First solo cruise

mommom of 7

As most of you know I lost my Best Friend, Husband & Cruisein' buddy LARRY last Mth.

We had booked the Halloween cruise Mth's ago & he made me promise to go without him. I will be on the PARADISE the 29th of Oct.

I ask over on FB Paradise page & it looks like no one but me going that week. Nice big ship to myself.

Anyone from CC going?

Would love to hook up with some of you for dinner at least. That will be such a lonely time i'm sure.

How do you other loner's do it.

All hints will be helpful.

Thanks

Char :)

Sorry to hear about your loss, my thoughts and prayers. Sailing solo can be fun, as other solo cruisers will attest to, there are people everywhere to talk with; at dinner, on excursions, etc. Going on my third solo cruise in September, like you I was scared at first but I got on the ship and I totally forgot I was sailing alone - after 16 previous "companioned" cruises, it was daunting. I am sure other solo cruisers here, on CC, will have a lot more great advice to offer. Have a wonderful cruise.

As most of you know I lost my Best Friend, Husband & Cruisein' buddy LARRY last Mth.

We had booked the Halloween cruise Mth's ago & he made me promise to go without him. I will be on the PARADISE the 29th of Oct.

I ask over on FB Paradise page & it looks like no one but me going that week. Nice big ship to myself.

Anyone from CC going?

Would love to hook up with some of you for dinner at least. That will be such a lonely time i'm sure.

How do you other loner's do it.

All hints will be helpful.

Thanks

Char :)

I'm very sorry for your loss, Char. Please accept my condolences.

Here is the roll call for your cruise. You might find some info there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327975

I love to cruise solo. As long as you like your own company, you'll have a great time. I don't think of it as "loner." It's just having a good time doing something I enjoy. Just do the familiar things you're used to doing on a cruise. Doing them solo doesn't change the fact that you like to do them. I'm guessing Larry would want you to have a good time.

When I'm faced with difficulty, I just "give it to God" and keep putting one foot in front of the other and focus. Then everything just seems to fall into place. I was married 25 years and have been single for 4 years. I'm having the time of my life being single. I hope you will too. Best wishes for your Halloween cruise! You better get busy on that costume. :-)

To be honest, I find solo cruising more fun than if I were going with someone, since I'm only focusing on having fun myself and not having to accommodate the wishes of the other person. I take my Kindle, book whatever tours (through the ship or independent) I wish, and just relax. You'll always run into people to talk to on the cruise. Just go with the flow of things and you'll be fine.

I too send my deepest sympathy to you. You have inspired me today and I want to thank you for that. I hope that I will be as brave as all of you solo travelers. I think this sends out a message to all of us that when we are on a cruise to be friendly and if you see someone sitting alone at trivia maybe ask them if they would like to join your group. Sitting next to someone that appears to be alone on the pool deck engage in conversation. I'm sure if that person wants to be left to themselves, they will give clues. Happy Sunday to all!!

Hi Char. As noted before, I'm so sad to hear about Larry, but know you're a strong woman, and will survive, and thrive. Sure wish I could join you on the Halloween cruise, but with the lovely and talented Mrs. Jones on the Med Cruise at that time, it's impossible for me to leave the house, and critters. As far as dinner seating for SOLO cruisers, they usually try to put us at a BIG table, with other SOLO cruisers, and it almost always works out very well. Many times, you'll find someone, or a BUNCH of someones to hang out with, and perhaps even go ashore with. In any case, just relax, and enjoy the cruise, just as Lar would want you to.

Later,

"SKY"

I am very sorry for your loss.

I took my first solo cruise on the Sensation back in 2000. Was quite nervous about it, especially dining with strangers, but I went to dinner that night and met a fantastic group of people, mostly solos, but also two couples. I had a great cruise, and have sailed both with friends and family since then, but also several solo cruises.

I do enjoy these solo cruises very much. Some people that I have met on cruises, I met up with again on cruises after. But one thing I love is having the whole stateroom to myself:) I wish you well, and many more cruises in your future.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I took my first solo cruise on the Sensation back in 2000. Was quite nervous about it, especially dining with strangers, but I went to dinner that night and met a fantastic group of people, mostly solos, but also two couples. I had a great cruise, and have sailed both with friends and family since then, but also several solo cruises.

I do enjoy these solo cruises very much. Some people that I have met on cruises, I met up with again on cruises after. But one thing I love is having the whole stateroom to myself:) I wish you well, and many more cruises in your future.

And not to mention having a bathroom to yourself. Oh, and being able to leave the TV on all night. :)

There is nothing wrong with dining solo either. I often choose to eat alone in the dining room. Depends on my mood. But I have met some wonderful people in the dining room.

just go and have fun.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Two years ago, I booked a solo cruise for myself and ended up at a wonderful table of other solo and single travelers. Two of my table mates and another person we adopted into our group mid-week were recent widow(er)s. I was going through some turbulence in my own life as well at the time, although nothing on that level. It ended up being an absolutely magical week. Several of us keep in touch to this day. I can't imagine another trip ever topping that one! You can find a review of that trip in my signature if you'd like (Freedom 2014).

The nice thing about cruising is that you can find a group to join in with when you'd like, and you can find plenty of time for solitude and reflection, when needed, as well. There's nothing quite like the healing powers of the sea.

To be honest, I find solo cruising more fun than if I were going with someone, since I'm only focusing on having fun myself and not having to accommodate the wishes of the other person. I take my Kindle, book whatever tours (through the ship or independent) I wish, and just relax. You'll always run into people to talk to on the cruise. Just go with the flow of things and you'll be fine.

So very true.

Okay, I'll be the gloomy one. My first solo was really my hardest. My first hard night was elegant night because that was a biggie for us. Wound up escaping to a high deck and walk around trying to control myself. Everything I looked at I kept thinking he'd like this or that. I've since been on 2 more, it got better. I now am okay with it though still miss the connection to someone familiar. I now don't even want to share my cabin. I'm not outgoing so that's a hindrance, but it's fine for me, I am what I am.. I met you and Larry once, spoke briefly while waiting for a show, the scooter was covered with beads.

Keep your head high and although cruising will be different now, don't let it stop you. It's still a joy to cruise.

Okay, I'll be the gloomy one. My first solo was really my hardest. My first hard night was elegant night because that was a biggie for us. Wound up escaping to a high deck and walk around trying to control myself. Everything I looked at I kept thinking he'd like this or that. I've since been on 2 more, it got better. I now am okay with it though still miss the connection to someone familiar. I now don't even want to share my cabin. I'm not outgoing so that's a hindrance, but it's fine for me, I am what I am.. I met you and Larry once, spoke briefly while waiting for a show, the scooter was covered with beads.

Keep your head high and although cruising will be different now, don't let it stop you. It's still a joy to cruise.

Yes I remember that nite so well. You found us & spoke, the doors opened & I don't think we saw you again the whole cruise.

I know it will be hard but must go & like you said keep my head up & think good thoughts about us. We had a lot of them so finding good things won't be hard.