Pay gratuities in cash at front desk?

Hi,

Is it possible to pay gratuities in cash at the beginning of cruise?

Thx

Certainly you can deposit an amount equal to the Hotel Service Charge in your on-board account at the beginning of, or actually anytime, during a cruise. They don't maintain a separate account just for those charges so any deposited money is used to pay any charges which would include the HSC.

Yes

But remember that HAL will still require you to pay $60 per person per day inadvance.

Not to be picky KK but it's not so much that you "pay" $60 a day as it is that they have placed a "hold" on your credit card that equals $60 a day for the length of the cruise. If you don't charge anything else during a day all you have is the HSC which won't be $60 per day.

You can also pre-purchase OBC before you leave which would then be used for any on board expenses including the HSC. It is under "Gifts and Indulgences" where you can purchase just about any amount you would like as multiples of each 'card' are available. This is refundable OBC if you do not use it all.

Yes

But remember that HAL will still require you to pay $60 per person per day inadvance.

You can also pre-purchase OBC before you leave which would then be used for any on board expenses including the HSC. It is under "Gifts and Indulgences" where you can purchase just about any amount you would like as multiples of each 'card' are available. This is refundable OBC if you do not use it all.

And if you do purchase OBC in advance or at the Front Desk, you do not have to register a card so there is no "Hold". If you register a card, the full $60/person/day hold is placed on the card no matter how much OBC you have.

And if you do purchase OBC in advance or at the Front Desk, you do not have to register a card so there is no "Hold". If you register a card, the full $60/person/day hold is placed on the card no matter how much OBC you have.

Goodmorning Richwmn!

You beat me to it 😀 I was going to say the same thing!

Have a great day!

Denise:)

thanks for all the responses!

I should have asked this in my original question.

I want to pay for someone else's 'required' gratuities that is a member of our cabin, but then allow the person to register their own credit card on their cruise charge card for any additional purchases they make. Right now the person's account has my credit card assigned to their account, but I would like to switch this once we get onboard. So can I just go pay cash at the front desk for the gratuities for their account, and then have our cabin mate change the account to have their credit card, and not mine? I understood that the amount I would pay would just get credited to their account, and not necessarily applied to the "Gratuities" amount, but if the person made no other charges on the cruise, then they would be even steven.

I would pay would just get credited to their account, and not necessarily applied to the "Gratuities" amount, but if the person made no other charges on the cruise, then they would be even steven.
Correct, but as Richwmn said their credit card would have the $60/day hold placed on it. This hold is placed at check-in time, so as it stands now it would go on your card and have to be switched on board. Why not just change the credit card registered for them right now? You can still pay cash on their account once on board, and if no other charges were posted the full hold would be released at cruise end.

Edited by jtl513

thanks for all the responses!

I should have asked this in my original question.

I want to pay for someone else's 'required' gratuities that is a member of our cabin, but then allow the person to register their own credit card on their cruise charge card for any additional purchases they make. Right now the person's account has my credit card assigned to their account, but I would like to switch this once we get onboard. So can I just go pay cash at the front desk for the gratuities for their account, and then have our cabin mate change the account to have their credit card, and not mine? I understood that the amount I would pay would just get credited to their account, and not necessarily applied to the "Gratuities" amount, but if the person made no other charges on the cruise, then they would be even steven.

A caution on this. If your card is registered and then you wait until you board and go to the front desk, it is possible that both cards will have the $60/person/day hold applied.

I would do like John mentioned and go ahead and put their card on the account and then once on board go to the front desk and apply the cash. Or even easier, call ships services and buy them obc as a gift - very easy to do.