Tropical Storm Earl

Hi Everyone - We are sailing this Sunday. I woke up today and read about "Earl" the tropical storm/hurricane scheduled to be in our path next week! I know that the captain may redirect a ship due to weather, but I'm still wondering if anyone here has had this type of experience? I'll pack rain gear, and figure out something for possible seasickness (ugh), all while keeping fingers crossed it is not that bad (for us or the folks living in the storm path).

Also, a friend suggested I get insurance. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks! Teresa

Teresa, I have a friend who is a meteorologist. I asked his advice because are sailing on Saturday. He said it should make landfall in the Yucatan on Friday evening, so if you are leaving from Florida, you should be fine. He said the storm is moving rather quickly.

Hi. We are sailing out of Galveston, TX. To Cozumel-Grand Cayman-Jamaica. Still, lets hope it quickly clears the area!

Regarding insurance...My understanding is that if you buy it today you likely would not be covered for any kind of cancellation due to the storm because it's already active. It would only work for a new storm that hasn't been named yet.

Hi Everyone - We are sailing this Sunday. I woke up today and read about "Earl" the tropical storm/hurricane scheduled to be in our path next week! I know that the captain may redirect a ship due to weather, but I'm still wondering if anyone here has had this type of experience? I'll pack rain gear, and figure out something for possible seasickness (ugh), all while keeping fingers crossed it is not that bad (for us or the folks living in the storm path).

Also, a friend suggested I get insurance. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks! Teresa

Had this experience in October of 2012. Our cruise left right as Hurricane Gonzalo started to form. We were on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary. On night one at around 7 or 8 pm the captain made an all ship announcement that due to a developing storm (it wasn't yet the strong hurricane it would become only 2 days later) that was targeting the Eastern Caribbean we would be moving to the Western Caribbean. It worked out fine and the crew didn't miss a beat.