Kauai: Best Na Pali coast boat tour?

mlbcruiser

Has anyone ever taken a tour of the Na Pali Coast by boat w/any of the following companies? Holoholo Charters, Capt. Andy/Capt. Zodiac (same website, same co.?) or Liko Kauai? We'd like to be able to go as far north around the Na Pali area as possible (considering we'll be there in mid-Nov.). Any info. welcome!

We took two day trips - one on a Zodiac Raft and another on Holoholo - both were totally different and fantastic. The raft (while bumpy) was tons of fun and took you up close to the land and into caves. Spinner dolphins and turtles were everywhere on that particular day......we loved it. The Holoholo went out to the forbidden island - great - I do mean GREAT snorkling.....lots to see (I dive also) plus we were graced to have a monk seal swim with us for the entire snorkle. Big thumbs up to both.

furthermore - we LOVED Kauai.....beautiful, unspoiled island. Can't wait to go back.

Sandy

Sandy, thanks for your great input! (May I ask what time of year you went?)Though both excursions sound so fun, how can we pick?! :confused: Actually, this time we aren't going to be on a cruise, but from using these boards, I knew I could find good info. on here. My DH has a conference in Kauai. I JUST found out that Capt. Andy is the co. being used by the group for their group excursion. (That co. is associated w/Capt. Zodiac's trips). My book says the drawback w/that co. is their boats are much too crowded and the snorkel stop they use on their Na Pali Coast tours is crummy. They do go to Nihau - the forbidden island - and if the weather along the Na Pali is rough, we could end up there, too!) But hey, we cruise a lot, and though we try to book our own excursions, sometimes we've had to tour on crowded boats, so we can handle that if necessary - if it means the trip will be paid for as part of my DH's conference! ;) Maybe we can squeeze in a zodiac raft trip our last full day there, when there is nothing scheduled as far as meetings go. Thanks again for your help and if you have any other advice, don't hesitate to add it! That goes for anyone else, too. (P.S. My DH has been diving for about 3 yrs. now, but I am merely a very experienced snorkeler!)

We were there in July. The Holoholo leaves really early in the morning - and it's a 7 hour trip ( if I remember correctly). It was not really crowed when we went - a very enjoyable day. If your main draw is the snorkling - then the Holoholo should be your choice...because I recall the snorkling from the zodiac trip as marginal.... But for the more exciting tour - I'd have to go with the zodiac - it was bumpy - but I loved it. To go into the caves was exciting, and we toured some old ruins on the shore (marked with a big X on the cliffs), saw some great locations from movies - and lots of spinner dolphins & Do both you can swing it - totally different experiences.

Make sure try Dukes - great restraunt & bar near the Marriott.

We loved everything about Kauai - and pretty much explored the whole island....just a beautiful, beautiful place.

Yes, Sandy, you are right about that Holoholo tour to Ni'hau having a real early departure. But they do have another one that just does the Na Pali Coast, too. I think you have to report in for it at 8:00 and it leaves at 8:30. (Someone's does, anyway.) I am a night person, but figure HI time is so far behind our's that I can manage. I LOVE to snorkel, but mostly figure the Na Pali coastline is just something I want to SEE. Still going to think about doing a zodiac trip in addition to the Capt. Andy boat, though. Will look into it a lot more once we get there. Everything says mornings are best for what seems like no matter what you want to do. Perhaps the clouds build and rain is more likely in the afternoon or something. But we'll have to work around the conference schedule. Kind of wish we were going in the summer (for the water conditions). Guess I'm never satisfied. Seeing the famous N. Shore beaches of Oahu were such a disappointment in July yrs. ago. Not exactly the huge waves on t.v. surfing championships! However, we did get to see some fairly large waves in Maui about 5 yrs. ago at a place that I think they called "Slaughterhouse" on their N. Shore. Rumor had it that a particularly high "wave" (as they called it. I think it was really a series of waves) was coming, so there were numerous surfers there.

