It does exist....

miki76

After 20 Carnival cruises booked through Ta's, I changed to booking through Carnival directly and received my first ever upgrade offer via email. It was from inside to an oceanview for a total cabin cost of $50. I chose the room (deck 7 mid ship, under the dining room not the galley) and paid the upgrade charge online. Extremely easy to do and we are thrilled to have been found by the upgrade fairies. This is for the Fantasy in January, seemed far out but jumped on it. :D

Yep. Upsells are rare with TAs because they have to contact the TA to contact you then contact Carnival again. In all that time wasted they could be ready to move on to the next sailing. Same as when they call. They have a job to do and are going to do it in the quickest way possible which is by going straight to the decision maker - the guest.

Not to say it never happens if you book with a TA, but it is much rarer. Mostly if they need your specific cabin for various reasons. Had that happen once. DM and DMIL were booked in a connecting 4A cabin (there wasn't a lot of selection left). TA called me asking if they would like a free upgrade to an 8C. I think there was a family that wanted the 2 connecting rooms. They took it.

Congratulations! Nice cabin choice, too. :) We've gotten three in the last month. Unfortunately, all for the same sailing and a category upgrade offer, but a lower deck. We always prefer Empress, forward or midship, even if it's a porthole. We usually accept these offers. :)