Carnival Magic 5th August 2017

Cruisevirgin40

Just booked our first ever cruise!!!! 8 night Eastern Caribbean on 5th August 2017. Super excited!!!!!!!!! Don't know where to start. Do we book shore excursions in advance or is it cheaper in port? Is drinks package worth doing?? Any hints and tips appreciated!!

I'm sure there are many many posts on this site about getting the most bang for your buck when it comes to the first cruise.

What I have learned is that if there is an excursion you really want to do, I would prebook.

Also, who is going?

Adults only, kids too?

What is your stateroom? Balcony? Inside

Lots of tips are pointless if you aren't doing certain things.

The biggest best tip I could give you is READ READ READ anything and everything you can.

It is honestly the best way to learn what to do.

Lots of packing tips on Youtube... lots of cruise videos too.

Have a blast planning this trip.

It really is the most important part.

Go with an open mind, and a full wallet... don't skip when it comes to the trip. Do what you want to do and keep asking questions.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Chass.

Feel free to ask me anything if you should need... but there are a million people on here MUCH smarter then myself who likely have a better answer!!!

Just booked our first ever cruise!!!! 8 night Eastern Caribbean on 5th August 2017. Super excited!!!!!!!!! Don't know where to start. Do we book shore excursions in advance or is it cheaper in port? Is drinks package worth doing?? Any hints and tips appreciated!!

Congrats! How exciting! Do take the time to do some research before you go. A cruise is what you make of it.... Relaxing or busy... It's up to you!

I recommend watching YouTube videos on packing tips. Don't overpack! It's a common mistake for first timers. We like to choose excursions early and get them paid for. If you want a popular one it may sell out quickly. The drinks are around 8-10 bucks so calculate whether the package would be good for you depending on how much you plan to drink. We always get the soda package, but not the alcohol package since we only have a couple drinks per day.

Good luck and happy sailing! :)

I'm sure there are many many posts on this site about getting the most bang for your buck when it comes to the first cruise.

What I have learned is that if there is an excursion you really want to do, I would prebook.

Also, who is going?

Adults only, kids too?

What is your stateroom? Balcony? Inside

Lots of tips are pointless if you aren't doing certain things.

The biggest best tip I could give you is READ READ READ anything and everything you can.

It is honestly the best way to learn what to do.

Lots of packing tips on Youtube... lots of cruise videos too.

Have a blast planning this trip.

It really is the most important part.

Go with an open mind, and a full wallet... don't skip when it comes to the trip. Do what you want to do and keep asking questions.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Chass.

Feel free to ask me anything if you should need... but there are a million people on here MUCH smarter then myself who likely have a better answer!!!

Hi. Myself and my husband and our boys age 14 and 11. Have booked a balcony cabin (6492) on deck 6. Overlooks the promenade deck....,know some people don't like this location but we're not bothered. Just hope we don't get any noise from the vibe club underneath! Have already changed cabin once as we were originally assigned a cove balcony on deck 2. Have been watching YouTube like a mad woman so know the Magic inside and out!

Think we'll give the drinks package a miss. May all do the soda package (definitely for the kids) then just get the drinks as we go.

Thanks!!

Congrats! How exciting! Do take the time to do some research before you go. A cruise is what you make of it.... Relaxing or busy... It's up to you!

I recommend watching YouTube videos on packing tips. Don't overpack! It's a common mistake for first timers. We like to choose excursions early and get them paid for. If you want a popular one it may sell out quickly. The drinks are around 8-10 bucks so calculate whether the package would be good for you depending on how much you plan to drink. We always get the soda package, but not the alcohol package since we only have a couple drinks per day.

Good luck and happy sailing! :)

We're flying from the UK and spending 6 nights in Orlando first before the cruise so we will be restricted to luggage allowance anyway.

Have been watching YouTube....anything and everything cruise related! My husband is bored of it already! Lol

Think we'll go with the soda packages for us and the kids and perhaps just get the drinks as we go. My only stipulation to hubby is I want a cocktail in the souvenir glass!!

Thanks for the reply 😃

Here's my advice. Join your roll call. You will get a lot of info. Also visit the ports board. You can see what others have done in port. There are lots of reviews of excursions, both ship sponsored and independent. There are lots of things you can do that are free or almost free. We always book our own excursions with independent companies. It is cheaper and IMHO, better. Just do your homework. Also each person is allowed to bring on one twelve pack of soda. Maybe you can avoid the soda package this way. Bon Voyage.

Check out the "first time cruisers" section here. It's good for ideas/suggestions etc. I still check it out.

Make sure you also check the Carnival site on the FAQ's page, sadly I think they got rid of their forum or it's under construction or something.

Here is their site info on the cheers package (this will be our 5th cruise) and personally find it is too expensive. There is no way 3 of us have ever drank $1000 worth of alcohol. Now the "bubbles" card 2 of us get. The cheers package is if 1 gets it everyone over 21 gets it

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

Coincidentally, just found this info on the cheers program it should help

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1792047

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I love all the Magic threads. We are on the Magic for NYE. I'm assuming it will be sold out and packed. I wanted to wait and book excursions at dock time but I'm worried the heavy crowds will mean everything is sold out. So I guess I should pre-book?

First off congrats on the cruise! I have tip to offer on the excursions. We are on the Magic sailing 4-8 and had previously booked a couple excursions that we changed our mind on. We recently cancelled them and the money was back on my CC in a couple days. Point being to grab them now knowing you can adjust plans as you go. No big deal. But get faster to the fun as soon as you can! We love it. There is honestly enough info on this site alone to answer all your questions you will have as you prepare. Don't forget to check out ports of call and home port boards here! This will be our first on the Magic so we will be watching your thread. Take care and half the fun is the planning!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Congrats on booking your first cruise. As someone mentioned earlier, I also recommend reading everything on this forum about your ship. Also, there's several good videos on YouTube on the Magic, which I shared with my group that's going a few weeks after your cruise. The one thing I try to tell everyone, is not to try to do everything on the ship, you'll stress yourself out trying to attend every talk (port and shopping), production show, bingo, etc. It's a vacation, take time to relax and just enjoy the ship, your family and new friends, and don't forget about some "me" time. I also recommend booking an excursion onboard, if its something your really want to do. Otherwise, you can wait til you get into port to find an excursion or tour guide. They're will be plenty to choose from!!!