What differences will I notice....(please, no flaming)

Esmerelda

Was on the Miracle Jan 05 and cannot wait to do my second RCCL jan 06 on the Mariner. First was Explorer. The Miracle was ugly! I hated it. The slide was rarely open, and it was not due to weather conditions. Due to staff just not being there to open it. Had to fight them tooth and nail for photo coupons promised to me as a "I am sorry for the bad stuff" on a previous Carnival cruise. They nickeled and dimed me for a few coupons. Never believe DO NOT WORRY. I worried and then they hassled me the entire crusie telling me to keep checking back ad emailing Miami office. So this year , we are looking forward to NO DINING staff doing the cha cha cha or anything each and every night. Yes, RCCL does a staff song ONCE on the cruise. CHeesy as it is, it is only once. Love the live piano music while we dine too.

I find it interesting to read the comments regarding the cigarette smoke on Carnival vs. RCI. We've only been on one Carnival cruise and probably will not go on another, due to the smoke, the ship decor and while larger, the ugly cabins.

We have found the 2 lines to be similar with activities, food and entertainment, but RCI just being a bit more upscale. Why is it that the Carnival ships have more smokers? Is it really the smoking areas are handled differently? I've had a couple of co-workers recently return from cruises on Carnival and while I thought they would fit right in, both being very casual and easy going people, they both commented on the smoke problem.

We had fun on both Carnival and RC - both were fantastic vacations. RC was a bit "classier" and the decor was so much better. We were on an older Carnival ship so that might explain (to some extent) the ultra-cheesy decor. U-G-L-Y. But the Carnival cruise was a bit more "festive" - RC seemed to be kind of dead at night. We aren't party animals but don't like empty bars! We didn't have smoke problems on either (we are non-smokers). We are "foodies" and thought the food was enjoyable (not gourmet) on both.

Definitely give the RC cruise a try. I have read good things about their kids' program. I have also read that kids can get into trouble if left on their own with the "wrong" crowd (vandalism and the like). So be sure to stay in touch with them on a regular basis (don't mean to sound preachy, just summarizing the thoughts expressed on a bazillion threads on the subject).

Take one of the Voyager class ships as recommended earlier - lots of family oriented activities. If you don't enjoy the RC cruise, maybe cruising isn't your best vacay option. We are lucky to have so many choices!!!! :) Have fun wherever you go!

I enjoy cruising on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, but prefer newer ships on both cruiselines for cruises 7 or more days because they offer more variety in dining. There are things I like and dislike about both cruiselines.

In my opinion, Royal Caribbean ships are more appealing to the eye. I don't care for the disco look on Carnival. However, I do feel Carnival has better entertainment and more fun activities. Carnival cabins are much larger. I am not an athlete, so except for miniature golf, I don't take advantage of other sports activities offered on Royal Caribbean.

I would like to try the Voyager class ship on Royal Caribbean. So far the Radiance class is the largest I've sailed. I will continue sailing both cruiselines depending on itineraries and price. I would like to sail Norwegian next just to see how I like the freestyle dining concept. I am not thrilled with assigned dining. I tend to eat more often in the buffet because I don't like eating at a specific time each night.

I do enjoy the solarium on Royal Caribbean ships, but also like the rear outdoor pool on Carnival. If I was sailing from a cold port, I would give the edge to Royal Caribbean. Otherwise, it is a tossup. The pizza on Carnival is the best at sea, but I would not select a ship based on pizza. Any ship that gives me a week away from my job is delightful to me.

Just a note on the smoking issue on RC ships. On deck, only the starboard side (right side, facing forward) is smoking. The open air bars allow smoking. The inside bars have smoking areas. They're rather small and I don't think they'd be intrusive for the non-smoking passengers. All dining venues are non-smoking.

Hope this helps.

Archived