I do remember hearing someplace about Duke's. We will have to go there. (Haven't even looked at the restaurant section in my book yet.)

Other than the boat trips, what would you say are the biggest MUST DOs? Or what other things did you ENJOY doing the most? I know we will visit the canyon and drive around the island (well, as far as you can and then have to turn around!) Did you have a car? If so, regular or 4 wheel drive? And did you go on any dirt roads or get stuck anywhere? (I know what it's like to be stuck in sand from living in FL for years!)

I really appreciate your input and good tips!

I'm headed to our college Homecoming - so this will be brief - I'll write more w

hen we get home. Snorkling or diving in Hawaii is better in the am because of visibility. The winds and currents pick up in the afternoon - so you're just going to have a better experience in the am.

There are alot of special places we found......but I need to pull out my journal to get the names correct - and I'll do that when we get back. My DH & I love to get in the car and just take off to explore - so we've found alot of great spots that way. Have a good weekend - I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends that I haven't seen in years. More later.

Sandy

Sandy, Hope the school you want wins! Whenever you get time to check into your notes, that's fine. Don't go to too much trouble, though. We are also big fans of just driving around. The experiences you DON'T plan are often the ones that turn out the best, or that we remember most from trips, aren't they? Have a fun time this wkend! :)

Maria

Yes, Holoholo has two trips; the NaPali only (on their ship Liela), and the NaPali/Niihau trip on their larger catamaran (I don't recal the name). Blue Dolphin also offers a NaPali only and a Napali/Niihau trip (but only do Niihau on Tuesday's and Friday's, I believe). Captain Andy's does a Napali tour as well, and is the company offering the Napali Sunset Cruise through several cruise lines (like NCL) during the summer months (May-early October). Liko Kauai is another option, and comes highly recommended by several guidebooks. These are the catamaran tours I know of that leave from the south end of the island.

If you're on a land trip and have the time, Captain Sundown is an option from Hanelei Bay to the north. Unfortuntely, if you're cruising, getting to the departure ports by tour check-in time and then back to the ship prior to departure from port limits the number of options you'll have. NaPali Explorer (the Zodiac tour) is offered on several cruise lines, but most likely won't be as comfortable as the catamaran tour would be if that's an issue.

We did Holoholo last year (on Leila) on October 19th, and here's what I thought about it and wrote in my review:

The first day in Kauai we chose Holoholo Carters for the 5.5 hour morning NaPali tour. In researching NaPali coast tour options, I discovered that NCL buys out NaPali Explorer on days they are in port, and in the summer months (May through September), the ship does not arrive in port early enough to make the check in times for other NaPali Coast operators, because most of them offer two tours daily, with the morning tours leaving around 6:30AM, and the PM tours can be a rough ride because of the trade winds. However, beginning in mid-September that changes. Most operators only do one daily tour, which leaves Port Allen or Waimea Harbor at 8-8:30PM.

We had originally booked the NaPali tour through the ship just to ensure we would get a chance to see the coast up-close from a small boat perspective. The NaPali Explorer is a rigid hull inflatable, and unlike the Dolphin Excursion boat we took up the west shore of Oahu, it does not have side guard rails to lean on (you hold onto ropes when moving). By comparison, the Holoholo is a 49’ sailing catamaran, and was extremely comfortable. During our tour we did see the Explorer up close several times, and we were very pleased with our decision. The trip was fabulous, great crew, great vessel, and fun ride, great food for breakfast and lunch, and open bar after snorkeling (although the snorkeling was not very good). Select this type of excursion for the scenic tour, not the snorkeling. There are better places on the island for that.

The only catch with an early morning tour is though the ship arrives at the dock prior to 7AM, we were not cleared to disembark until 7:25AM. I had pre-arranged a taxi pick-up (through Kauai Taxi), and they were at the pier waiting. We made it to Port Allen for check easily before the 8AM posted check-in time and 8:30AM departure. Had the cruise ship offered this tour, we would have selected it for the convenience. I would highly recommend that if you need taxi service on Kauai, pre-arrange it. I did not see many taxis waiting at all (maybe two).

