Weather and temps on TransAtlantic (east-west) cruise

golfguyhhi

For any of you who may have done any of the Europe to Miami re-positioning cruises last November or December, what kind of weather and temperature conditions did you encounter? We're doing Riviera's Barcelona to Miami this November.

I know past performance is not an indicator of future results, but typically, should we expect it to be cool until we get closer to The Bahamas?

Trying to figure out what kind of clothes we'll need to pack.

Thanks!

For any of you who may have done any of the Europe to Miami re-positioning cruises last November or December, what kind of weather and temperature conditions did you encounter? We're doing Riviera's Barcelona to Miami this November.

I know past performance is not an indicator of future results, but typically, should we expect it to be cool until we get closer to The Bahamas?

Trying to figure out what kind of clothes we'll need to pack.

Thanks!

The formula, inasmuch as there CAN be a formula, is to look up the average temperature in the ports and then assume that the temperature will be ten degrees less once the ship is six sailing hours away from that land mass.

RVA161121.jpg

In your case, the average temperatures for November are:

Barcelona 62°F

Cartegena 63°F

Malaga 61°F

Funchal 70°F

Bermuda 70°F

Bahamas 77°F

Miami 73°F

Edited by JimandStan

JimandStan:

Thanks. I see what you mean -- more of a procedure than a formula, but it told me just what I needed to know. Thanks again.

There is a nautical book used by seamen called "Sailing Routes of the World"

available from Nautical book stores.

This book has almost all the common routes for ships Give wind weather and sea state on the average for every month of the year... Shows a 100 year history and is a go to book for professional navigators. Another source is obtain a set of Pilot Charts for the Atlantic, breaks the entire ocean up into grid squares and gives a 12 month history of the weather and sea in each square...

Or you can stress out and plan to dress in layers, knowing you will probably have sunny but cool days and cool evenings. Restaurants are usually cool aboard so plan on a jacket for men or a shawl/sweater for women.

We have done two crossings. One was lovely perfect weather in the mid 70's-80 during the day. Water smooth as glass. Being on the pool deck devine.

The 2nd one was rainy and chilly some of the time, sunny some of the time but windy, Temps in the 50's and 60's even in Bermuda - rain. We never used our verandah. Wore sweaters in the daytime and wraps for evening too.

Someone said layers and that's how to do it.

We crossed from Miami to Europe at the end of April to the beginning of May a couple of years ago on Celebrity and the sea was like glass and the weather was really good.

We are doing the same journey on Oceania next year but it will be a month earlier ie: end March beginning of April and I'm really hoping the weather gods will be kind to us.