Purchasing a cruise - RCCL changes?

VaNitz

Hello there, I need some advice ....I've been out of the cruising loop for a while now. My family and I have sailed with Royal Caribbean twice...but not since 2002. I remember reading in these forums (about 1 1/2 years ago) how Royal Caribbean changed it's discounting policies with other travel agencies.

I have purchase both previous cruises with buycruises, but I wonder how this has changed things since RCCL made those changes. I'm going to start shopping for cruises soon, but will I still get the best prices with the online travel agent(s) that I have used in the past, or has Royal Caribbean tried to force people to book with them? Is buycruises still one of the better choices for booking a cruise at a discounted price?

Any help on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Royal Caribbean has stopped the discounting. This was done out of a stated belief in getting RCI consumers the best service, and not let price be the driver. Agents can still provide extra "perks" as long as they do not have a known value. Find a knowledgeable agent who will serve your needs, not their own, and enjoy great customer service and let them do all the work for you.

You will get the same prices from all agents whether they are online or not.The only way to get it a little cheaper is if you are part of a group.As stated above some agents are offering some incentives.I have seen free or discounted travel insurance,free wine,amex gift cards etc.If you have been happy with the agent you used check to see if they offer a little extra and book with them.

I still use the TA where you Buy Cruises because they have never let me down on 5 cruises out of 6. They can't give me a lower price but when they could they gained my respect & loyalty. Just be careful in knowing all the companies policies before booking with a TA. Some are not good even tho I cruise anyway (felt cheated, had to pay to move cabins within the same category). Newbies (not saying you are) should book direct, it seems to be best way now that the new policies have gone into effect. Sure a site might pay your insurance but they may charge you to move within the same category which just ain't right. Read the fine print twice before you commit with anyone.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Another piece of information to throw into the mix: If you book through a TA, RC will only talk to the TA. If you want to change something, or find out if a credit has appeared on your account, or know about your booking in ANY way, RC will just tell you to talk to your TA or to have your TA call them. They won't deal with you. Thus, I have booked directly with RC for my upcoming cruises.

Another piece of information to throw into the mix: If you book through a TA, RC will only talk to the TA. If you want to change something, or find out if a credit has appeared on your account, or know about your booking in ANY way, RC will just tell you to talk to your TA or to have your TA call them. They won't deal with you. Thus, I have booked directly with RC for my upcoming cruises.

Great advice Carol! I find that I can book with RCCL, make all of the necessary arraingements with them, and then turn the booking to a TA, who will pay for my insurance as their piece of the pie. They are not discounting, and I would assume the insurance comes out of their commission, but they still make money, or they would not do it. Just thoughts!!:)

Archived