I hope this helps!

bankofdad, I actually did call Liko Kauai and the lady sounded very nice. Like you mentioned, they were highly touted (along w/Holoholo) in my Ultimate Kauai book. But this is a partial work trip for my husband as he's attending a conference in Kauai. His group has a tour of the Na Pali coast w/Capt. Andy so we are sort of stuck w/that tour (unless we want to foot the bill ourselves, which we don't!) and will have to forgo the other companies. (Our tour is on a Monday, so perhaps it won't be so crowded. Glad you mentioned the ship days in port as we'll be wanting to avoid those!) Good info. about the rope railings on the Na Pali Explorer, too. That doesn't sound very comfy, I must admit!

I was just looking on a website that lists many activities and companies that offer them. Esp. snorkel and boat trips. From what I've read, the coral isn't all that great around Kauai but on a good day there can be a lot of fish in the right place. So I guess we're more focused on the above ground scenery on this trip, but if I have a chance, I might do a half day snorkel trip (because I know my DH will want to do a dive trip, only his will have to be in the afternoon due to his meetings and that won't be the best time, I'm sure). We are a bit spoiled re: snorkeling as we have been to some great snorkeling places from the caribbean to Mexico to French Polynesia, and I know winter isn't the top time for it in Kauai. I would still LOVE to get a zodiac trip in, however, due to those being able to get close to the shore, caves, etc. Guess water and weather conditions will rule that situation, so we'll wait til we get there.

Thanks for your input! I'm sure your reply has helped a bunch of cruisers!

We are a bit spoiled re: snorkeling as we have been to some great snorkeling places from the caribbean to Mexico to French Polynesia

Thanks mlbcruiser. I hope the comments help someone.

In French Polynesia, did you cruise there or were you on a land vacation? We're looking at a Tahiti cruise on Princess for spring 2007. I'd really be interested to hear where you went. Thanks!

bankofdad, I JUST finished writing a post about our cruise in French Polynesia (which we LOVED) that took me at least 20 min. to write. Tried to preview it, and got a "you are not signed in" message (though I WAS signed in!) and lost the whole thing! :confused: :mad: Frustrating! I promise to rewrite it again as soon as I can. But that might not be for a couple of days. (I have a full plate through Monday w/2 days of work and a couple of social things at night, but I promise to do it. It's late mow, and I know I will be wordy, and I have to get up early for work. I shall return! ;)

We too enjoyed your comments on the zodiac trips and have added it to our list of things to do while in Hawaii. We will be staying a week on each of the 4 major islands, so we are really getting excited just planning the trip. You may want to check out the Aranui3.com website in regards to a trip to French Polynesia. We went on their wonderful adventurous cruise a couple of years ago and it was truly spectacular! It is a freighter holding 200 passengers and includes all tours (English & French speaking), meals including wines, spacious cabins (new ship in '02) and quite unique in every way!

This is not at Kauai, but for anyone traveling also to Big Island on cruise or land-based trip, I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND a snorkel excursion south of Kona on a zodiac-type boat -- probably the best snorkeling ever including several superb snorkel trips in Caribbean!! Check out http://www.dolphindiscoveries.com -- snorkeled in extremely calm & amazingly clear waters at Captn Cook Monument and another good snorkel at Place of Refuge, followed by a ride out in ocean where we found & followed a pod of pilot whales!!!

This is not at Kauai, but for anyone traveling also to Big Island on cruise or land-based trip, I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND a snorkel excursion south of Kona on a zodiac-type boat -- probably the best snorkeling ever including several superb snorkel trips in Caribbean!! Check out www.dolphindiscoveries.com -- snorkeled in extremely calm & amazingly clear waters at Captn Cook Monument and another good snorkel at Place of Refuge, followed by a ride out in ocean where we found & followed a pod of pilot whales!!!

