Milk and Cots!

lalalemon

Hi!

We're going to be on Independence of the Seas next month with our little girl when will be 11 months, do I need to book a cot? Or will there be one waiting in our room?

Also, is there somewhere to get warm milk onboard? She loves milk, but won't drink it cold! Has it morning and before bed and sometimes in the day too!

Many thanks!

Don't assume that they will put one in the room, it's easy enough to request one beforehand and they will set it up for you. One tip is the cot mattress tends to be very firm, it's usually the flat board on a travel cot, in the past we have taken a cot bed duvet type cover and folded it up under the sheet to make it a bit softer for our little one.

There is warm cows milk at breakfast time close to the cereals not sure about later on in the day but if Indy still has kettles in the room you could boil water and sit a beaker/bottle of milk in some tupperware to take the chill off, depends how warm she likes it.

Also, if you have a room with a shower, take a little blow up bath/paddling pool, can be used as a bath and if you have a balcony a little splash pool out there :-)

Don't know the facilities on your ship so here is my general advice for warming milk while traveling.

Take along a bottle (or sippy cup whatever she is accustomed to) and a thermos big enough for it to fit in.

Get some hot water from the coffee/tea station (usually one on the Lido somewhere) in your big thermos and than put the bottle of cold milk into the thermos. It will take a bit of time, but it will warm up the milk.

If you can't find a wide enough mouthed thermos use a bowl (take one or ask your steward for one) and do the same thing. Practice at home so you know how long to let it sit.

Tip # 2

If you are taking sippy cups/bottles bring along some dish soap and your own dish towel to clean them.

The crew usually loves kids so they are happy to help you find the resources you need if you are looking for something.

Have a great time!

I don't know about the individual ships but on both carnival and disney, I had success going to the coffee bar and they would heat milk up for me at night. On the disney cruise, I tried to remember to ask our waiter to bring a cup of warm milk at the end of dinner and then I put it in a thermos to keep it warm for the hour until bed.

Pre reserve a pack-n-play (cot) and have it noted on your reservation directly with RCI by you or the TA you used. I would also (and do actually bring a colored one so as not to get taken) bring my own fitted sheet...onboard they will just wrap a regular sheet around the mattress...And do bring your little one's favorite blankets.

Warm milk can be ordered from room service...however we found the delivery too slow for when it was needed at night....much easier and quicker to get it from one of the drink station's in the WJ (many mom's & dad's will be lined up to get it in the evenings before they close at 9:00pm)...You can also get it from wherever they serve specialty coffee (they will steam it for you) and it will be easy to get in any dining venue at breakfast...I would personally ask one of the waitstaff for it and not use the warm milk they have set out by the oatmeal...JMHO. Traveling with little ones isn't as hard as some may think....Enjoy !!

In a pinch bring a couple cartons and put them in your refrigerator, then use the insulated wine bucker to warm them. Put hot water inside and plunk the carton in with it. You can usually get milk catons at the breakfast buffet.

Edited by williamsk