Husband got bit by Brown Recluse on the Breeze! True story!

macfam76

Less than 10% of brown recluse bites will result in necrotic symptoms.

That means only 1 in 10 will actually do any amount of destroying the flesh.

Calm down people. You're scared of the boogey man.

I was bit by one when golfing. It was on the front of my lower shin so not much flesh there. I hooked my ball deep in the woods and found it next to a brush pile. Felt like a mosquito bite...so I slapped it without looking..ended up with a pile of brown blood and guts on my palm. Did not think too much about it until I played 4-5 more holes...felt like a sprained my ankle...followed by minor flu like symptoms by the end of the round. Just went to bet and woke up the next morning feeling better. The area of the bite discolored to about the size of a nickel. The little bit of flesh in the center died (3mm?) and there was a small crater for a couple weeks. Healed up nicely with no further issues. Never did go to a doctor.

I checked google images for a picture of the spider, but the photos of the wounds is SCARY!

Hope your husband's appointment goes well today.

Having been raised in TX and living in AR, we heard horror stories of the brown recluse as kids. Working in the chicken houses, I was bitten through my glove on my pinky by a large fuzzy brown spider with a pretty fiddle looking thing on it's back. (More like a dark brown with light brown racing stripes.) It was instantly painful and started getting more so by the time I got back to the house.

I look on the internet and see that the actual brown recluse is a ugly brown, naked looking spider with a vague fiddle marking on it's back. And reading the above experiences, it would appear that the pain level isn't so instantaneous but builds.

Bottom line is that it is hard to identify spiders...especially if they are squashed.:D

I truly hope your husband is ok, that is a terrible way to come home. I had a family member get bit once under similar circumstances. He was staying at a hotel and got bit on his last morning. He came home and the bite kept getting worse and finally went to the doctor to find out it was a dang brown recluse. I know people are worried about Zika but I'll take my chances compared to the way that bite looked. He's lucky to still have his ear.

I had really hoped this thread would stay positive and uplifting. I was amazed the cheerleader crowd either avoided or had positive things to say. I was honestly worried a certain poster would come in and try to question your perception of the bite as being irrational or hyperbole. Of course a new troll comes in and tries to give the family a hard time. Shame shame. I know corporations are people too but why do people get in such a tiff when someone gets a benefit that they didn't? Enjoy your future cruise OP!

Right there with Stevefrisco. Last I read on this post, people were sympathetic or talking about experiences. Wow..a couple of days and the jerks come out.

Once again..do you people talk to the folks you deal with face to face like this? I'm betting you don't. Empathy is something we learn from watching the facial expressions of people when we are unkind to them. Have you become so absorbed into the internet that you've lost it?

OP..I hope you're disregarding the mean people. Because mean people suck.

And you still think it is fair that CCL gave you 20%?

I don't get any of this either. When I first read this, I was like, soooooo, why exactly did Carnival refund 20%? And can't see at all how any of that would have warranted a total refund of the cruise fare. Good the guy is ok, but just can't see how or why Carnival would need to reimburse anything.

It sounds like OP told them the truth, didn't expect anything just wanted to make them aware (since presumably the spider could still be onboard, that's a good idea!), and was given a discount on a future cruise as a little extra. What's wrong with that? If OP had insisted on it or expected it, I could see the issue.

Edited by berrieh

It sounds like OP told them the truth, didn't expect anything just wanted to make them aware (since presumably the spider could still be onboard, that's a good idea!), and was given a discount on a future cruise as a little extra. What's wrong with that? If OP had insisted on it or expected it, I could see the issue.

OP said "Carnival gave us 20% a future cruise and I think that was fair." indicating he thought he deserved it.

A bad bite is different than a sunburn etc. The OP IMO was not seeking freebe, it but her husband got it at a meal...on a ship. While hard a ship works very hard to stay bug free. She told them to let them know they needed a spider spray or whatever they do. Ship decided to offer the 20% off next one...she did not ask..but thought it was fair. Ship offered as a thank you and getting something off next cruise is not paying for this one. A LOT of revenue will still happen with a family on a cruise..offer can be off base price you know???? and good will was encouraged....as it was sent..no blame to Carnival or OP. Bites, scrapes, an animal step or kick and all cause different reactions at different times on the same person..I've seen it on my dad a sort of retired rancher still at 82 because he just had to get himself a mule at 82 after going down the Grand Canyon on one..LOL.

Normal to say..."thought that was fair" does not indicate anything more or less than that.

Bon Voyage OP...your husband is cool...takes it in stride..and has pro and con of high tolerance for these things.

Edited by sjn911

OP said "Carnival gave us 20% a future cruise and I think that was fair." indicating he thought he deserved it.

I did not read it that way. But come on, 20% off is probably the same rate he could book if he did like many here, checking prices every 15-20 minutes for months on end and paying for it with Verizon gift cards.....

I have only been offered a percentage off once. It was 25 percent off next cruise once...in my whopping 6 or 7 cruises since 1980. It was off a next Costa Cruise and 7 day as I had been on a 7 day. It was 1992/1993 or so.... That time it was off the brochure rate....not sure if they even have that rate as a base price now to the masses, but it was not off whatever the real cost of the cruise was at booking and no deal.....ever.

Edited by sjn911

FWIW a friend of mine was bitten by a brown recluse last year. She lost both legs and one hand due to the poison. She is coming home from the hospital this week after several months in ICU, coma, hospital recovery and a rehabilitation center. I think Carnival needs to take this VERY seriously, and the OP has every right to be upset, and Carnival should be making sure they are VERY OK. My friend just had a bite mark and sore in the bite area for a week after the bite before anybody realized the infection had spread throughout her body, it almost killed her.

FWIW a friend of mine was bitten by a brown recluse last year. She lost both legs and one hand due to the poison. She is coming home from the hospital this week after several months in ICU, coma, hospital recovery and a rehabilitation center. I think Carnival needs to take this VERY seriously, and the OP has every right to be upset, and Carnival should be making sure they are VERY OK. My friend just had a bite mark and sore in the bite area for a week after the bite before anybody realized the infection had spread throughout her body, it almost killed her.

Thank you for your sharing and good thoughts to your friend..such a hard story....Just kudos to folks who watch things and follow up, people in pairs are so much better..and so hard when it does not have a happiest ending whatever the issues "that one time"...thanks for your post...not to be taken lightly any swelling or reaction.

My little nephew's forehead swelled up huge on a little regular non-zika mosquito bite at one this summer...and pronto to the emergency clinic they went and benadryl (sp) for all ages if possible should be carried I think...but not THE ANSWER...just a step to the pros in tough situations.

Edited by sjn911