I agree Cruisin K D,

Kealakekua Bay near KOna is the best snorkeling spot I've ever been too. We used Fairwinds for the catamaran tour out to this spot last year, and Captain Zodiac this year. We didn't go to Place of Refuge, though, so it sounds like your tour operator offers a benefit the others don't:D ! We did go out and see a pod of about 20-25 pilot whatews (and the white tip reff sharks that follow them around), and it was definitely a highlight.

Maybe the next time to kona we'll have to check out dolphin discoveries! JUst another good reason to go back:D .

bankofdad, this will be long, but finally I have a chance to reply to your question about a Tahitian cruise: BOOK IT! :) There are some super posts on the ports of call section of this board that you can gets lots of info. from, but I will cover our experience here just the same.

We LOVED our trip last Sept. on the Tahitian Princess. The ship is a former Renaissance ship and was more cheerfully decorated than I expected. I thought she offered a good mix of tastefulness w/bold color and comfort, and all other aspects of the service and food were fine. Maybe some of the "livelines" and better entertainment of, say, a RCCL Voyager class ship was missing, but considering the itinerary, it seemed appropriate and more than adequate. I had "met" some very nice people on the roll call section of this board and we continually came across them as many of us had booked the same excursions - esp. Marc's and Capt. Heifara's mentioned below. We did have a balcony room (the only time we ever have in 19 cruises!) and enjoyed it a lot. Our ports were Tahiti (you stay overnight after you board so you do have a good amount of time to sightsee there), Huahine, Raitea, Bora Bora, Rarotonga (Cook Is.), Moorea, and back to Tahiti. (There is another itinerary that goes to the Marquesas, too.) The day of disembarkation you can use the ship as a base (they handle your luggage and you even get to eat on the ship that last day. Most planes fly out late in the evening, so that's a plus.) . . . Just have to mention this point. I know the Paul Gaugin does about the same itinerary. We saw that ship and although the Tahitian Princess is not real large, the P.G. was really small in comparison! Some people on our ship who had sailed the P.G., as well as a couple in port from that same ship in Moorea, told us the P.G. was not worth the extra cost and one man actually didn't like his cruise on it at all! In addition, we were staying on Moorea when the P.G. stopped there and later noted that the locals didn't set up NEARLY the number of vendor stalls by the tender dock when the P.G. was anchored offshore as they did when the T.P. visited there. A SIGNIFICANT difference in both # items and quality offered from "their" day to "our" day.

If you go, it's really worth it to add a few days onto your trip. I prefer before sailing in order to have time to adjust to the time change somewhat before the start of your cruise. But even if you have to do it after the cruise, you are going so far and spending so much, do it if you can. Food is pricey in French Polynesia and the islands are on the quiet side (Papeete is bustling, but that's the only "bustling" we saw on the trip! LOL!) So seeing the area by cruise first gives you an idea if you'd like to return and do a land trip. We flew into LAX early in the afternoon, rented a car, and drove around the CA coast a bit. Had dinner at an open air restaurant on Venice Beach, then went back to LAX well before time for our plane to leave. There we met up w/some friends we had met on a prior caribbean cruise the year before (as planned) and hung out til nearly midnight, when our flight left. (We stayed in the same hotel w/them and ate w/them on our cruise, but did mostly different excursions which worked out fine.) We flew Air Tahiti Nui and I can't recommend it enough! Upon arrival in Papeete, we were greeted (at about 5 a.m.!) w/a Tahitian band and people handing out fragrant tiares (tiny white flowers that are related to gardenias). The best welcome we've ever had in an airport! We caught a taxi to the ferry dock downtown and took the ferry across the Bay of the Moon to Moorea.

Once in Moorea, we caught a minivan and went to our resort, where stayed 3 nights at Intercontinental's Moorea Beachcomber. There are a couple of other very nice resorts on the island as well as some very basic places. You can find them all on the internet and posts about them on the ports of call threads. We really enjoyed this time on Moorea as we would only have one day in port when on the ship. Had some lovely dinners at restaurants off the premises, and rented a car one day for a few hours to drive around the island. On Embarkation day we ferried back to Papeete and boarded our ship. Once situated, we headed back off the ship to the market and bought the practically required floral arrangement. These are GEORGEOUS and cost very little $10,$15, $20 for what would cost $75 - $100 here, and should last throughout your cruise, giving your cabin a fragrant aroma. The day after embarkation, while still docked in Papeete, was the day we took a 4 wheel drive tour (sort of a truck that was open in the back) of Tahiti. I can't recall the co. but they were well known and the SECOND most recommended on these boards (I THINK the guy recommended most was called "Patrick" but we did not use him.) and the trip was SUPER! We went way into the interior of the island and even swam in a waterfall. Great fun! Also learned many things about the flora and history of Tahiti.

Re: other shore excursions, the top 3 for us were: Capt. Heifara's whalewatching/shark swimming/picnic and snorkeling tour on Moorea. (In spring I'm not sure if the whales will be there or not :confused: ) Capt. Heifara and his wife are both marine biologists and care a great deal about the environment. EVERYONE who went on this tour (not a ship's tour!) loved it. On Huahine we did Marc's Motu Picnic - also not a ship's tour - and it was SUPER! Lovely location, just the right amount of people to make it fun, and cheaper than the ship's tour that did basically the same thing. Great picnic at tables IN shallow water at a lovely beach where our food was very freshly prepared and we were entertained. Another favorite was a snorkeling excursion we did book through the ship to some coral gardens. I am not even CERTAIN of which island we did this at :o (my husband went diving and my next door neighbors -who joined us on this cruise as well - went w/me). This one we booked through the ship and I do recall that in the description it mentions having to walk through part of an island to get to one of the snorkeling locations. (This walk isn't tough at all so don't let that put you off!) Sounds like you enjoy snorkeling, and this was a SUPER snorkeling location. (Remember the phrase "coral gardens" because I think this was the only excursion to use that description.) The water was somewhat shallow and there were some LOTS of fish and at times coral heads that we had to be careful of as we followed the guide between them along the trail. This part of the tour was mild drift snorkeling and we got to do it again since everyone liked it so much! On shore across from the snorkeling area we saw the most beautiful upscale bure (cabins on stilts over water) resort we saw throughout any of the islands in a very calm and remote location. . . . My husband really enjoyed his dives (esp. one where they went out by some lemon sharks on Bora Bora, I think it was?). My neigbors and I booked a cheap "snorkel/swim w/white tipped reef sharks" tour w/a vendor right at the dock (there were several there hawking in Bora Bora, where the ship again spent the night) and it, too, was an excellent tour and lots of fun! Too bad I don't know the name of the guide! Someone from our ship ended up going w/us as their operator (which they had booked ahead of time through recommendations over the net) didn't show up! At most stops we shopped a bit. On Rarotonga we hired a minivan and the driver was supposedly a member of their royalty and clued us in on their heritage and customs - esp. how land is passed down w/in the family, etc. Very interesting!

The last evening in Tahiti is a "hurry up and wait" scenario. The ship tells everyone to be sure to get to the airport in PLENTY of time (several HOURS ahead) to go through security, etc. It's almost best to be just a tiny bit late because then you avoid the crowds! This is a good place to mention this part, too: SO many people have the misconception that the flight to Tahiti is MUCH longer than Hawaii, but it is NOT! Our's was about 7 hrs. from LAX and the way Air Tahiti Nui's planes are configured, they are very comfortable and nicely decorated; service was super and I wouldn't hesitate to fly there w/them again. Maybe our trip didn't seem so bad because we did other things (drove around Pacific Pallisades, etc.) besides sit in the airport the day we left the USA!

So, there you pretty much have it. (In "short form" believe it or not!) If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

Archived