even American Passports were held may have been on European itineraries. I can't recall. I will say this, though. With all the thefts in Italy there is no way I would ever take my Passport with me there. The Pickpockets are rampant. Not that I plan to go to Europe. Been there, done that back in the day. And Passport stayed in the hotel safe then as well.

On a cruise, mine stays comfortable and cool in the safe. No chance of water damage due to a faulty air tight device if I get in the water, and no chance of it getting "adopted" into a new home thanks to someone who feels that they can provide a better life for it than I :cool:. I know it will be waiting for me at the pier should I miss the ship and manage to misplace it or get robbed.

Everyone can do what they want. I stated why I do what I do and it's all about the risk one is willing to take. I don't think anyone is foolish for doing so and would expect the same courtesy from the "other side". I simply see zero reason to need it when on shore in the Caribbean. Do what y'all want. I'm not more right than you and vice versa.

You made the statement about reports of passports being retained, I stated I've never seen it happen and you've stated that you have never seen it happen. I guess we agree on this point so we're both right... no discourtesy intended. ;)

Edited by joepeka

You made the statement about reports of passports being retained, I stated I've never seen it happen and you've stated that you have never seen it happen. I guess we agree on this point so we're both right. ;)

You're right about that! I am only going on what was posted on previous threads and on post #8 of this one.

I don't go to those places. We are discussing the Caribbean. You know where they even take US currency? If a Bartender needed to see my ID in a bar at Carlos N Charlie's, a DL is sufficient.

FYI, Trinidad is in the Caribbean.

I have been in the Caribbean and personally witnessed an incident where an officer would not accept a DL as ID. In the US a DL is an official document. Outside the country a US DL is just a piece plastic. Would you expect a policeman in Boise would accept a Bahamian DL as ID?

I have been in the Caribbean and personally witnessed an incident where an officer would not accept a DL as ID. In the US a DL is an official document. Outside the country a US DL is just a piece plastic. Would you expect a policeman in Boise would accept a Bahamian DL as ID?

I know where Trinidad is. Again, I don't go there. However, a Passport is not needed to take a cruise to the Caribbean. So if you don't have one, then what are you supposed to do, stay on the ship? I am not going to argue with you about this. My stance stays the same. MY Passport says on the ship. It's not my call on what a PO in Boise would accept as ID. Nor is it my concern. Take your Passport off the ship if it makes you feel better. I'm done with the bantering as you won't change my mind and I'm not trying to change yours. Have a wonderful evening.

I believe the cruises where even American Passports were held may have been on European itineraries.

It is. I believe on the Vista's inaugural Carnival kept the passports. I just recall of few posters having conniptions about it, although I may have read about that on my wife's "other book" site.

It's rare for Carnival to do it based on where they sail but much more common with other cruise lines based on itinerary. I know Oceania has cruises where they keep your passport for the entire cruise.

Here's an article on it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/articles/Must-my-cruise-line-look-after-my-passport/

I wondered why there were so many Bahamian's working at the Boise airport. Now I know why and unfortunately they're stuck there forever.

Edited by fuddrules

It is. I believe on the Vista's inaugural Carnival kept the passports. I just recall of few posters having conniptions about it, although I may have read about that on my wife's "other book" site.

It's rare for Carnival to do it based on where they sail but much more common with other cruise lines based on itinerary. I know Oceania has cruises where they keep your passport for the entire cruise.

Here's an article on it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/articles/Must-my-cruise-line-look-after-my-passport/

Oceania does indeed like to hang on to your passport. On our 2015 Miami to London adventure Oceania collected the passports upon boarding in Miami and even held them for the entire cruise including the US portion - Miami, Port Canaveral, Norfolk, New York, Boston, and Bar Harbor.

There was an issue during the port call in Port Canaveral as the port security would not allow passengers to reenter the port unless they had BOTH the ship's card and an photo ID - no copies accepted. Several passengers had brought their passport as their only ID and the ship had to send the passports out to the terminal security check point so the passengers could enter.

Carnival, NCL. RCI, Celebrity and HAL have never collected our passports. Princess has sometimes but only collects them for the port needing them and then promptly returns them.

Edited by dwgreenlee

Driver's License :)

I should have qualified my reply back on page 1 of the thread. In the Caribbean we leave our passports on the ship in the safe - just taking our DL and SS card with us.

When traveling in Europe we ALWAYS wanted our passports with us and I carried them in a security pouch that attached to my belt and then was tucked inside my waistband.

Never yet in the Caribbean but many times in other parts of the world our passports are collected by the ship. Did anyone hear about the woman who had her passport stolen out of her zipped purse in St Petersburg? The Russian authorities would not allow her to board the ship and her husband was not allowed off the ship to join her. She went to a hotel but no passport no room. Finally spent the night with the tour employee. Have never tried to use it but I keep a picture of ours in both of our phones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums