Beals Lobster Pier from Bar Harbor ME

scottbet

We will be in Bar Harbor the first week of October. During a road trip to Bar Harbor one summer, we ate lobster at Beals Lobster Pier in Southwest Harbor. It was excellent...and a lot of fun eating on a working pier. I'm wondering if the restaurant on the pier is open in October, or is it seasonal? Has anyone rented a car for the day in Bar Harbor ? I remember it as being an easy drive to get to Southwest Harbor from Bar Harbor.

What is the date of your visit? Beal's is seasonal, but I couldn't find the closing date on their web page. I would suggest you contact them for the 2016 closing date.

As for a car rental in Bar Harbor, there is none. The closest agency is located at the airport you would have past on your way to BH on your car trip. The airport is Hancock County/Bar Harbor Airport, and is about 12 miles from the tender dock.

You could take a taxi to Beal's and return. One taxi company is At Your Service Taxi & Tours. There are others.

Yes, it would be an easy drive from the rental agency.

SBtS

What is the date of your visit? Beal's is seasonal, but I couldn't find the closing date on their web page. I would suggest you contact them for the 2016 closing date.

As for a car rental in Bar Harbor, there is none. The closest agency is located at the airport you would have past on your way to BH on your car trip. The airport is Hancock County/Bar Harbor Airport, and is about 12 miles from the tender dock.

You could take a taxi to Beal's and return. One taxi company is At Your Service Taxi & Tours. There are others.

Yes, it would be an easy drive from the rental agency.

SBtS

Thanks for the info

oops...just read there are no car rentals available near the tender dock. Guess we will do a trolley tour instead?

Too bad... from our trip earlier, we preferred Southwest Harbor over Bar Harbor

I do have a suggestion for a restaurant in Bar Harbor that you may enjoy. It is Stewman's Lobster Pound (Bar Harbor location). It is located on the waterfront just north of the tender dock, and offers outside seating.

SBtS

The Explorer Shuttle Bus (see exploreacadia.com or barharbormaine.gov) goes to Southwest Harbor, although it would be slower than taking a cab, and I don't know exactly where in SW Harbor the bus stops. However, if all you want to do is get to SW Harbor, it's another option. The bus stop is in a little park not far from the tender pier. Check the frequency in October.

The Explorer Shuttle Bus (see exploreacadia.com or barharbormaine.gov) goes to Southwest Harbor, although it would be slower than taking a cab, and I don't know exactly where in SW Harbor the bus stops. However, if all you want to do is get to SW Harbor, it's another option. The bus stop is in a little park not far from the tender pier. Check the frequency in October.

There is no problem in using the Island Explorer (free bus) to get to SWH during the summer season. After 8/31, the IE runs on a reduced schedule going to and returning from SWH. I would not recommend using IE to go to SWH after 8/31 for lunch because of the reduction in the number of round trips and the times of the remaining trips.

SBtS