Couple Links for Fort Lauderdale Information (Damage)

Yeah, I'm supposed to be in Ft. Lauderdale in a week for an overnight stay prior to boarding Enchantment of the Seas, had a great Priceline rate for the Renaissance, and got an e-mail today that the hotel was closed and they didn't know when it would reopen. (I had been monitoring the Marriott website and they NEVER listed this hotel as closed, so I thought all was well...my mistake). :cool: Called the hotel and they were VERY much clueless as to when they would reopeon, as was central reservations. I guess that's not too surprising.

At this point I'm just going to play it day-by-day and see what happens, I can cancel the Priceline thing and get my money back, and I'm trying to get a reservation a little further out from the airport/pier area.

I guess I'm surprised that the media have not picked up more on the lingering issues in Southern Florida; I think everyone focused on the Gulf Coast of Florida when Wilma hit and forgot about the East Coast cities. It seems like it's just NOW coming to the forefront.

Most of the hotels aren't damaged, they just don't have power and no one knows when that will come back (water is largely back now), so they don't have a clue when they can reopen.

Renaissance on SE 17th Street is fine, no damage, just no power.

The only area where I know the hotels to be open is in downtown Miami and Miami Beach.

My husband was driving his aunt back to Venice FL today, and called to say that he passed over 125 or 150 power trucks on I-75 in So. GA & No. FLA, which are probably headed to S. Fla -- After he passed Wildwood he didn't see any more of those trucks, so we guess they all went down the FL turnpike.

Archived