Getaway going?

I'm on very thin ice here and going by memory (will never find the post again), but I *think* I remember someone saying recently that buffet personnel on their Escape sailing were encouraging people to take their buffet food to eat at the MV tables. At the time I wondered if they were trying to make the MV appear more full, but maybe it was happening during breakfast hours or something.

That could work. Hope someone lets us know if this worked for them. It seems it would be easier before 11am when MG opens officially. I remember years ago they would give you a tray in the buffet which would make it easier to take it up a floor.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Enjoying the view of the ocean, the smell of the salt air, and feeling the cool sea breeze are some of the things I have always enjoyed about cruising.

Sorry, I have another question - on Deck 15 of the Deck plan of the Getaway, there are two locations titled "Open-Air Garden Cafe" - is there any outside seating in that location? [Deck Plan]

Thanks again!

Enjoying the view of the ocean, the smell of the salt air, and feeling the cool sea breeze are some of the things I have always enjoyed about cruising.

Sorry, I have another question - on Deck 15 of the Deck plan of the Getaway, there are two locations titled "Open-Air Garden Cafe" - is there any outside seating in that location? [Deck Plan]

Thanks again!

Found the answer -- From what I read, the only "Open-Air" you get is when the sliding doors are open.

Thanks again!

It's sort of open air...

There are no walls to the forward, maybe a wind-reduction partition thingy.

It's definitely not INDOORS. No A/C.

I'll try to find a photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Found the answer -- From what I read, the only "Open-Air" you get is when the sliding doors are open.

There are some tables there outside of the Garden Buffet, but it's enclosed with glass walls. To me it felt kind of like a tunnel. Maybe some others have actually sat at those and have a better feel for it.

At the Grills that are changing to Margaritaville, there are glass walls, but there is much more sunlight and airflow. I think its kind of a glass 'fence' with a few inches of open air between the lengths of glass.

Maybe someone else could describe it better

149d69b6acd845d3a67c6a6b487f477b_thumb.jpg

e762aac43440a2fe282f6d602402ce4a_thumb.jpg

I realize this is a little cheesy.

In the picture of the model, if you look to where the Glass begins to the left of the water slide deck, you get to the "outdoor" seating.

If you see in the very dark picture of my family, there is a glass rounded doorway on the left. That is where you enter into the buffet. That is where the AC starts.

wow. it should not be such a struggle to find a spot outside to have your buffet breakfast or lunch. The irony is these breakaway class ships with the Waterfront billed as ships to enjoy the great outdoors and yet here we are!

Added to this is that the buffet was apparently already a madhouse at peak times without eliminating The Flamingo, the other buffet option. Norwegian doesn't seem to think its decisions through. I recently saw a list of worse cruise lines and, at the time, was surprised to see NCL on the list along with Costa and MSC. The reason given was the overabundance of upcharges and poor corporate decision-making.

wow. it should not be such a struggle to find a spot outside to have your buffet breakfast or lunch. The irony is these breakaway class ships with the Waterfront billed as ships to enjoy the great outdoors and yet here we are!

Maybe it's just me, but the tables outside the buffet on Escape and also Getaway were always empty. The only time I ever saw people eating there is if the inside seating was packed and there was overflow. It's certainly not a "struggle" to get a seat. Most prefer to stay in the air conditioning.

Yes. I actually have to say it wasn't difficult getting a seat in the open air area. The seats we found to be most full were the ones just inside the AC at the forward end of the buffet. We never had a problem finding seats if we were willing to walk more aft when in the buffet.

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

As the photos and previous discussion indicated, the little "open-air" area was not very appealing. It is open to the stairs above and certainly not pleasant like the Great Outdoors area on other NCL ships including The Epic that we sailed on in the past. It is certainly no great surprise that no one is willing to sit there. I would not sit there either.

No doubt there are fans of air-conditioned buffet rooms (no pun intended), but many of us sail to experience the open ocean air. I had intended to eat breakfast at The Flamingo Grill but sadly that is gone.

Otherwise, many have reported long lines at the buffet at peak times, so I am suggesting that those could get worse when they close The Flamingo Grill.

I'm in the minority as I loved that area. AC is a turn - off to me as I want the warm air. I also loved that it was close to the bar (which was decidedly less crowded late in the day BTW - a great go-to). There are also tables heading toward the swimming area on the port side.

It doesn't make up for the loss of a complimentary venue, but I want to encourage you that you may still find it pleasant. :)